I bet some of you are wondering if it is a new discovery of mine that 95% of group members attending our meetups can't smell one another? It isn't!
Look at the message below which I posted on an odour-related message board in January 2004 when I met the first person from our halitosis group who has bb:-
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:39 pm
I am curious about howmany of you have actually met anyone else from
the Group? I see this as an important starting point for support and
research and I would like to tell you all about my experiences of
meeting other members.
Yesterday, I met a lady in person whom I had been corresponding with
for quite a while (2-3 years). Like myself, she has strong fecal
breath odor and we initially made contact via an odor group.
We met up yesterday for the very first time. It was a long drive for
me but I was curious about this lady because she claimed to be able
to smell (and taste!) her own breath odor all the time. I can never
smell (let alone taste) my own odor.
Initially we met outside a foodstore and there was a slight mutual
awkwardness in making eye contact. However, as we sat at the table
in a Thai restaurant this quickly disappeared and I noticed that
neither of us seemed to be 'offending' each other.
Rather baffled, I asked her if it would be alright if I could have a
little sniff since we were the only diners in this restaurant. It
was perhaps an unusual request however she sort of expected it and
we blew full blast into each other's faces several times.
Okay, here's the bizarre bit....neither of us could smell a thing!!
Believe me, this is more than absurd since my odor has in the past
resulted in people resigning en mass at work
Well, it had to be a mistake! Something was wrong! Was she lying to
be polite? Absolutely not! We had agreed to be completely honest
with each other (no matter howmuch it hurt) so that we could help
each other control it!! I sniffed her hands and all I could detect
was a very slight odor of soap. Her breath smelled only extremely
faintly like a mint we get here called a tic-tac.
Okay, so what about my body odor (I have both breath and body
odor)? ...maybe she could detect that? Well...she looked a little
awkward and so we did it discretely. She went to powder her nose and
passed me on her return. I lifted my arm to scratch my head and she
sunk her nostrils into my arm pit. Hmmm...perhaps not so discrete!
Well?....nothing offensive! Only the slight odor of sweat!! Being
seated at a window seat we were proudly displaying our antics to
passers by on the busy High Street.
The waiter arrived looking a bit perplexed and bowing profusely (it
was a very traditional Thai restaurant). As he served us I noticed
that he had a very strong body odor - it was not fecal but strong
and strange. There was certainly nothing wrong with our sense of
smell!
After the meal we went to a pub and chatted and exchanged further
sniffs. I spent 6 hours with this lady in order to see if there was
any change in odor as a result of eating or drinking or talking
excessively but neither of us smelled anything!!
When the lady got home she phoned me to say that her son had smelled
a really strong unpleasant smell on her clothes after our meeting.
This happens with me a lot since my odor is very very strong.
Believe me, this is not the first time this has happened to me. Two
years back, I met a teenage girl from the support group who claimed
to have strong fecal halitosis and she came to my house several
times for a chat. Neither of us smelled anything!!
I have also worked with someone who is supposed to have either
breath or body odor but only once smelled a strange body odor on him
when he looked hot, sweaty and flustered. I also once had a friend
who had strong fecal breath odor which I could smell when I was 14
years old however my odor has got stronger since then and I can no
longer smell him any more.
Okay, so what am I trying to get at? Well it is this. If any of you
have similar odor descriptions and meet up in person then you are
perhaps unlikely to smell each other. Please do NOT assume the other
person is lying or mad!!! These are my observations. I hope nobody
is offended. Does anybody have any answers or a similar experience?