Page 3 of 3
Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:30 pm
by halitosisux
Renato, sorry if I've asked this before, but when you burp is the gas ever foul smelling? Does it normally resemble what you expect it to smell of, from the food you've recently consumed?
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:28 am
by Renato
halitosisux wrote:Renato, sorry if I've asked this before, but when you burp is the gas ever foul smelling? Does it normally resemble what you expect it to smell of, from the food you've recently consumed?
I have not been able to smell my BB, other than the odor left in a cotton strip after a day of use.
However, recently I have been told that when burping, a fecal odor comes out some times, mainly when having a meal rich in proteins. I expected to have a french fries odor if I ate french fries, but it seems that is not the case.
I also think that the bad odor when puping may be the odor carried out from my esophagus (which I know a bad odor exist there).
This is the second time I have been tested for silent reflux and the third time for an upper endoscopy exam. This time, the endoscopy has shown somethig which may put the Drs to think.
I have to say that my BB is getting worse as Im getting older.Perhaps my esophageal sphincter is getting more relaxed with the time.
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:37 am
by elliott
I don't necessarily think that the feces smell comes from the bowel.
I'm thinking that it has more to do with mucous carrying byproducts of broken down material from stomach fluids. Mucous is a very important aspect of digestion, it is produced from the walls of the stomach as a lubricant and assistant for enzymes to break down food. With a wide open sphincter, the mucous does not stay where it needs to be. Mucous does not have an acidic content, which is perhaps why it is not detected as ph. The mucous probably then lives in the esophagus and odors absorb and accumulate there. Now we're talking bacteria, and the other issues that follow as a result of constant bacteria flourish. The bacteria spreads through the digestive and respiratory system. And surely there are probably other culprits, before or after, sort of a chicken and egg, which comes first thing.
Unfortunately mucous is not perceived as an issue, and doctors here will not perform a surgery based on a complaint of mucous.
Ask someone else if your burps stink, and they probably will agree. If our burps smelled like good food, we wouldn't be complaining. Obviously there are interactions happening within once the food hits the tract. Burps are gas, and it does not originate at the mouth. Burps come from the stomach. I'm pretty sure that if you asked, people would tell you that you aren't pleasant to be around while and after eating. If we are agitating our stomach we are producing bad odors. Also, realize that everytime you swallow, the sphincter contracts and expands whether you're eating or not. It's a natural nervous function.This includes chewing gum or even swallowing nothing at all. Have you noticed that chewing gum makes your breath worse? Your mouth may feel better, but it's only a mask. One would think that whispering or speaking quietly would reduce the odor, but we are still agitating the stomach and emitting odor.
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:58 pm
by halitosisux
The thing is, there is always a layer of mucus coating the esophagus. There is also always a very thick layer of mucus coating the stomach lining. Mucus is also always coating the entire throat area.
If anything, wouldnt an open lower esophegal spinchter more likely prevent odour building up inside the esophagus due to the escape of extreme acidity? (assuming normal levels of stomach acidity)
Also, if this spinchter isnt closing off effectively (which can sometimes happen to anyone from time to time), the most likely situation is that stomach contents along with its acidity, would rise upwards and into the throat where it affects the throat pH enough to alter the ecology there and subsequently lead to bacterial over-activity. Maybe it depends whether the situation is constant or intermittent, as to whether it eventually gives rise to the type of bad breath being described here.
Although its common to hear of people suffering with more or less a constant stomach reflux, but they dont release the kind of odours and bad breath being described here.
Renato it will be interesting to hear the result of your biopsy taken from your esophagus. Could a biofilm have formed inside your esophagus? If it has, its probably not all that difficult to eradicate.
Its always possible that you have bad breath for other completely unrelated reasons, possibly compounded by certain stomach related issues, such as hypochlorhydria and reflux along with other various stomach problems, making it seem as though your stomach is the sole cause.
I've read that SIBO can lead to foulness inside the stomach, leading to the type of situations you are describing.
These are just some of my thoughts.
Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:32 am
by finally
I had that same problem I later found out that the smell wasn't coming from my throat it was coming from my tonsils. I had tonsil stones really bad. The best way to get rid of this problem is to get your tonsils removed
Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:52 am
by elliott
Renato do you get stones? I use to get small ones long ago, probably not unlike a non-sufferefer, but I never get them consistently, and don't consider them a direct problem relevant to my situation.
Anyway, If I could get them out I would, even for a bit of relief, but around here doctors won't cut without any proof.