Page 3 of 11

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:24 pm
by OdourFree
Thanks asd

I've had a quick search. There seems to be a definite link between accutane and bb but i too haven't been able to find anything substantial yet. Lots about accutane and hair loss, which is another one of my long-standing problems :lol:

I'm 'googled-out' for the day - I'll have another look in the morning.

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:43 pm
by hopefulnblessed
Today is day 6 after my surgery last Thursday. I go for a checkup tomorrow and will ask about the status of the teeth that were removed.

The only discomfort/pain that I have had was on my upper left which is the side that had stitches. I really want to know why that side had stiches and not the rest. It seems like the cut went up to the roof of my mouth, so I wonder if there was some infection or something.

I have been brushing and flossing and my floss no longer smells bad when I floss on that side. (It used to). My mouth is no longer dry. I used to have thick saliva and a bad taste. Both are gone. I am still healing though and I have had a really bad cold so I will see how I feel in the next few days. I will post tomorrow when I come back from my checkup with the surgeon!!

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:00 am
by halitosisux
Signs are looking promising so far!
Fingers crossed still, Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:18 am
by wnaysha
Hopefullnblessd,

I hope it works for u, plz keep us updated.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:25 pm
by Alex
My bb seemed to start around the same time I took accutane as well

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:58 pm
by klif
Sorry, I'll post it again...

'Is it possible that dentist can be fooled by wisdom teeth? That he can't see the cause of bb around them? My wisdom teeth looks fine... they are not, I don't know, ruined or looking bad.... but that is not excluding them as a cause of bb? Isn't it?

I was so many times at my dentist, and told him about my bb, and she make a quick look, and said there's no cause. I have 5-6 filled teeth, but in one period, hmmm, trough my high school I wasn't much going to dentist, and then at one time, after high school I fixed these about 4 teeth...bb didn't gone. Can it be that problem is finaly in wisdom teeth? Always have dry mouth, that includes white tongue... '

And touching my wisdom teeth, and gums don't gives any bad smell... does that exclude oral problem??

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:06 pm
by OdourFree
Alex

I'm still looking for a definite link between bb and accutane. There are little snippets of info around about people who have suffered bb as a result of taking accutane but no real evidence as yet, or even how the bb was treated. Basically taking accutane, which is a derivative of vitamin A, is similar to taking very large amounts of vitamin A, they have the same effects, such as hair loss and liver damage. Maybe investigating the effects of excess vit A will give me a bit more information.

Were you taking antibiotics before accutane? I was on tetracycline for 9 months before starting on accutane. The antibiotics would most definitely have provided an environment for anaerobic bacteria to thrive, and of course probiotics weren't widely known about 16 years ago. Perhaps taking accutane on top of that caused a reaction that antibiotics and probiotics that I have taken since have not been able to reverse. (Apologies, I'm just thinking out loud here.)

If I come up with anything useful I'll let you know.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:38 pm
by OdourFree
klif

Firstly, my advice would be, floss and brush your teeth. Don't eat or drink anything for about 30 minutes, then have a good poke around all of your teeth with an ear bud (cotton wool bud). Smell the ear bud after you have poked around each tooth individually. That should give you a good idea if they are causing a smell.

Secondly, if your mouth is always dry, drink lots of water (of course). If you do that and your mouth is still very dry, add a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar (something that normally gets the saliva flowing) to some water and swish it around the mouth for about 10 minutes. Suck it through your teeth and all around your mouth. See if that gets the saliva flowing. I say only use a few drops of lemon juice because it can be corrosive on the teeth, but it can really get the saliva going.

Thirdly, give your tongue a good scrub with a tooth brush. The tongue is not the root cause of the smell, it just happens to be a good area for anaerobic bacteria, that is originating some where else, to live in. It might alleviate some of the smell for you. Remember to wash the toothbrush really well afterwards because you don't want to be transferring the bacteria to your mouth.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:46 pm
by hopefulnblessed
I had my checkup today and I am healing nicely. I asked about the upper left where the stiches were and he said it was harder to get out. He didn't see any real problems with the teeth.

I can definitely say that my mouth feels soo much fresher!! My tongue still has some coating on it, but my saliva is not thick anymore and my mouth is not dry.

The metallic taste that I used to have is gone. I used to have BB that was sometime metallic sometime fecal. I haven't had either one since the surgery

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:54 pm
by halitosisux
Fantastic news!!!
Im so tired after a long day day, i will comment further tomorrow.
please keep us informed of any developments.

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:22 am
by halitosisux
OdourFree could this Accutane theory just be a coincidence?
If its used to fight acne, which is usually during teens which is around the time of the onset of a lot of people's BB.

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:58 pm
by OdourFree
halitosisux

Yes I absolutely agree it is looking more and more like accutane could be a coincidence. I've trawlled through many websites and It appears that the majority of people who have taken accutane list the long term side effects as eye and joint damage, chrones disease, hair loss and a few other things but only a small number mention bad breath.

I am beginning to consider whether it was the long term use of antibiotics just prior to taking the accutane that was the real cause of the problem. The reason I am concentrating on this is because it is definitely the time that my bb started.

As I mentioned before the long term use of these antibiotics would have killed off a lot of the bacteria - good and bad. If there was an infection anywhere in my body during that time the anaerobic bacteria would have had the opportunity to take over. Even if the infection subsided while I was taking the antibiotics it could have flared up again soon after stopping them. My teeth were certainly not in the best of health during that time and I did have a lot of periodontal problems. So, maybe the anaerobic bacteria from my teeth was able to thrive in the absence of the good bacteria and it has literally invaded my body. As I said before I didn't know about probiotics 16 years ago!

BB is just one of a number of ongoing problems I have. I also suffer with very low iron levels, hair loss as well as dry and brittle hair, splitting nails, dry skin (although I drink approx 2 ltrs of water per day) and a few months ago I suffered severe neuropathic symptoms. It turned out these symptoms were caused by vit B complex deficiency - I questioned how this could be when I make sure to eat a wide range of foods but no-one could give me an answer.

i think all these symptoms point at a possible mal-absorbtion problem which could be linked to excess anaerobic bacteria in the area of the small intestine that absorbs most of the nutrients. And of course the anaerobic bacteria could have stemmed from and could still be coming from my teeth, although i'm concentrating very hard on making sure my teeth are in tip-top condition.

Anyway, I'm going to concentrate on taking some probiotics over a longer period of time (but they upset the natural flow of things - if you know what I mean) which is why i've never really taken them for any length of time :lol:

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:28 pm
by Jimi Stein
Ok, today the dentist lasered off my molar gum flap, he said it was a deep pocket around the tooth molar so he just lasered it off, he practically cut of large chunk of gum and the food is not being stuck in the gum anymore. Laser is so cool, I did not feel a thing, just little poking sensation when he was cutting off my gum.

I don't know how the next day will be, but today my breath feels fresher I think and bad taste is almost gone.

I think that if the dentist cuts off the flap it is not necessary to remove the tooth. Maybe I am wrong but my molar is the healthest tooth in my mouth, because it growed the last one and I was really obsessed with hygene at that time.

I will report back, I don't think that this will cure me but still it will help at least a little.

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:15 pm
by hopefulnblessed
Jimi,

THAT IS SUCH GOOD NEWS!! It is amazing how much bacteria is obviously growing in the pockets!!

Everyday my mouth feels fresher and it is healing!!

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:27 am
by OdourFree
Jimi

I've got everything crossed that this is going to solve your bb problem. Just in time for Valentine's day eh!! ;) ;)