Your Email Address:

First Name:

PLS HELP...

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Guys lets not seriously accuse anyone else of NOT having BB... halitophobia, especially members that have been around. If people are coming here everyday, I think you give the benefit of doubt for people. It's bad enough having this issue, but worse when people say it's in your head. #-o

I think there is something to study and learn about the fact that we may be immune to other's scent. Like said above, they have the exact same situation. Not all of us have the same cause of BB, but the more we categorize the types, the better we know if certain cures will help. It's possible some of us took say for ex... Vit C, and it worked, but for others it didn't. Or tonsil surgery might help for some, others it won't. Some might only have PND and could just focus on that.

Based on previous posts, I'd bet that if I was with JC and Jon, they wouldn't smell me.

By the way, watch it with that swapping saliva test... might become too friendly :D

Busted
God

Post by Busted »

Let's all pretend we suffer from halitophobia, whether it is or not. We don't have bb, and just wait till someone makes a serious comment about it. Ignore every reaction u get and all the gums u get offered. Just speak constantly and wait for someone to say that your breath is really a problem for them. It's not really goin to take long in my case. That I know for sure. You see, if this problem was just a problem for me. I'd stop bitching and complaining about it on this forum. But since it's more like a problem for others I speak to, I have no other choice but to not think about it. I don't think I would like to speak to someone who would constantly make me feel uncomrfortable and hold my breath. :roll:

I think both members forgot to bring their noses, which was a very good idea btw. Or maybe the bacteria that cause the smell did not want to invade their noses, because they already have those bacteria in them. I'm just making stuff up...
jc
Sheriff

Post by jc »

Ha- ha, Elliot. We only did the wrist lick test(using our own wrists_LOL) cuz we were desperate to smell each other. When we couldn`t smell each other I thought "what the hell are we supposed to do now". If we met last november i would think that the oregano cured me but that`s not the case cuz the reactions came back even before christmas.

I assure you Busted that our sense of smell were fine that time.I`ve smelled bb from strangers before & even from my nephew but his was a temporary bb caused by sore throat & a clogged nose which is totally different than mine.Maybe you guys should meet up more often to see for yourselves if this would happen again. We`ve got nothing to lose anyway. It`s a lot cheaper than going to a doctor who`ll just tell you that you don`t have bad breath.
greenman
Advanced

Post by greenman »

the nose gets desensitized to bad odors -.-

the bad reactions we face is near on a subconcious level. it's also very difficult to tell someone they reek! infact only at their worst will they probably say you stink and not in your prescence.
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

:-k
Last edited by thanatos on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
deekey

Post by deekey »

Hey guys I can attest to this strange phenomenom.

I met up with a fellow sufferer from a different online group.
We were together for hours and neither of us could detect a thing.

And I know I have a problem, because I get told to my face straight up every once in awhile.

Actually, today was one of those days where I overheard a pretty obvious comment. Which is why I am on this forum. I tend to visit when I am in the depths of depression over the condition.

Anyway, I don't understand it, but it's real, and btw I have a great nose and I have smelled the condition on other people as well.

I know there are a lot of different types of BB, and I'm sure there are many different causes. Maybe, people with the same causes are unable to detect it on each other. It maybe something to explore.

Anyway, JC and Jon where are you guys from? Maybe I could join you all in a meet up to test these theories or at least offer support. I am in Southern CA near Los Angeles, if anyone else is out there and interested in meeting up, PM or email me.
jc
Sheriff

Post by jc »

Hi deekey. Jon & I live in the philippines so a meet up is impossible but we can pm each other for support & we could share a list of theories & treatments that we`ve tried. I also notice some people that are immune to my breath unfortunately most people are not. Maybe we have the same bacteria or something. How long have you had bb ?
sean

Post by sean »

My mother told me that my grandfather had atrocious breath, but I can never remember smelling anything. On the other hand I have smelled the breath of complete strangers. I have also met people who seem to be completely immune to my smell (just like JC) even when they come up close. On the other hand people have actually used their top lip to cover their nose while I am speaking to them. I once went to see a movie and the couple behind me moved to another seat as soon as they sat down. This thing is way more complicated than we can ever imagine.

BTW, I have found that children are the best people to ask if you really want to know if your breath stinks: they will be quite honest about it. They have to be at the age when social graces are irrelevant to them or they will try not to hurt your feelings like everyone else.
sweets07
Advanced

Post by sweets07 »

it's amazing how impossible it is to be subjective about our own breath. i can smell bb on people and have smelled fecal breath on at least two people this week. yet when i start to sense a garbage/stale smell on my own breath (i still suffer from what I perceive as occasional bb post-tonsillectomy), no one else can smell it. i asked my best friend often and she'd say, it smells like breath or whatever i just ate. i asked my sister and she says it smells like warm air. my dad says it smells like toothpaste. it's gotten to the point where all three of these people think that i not only made this bb thing up, but that i need to get counseling. maybe so. having suffered from chronic bb and hiding it for years not telling anyone what i was going through, has taken it's toll on me. i can remember almost every moment i've suffered from people findout about my problem and then laughing at me or talking about how to confront me about my bb. it hurts looking back at that experience and now knowing that the people i've confided in about my bb think it was all in my head.
sweets07
Advanced

Post by sweets07 »

sean wrote:My mother told me that my grandfather had atrocious breath, but I can never remember smelling anything. On the other hand I have smelled the breath of complete strangers. I have also met people who seem to be completely immune to my smell (just like JC) even when they come up close. On the other hand people have actually used their top lip to cover their nose while I am speaking to them. I once went to see a movie and the couple behind me moved to another seat as soon as they sat down. This thing is way more complicated than we can ever imagine.

BTW, I have found that children are the best people to ask if you really want to know if your breath stinks: they will be quite honest about it. They have to be at the age when social graces are irrelevant to them or they will try not to hurt your feelings like everyone else.
i found that some people think that any smell on a person's breath is atrocious. i like to think of those people as breath snobs! as for people reacting to your breath, a lot of times they aren't. for the times that they are the smell could really just be stale. i think it's those times we walk away thinking we're so gross and smell so bad, when really people are just being sensitive to smells that really aren't that offensive.

like my best friend always thinks she has bb, and i've only ever smelled a BAD smell on her breath (fishy) once when she was talking and once when i leaned in to smell her breath. she asked me to test hers. but after i leaned away and she continued talking i smelled nothing.
Mico
Junior

Post by Mico »

thanatos wrote:If you two suffer from H pylori, then it is conceivable that you can't smell eachother...
Where did you get that info from? I hear that for the first time. Any link on that?
jc
Sheriff

Post by jc »

Hi sweets07 & nelly. I remember a few members(from different sites) complaining that they can constantly smell their breath but says they don`t receive any reaction.I`ve always wondered if that was really possible or just halitophobia. I`m no expert so I don`t know if the brain could manipulate one`s sense of smell to produce an imaginary odor. During our meet-up, there was a point that I felt that my mouth was getting dry & I could smell that it`s not fresh anymore but when I asked Jon he said he still can`t smell anything. Maybe there`s more to our sense of smell than meets the eye.
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

sweets07 wrote:like my best friend always thinks she has bb, and i've only ever smelled a BAD smell on her breath (fishy) once when she was talking and once when i leaned in to smell her breath. she asked me to test hers. but after i leaned away and she continued talking i smelled nothing.
Yea I notcied that too, when you get really close to people like 10 cm, you can sometimes smell their breath, but if you go further away you can not. It's like there's something in front of their mouth that eliminates the smell. It can't travel with the breath. It isn't like chronic halitosis, I have seen people reacting to my breath from like 3 meters away. Imagine them standing like 20 cm away from you. They would have no other choice but to cover their noses. ](*,)
nelly

Post by nelly »

jc wrote:Hi sweets07 & nelly. I remember a few members(from different sites) complaining that they can constantly smell their breath but says they don`t receive any reaction.I`ve always wondered if that was really possible or just halitophobia. I`m no expert so I don`t know if the brain could manipulate one`s sense of smell to produce an imaginary odor. During our meet-up, there was a point that I felt that my mouth was getting dry & I could smell that it`s not fresh anymore but when I asked Jon he said he still can`t smell anything. Maybe there`s more to our sense of smell than meets the eye.
Being able to smell myself 24/7 is exhausting, I cant pretend for my self a sec that im bb free. I occasionally use my daughter as a "halometer", she always confirms that it smells. and people have told me, so unfortunately it is not a trick of my mind.So im not immune to the smell, but I hope its not stronger for others, that I smell it exactly as it is. If I do the lick test, it smells a little different, and not so strong.
jc
Sheriff

Post by jc »

Hi nelly,Yeah I also wished that it was halitophobia unfortunately it wasn`t.
I`ve been doing the wrist lick again & I`ve noticed a faint sour foot smell(but I can`t be sure if that`s what it really smell) so I was wondering what kind of odor can you smell from your breath.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic