Page 2 of 2
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:32 pm
by FedUp
If possible ask for an OGD (Oesophago-gastroduodenoscopy).
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:39 pm
by jess
FedUp wrote:If possible ask for an OGD (Oesophago-gastroduodendoscopy).
What is this? Is this the same as an EGD, where they insert a scope down your throat down to your duodenum? If so, I've already had this procedure through my GI doc and it revealed no abnormalities.
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:17 pm
by FedUp
From the info book I got with my appt letter
"the endoscopist will introduce the gastroscope into your mouth, down your gullet into your stomach and then duodenum."
from a site
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictio ... odenoscopy
I honestly don't know all this medical lingo, there seems to be different names for the same things. I'm still awaiting CT scan results from FEBRUARY. Have an ENT appt 23rd of this month for that (hopefully it doesn't get delayed another month again).
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:16 pm
by Shit4Breath
@Jess
the 550mg 2x daily seems kinda low for curing SIBO. In all the studies I've seen 1400mg were the normal daily dosing 400mg 3x daily....some even went up to 1600mg a day.
How long have you been taking them all togather?
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:10 pm
by Shit4Breath
btw
I've heard this medicine has the POTENTIAL of killing hpylori as well as sibo...but because rifaximin does not have a high rate of penetration for mucus in the gut....I've decided to start a raw juicing cleanse and avoid all carbohydrates before and while taking it. I'm also going to take a mucolytic agent like mucinex to help with clearing mucus. I have to wait sometime for my meds to get here from England so that gives me plenty of time to clean my system.
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 pm
by lindaf
Hi Jess,
I don't know what type of Bob you have, does it smell like poo? I swear taking a spoonful of apple cider vinegar helped me. Try it every evening and see if it can help you too. I think the Dr. said maybe I needed more acid in my body to help digest my food. I have been trying to find help for bb for five years. I tried this on my own and I swear it's the only thing that has helped at all. I have been to every kind of Dr. with unsatisfactory results. I'm anxious to see if it works for you too. It's cheap the taste is bad but it's definitely worth it.
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:03 pm
by jess
Shit4Breath wrote:@Jess
the 550mg 2x daily seems kinda low for curing SIBO. In all the studies I've seen 1400mg were the normal daily dosing 400mg 3x daily....some even went up to 1600mg a day.
How long have you been taking them all togather?
This is very interesting and thank you for mentioning that. I'm not vey familiar with this antibiotic myself, therefore did not mention any dosages to my doctor when I called his office. I don't know what to do here. I could increase the daily dose myself but I don't want to play doctor and I don't think he would be happy with me if I did that without talking to him first. Or maybe I should just continue with the prescribed dose until I'm done with the month supply and if nothing happens I could go back and ask him to give me a script for another round with a highr dosage. I don't know if he'll agree to do that thou.
To answer you question I think today is my 8th day total on the antibiotic. In terms of h pylori I tested negative for it twice so definately I don't have it. BTW did you order your meds from an online pharmacy. Is that including the rifaximin? Do you plan on taking it as well. If you do keep us posted on your results.
lindaf wrote:Hi Jess,
I don't know what type of Bob you have, does it smell like poo? I swear taking a spoonful of apple cider vinegar helped me. Try it every evening and see if it can help you too. I think the Dr. said maybe I needed more acid in my body to help digest my food. I have been trying to find help for bb for five years. I tried this on my own and I swear it's the only thing that has helped at all. I have been to every kind of Dr. with unsatisfactory results. I'm anxious to see if it works for you too. It's cheap the taste is bad but it's definitely worth it.
Apple cider vinegar is one of those things I don't think I've ever tried. Actually not too long ago a friend of mine mentioned to me to take this as well, but I want to wait until I'm no longer on the antibiotic. If the ABX doesn't work I'll definately try the ACV. And yes the bb I have smells like poo. So how long have you been taking this? Are you cured from it, or does it only decrease the bb for a period of time?
Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:38 am
by Shit4Breath
@jess
This is the same doctor who never heard of tmau, right...because they were prescribed by the doctor with specific orders it's good to just following them like you stated, just thought I throw what I read out there. I ordered mine from an Englanish pharmacy for a pretty...
When I tried collodial silver I remember reading something that came inside the instruction manual in the packaging that said the silver would not work effectively unless the gut was cleaned out so they recommended doing some kind of colon cleanse before starting the silver. Idk but it just feels right for me to try the same approach when taking these antibiotics. Once complete with everything I will update on progress.
Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:51 pm
by jess
BTW, I've been off the ABX for 3 days now because of some unrelated reason.. I plan on restarting them tomorrow.
Yes it's that same doctor who didn't know about tmau. Good luck with what you will be doing Shit4Breath
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:30 am
by jess
UPDATE:
I'm still on the ABX 2XD and the bb is still present. There's a slight improvement but nothing to get excited about. I have about two more wks to go to finish them; we'll see what happens then.
Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:04 pm
by Shit4Breath
Jess
Any results?
Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:46 pm
by jess
Hey unfortunately nothing major.
So I only have two more days to finish with the antibiotic and unfortunately my bad breath is still present. I believe there's a slight improvement but I'm not sure if that's gonna last although I hope it does.
I want to say though, eventhough xifaxin does not cure me I encourage all of you to explore the possible of SIBO and maybe try this antibiotic (under the supervision of your doctor, of course) because it might work for you.
So the update is I don't think I'm going to try another round of this antibiotic, therefore I'm gonna say xifaxin is not the cure for me.
Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm
by jess
As you guys can see from one of the posts on this thread my GI doctor had also referred me to an allergist, whom I went and saw about two weeks ago. I was tested for environmental and food allergies and I testedd negative for all the agents.
I just came back from my follow up appointment with the allergist and because I'm not allergic to anything he tested me for he sent me for a ct scan of my sinuses to see if there's anything there that could cause the odor. I'll go for the ct scan in two days (friday) and I'll keep you posted on the result.
Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:57 pm
by jess
UPDATE:
I went for the CAT scan of my sinuses and the results were normal; and they didn't detect any infection.
Also after I was done with the first course of the antibiotic I had contacted my doctor's office to tell him that the bb was still there and that I wanted to try Metronidazole. The nurse practitioner called back and told me to try the rifaximin for another month. She told me people have stayed on this antibiotic for a long time without problem.
So it's been about three weeks now since I've been on the second course of rifaximin. There's definately some improvement on my breath while I'm on it, but I'm afraid that my breath will return to its normal bad again once I'm done with it.
If it goes bad again I'll contact my doctor again to try to get the metronidazole.
So that's my plan, if anybody has any suggestions, please feel free to share. Thanks.