Page 5 of 5
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:01 am
by mike987
Are any of you taking antibiotics after having your surgery?
I thought this was required but I didn't notice anyone mentioning them.
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:11 am
by mike987
FullOfHope wrote:I really feel for you HDays. It's like I said, sometimes there is more than one cause but by addressing the tonsils you are at least eliminating one of them. Don't know about adenoids I thought they shrivelled up as you got older.
Has your consultant checked right up your nose and into the sinuses with an 'endoscopic laryngo-pha' (copied that from my notes, but it's a long tube with a light or something on the end of it).
The only person I've ever known have a really bad awful smell from his nose was my husband. It was unbearable and I could smell it while he was breathing with his mouth closed. This was (copying from notes again) a 'pyogenic granuloma' which was I believe to be like a small polyp growth in his nasal passage somewhere. The smell was putrid and that's why I asked if your consultant has checked with the long tube thing. He had it removed and the smell went away instantly.
If your consultant is good he/she should be able to see if anything else could be causing the problem.
Best of luck.
I went to an allergy doctor severla years ago, and before he gave me the shots for the following two years, he checke dup my nose.. He said he saw polyps forming.. Which I guess is the result of years of bad allergies?
Anyway, I also had a bad smell in my nose somewhat recently.. I could smell it several times throughout the day.. I thought it was my breath or some body odor that I was smelling.. So sometime later, I used a nasal rinse for about two weeks... I stopped using the nasal rinse when I ran out of solution, plus the fact that it made my PND worse.. though definitely cleaned up my nasal passages..
Later I realized the smell hasn't been around recently.. That nasal rinse must have cleaned off those polyps in my nose.
I imagien them to be little bumps.. And bacteria and gunk probably forms around it.. It probably got bad when I started to be able to smell it inside my own nose, so when I rinsed it cleaned it off.. After I get my tonsils out (still need insurance >.<) I'll see if I can get him to remove the polyps in my nose too
Thanks for your post though.. It helpe dme realize a couple things.
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:44 am
by emotional rescue
hopeful wrote:Thanks for the replies. This is my inital plan and I hope I'll be able to stick with it. I just turned 26 and hope that some of my remaining youth will pull me through this experience a little sooner. My itinerary will look something like this:
Day 1-surgery, overnight at hospital
Day 2,3,4-rest in hotel, maybe short excursions if I feel up to it(probably not)
Day 5-fly to Phuket, sleep on beach
Day 6,7-more resting on beach
Day 8-fly to Hanoi
The good thing is that my mom will be with me so she can do all the talking along with taking care of me. If it were up to me, I'd be getting this surgery done at home and resting at home but that's just not possible. I leave October 1st and am getting a little apprehensive and scared. Thank goodness my mom is coming.
It sounds like day 8 is when things start to get a little better for most people. Hopefully that will happen with me too.
Hi hopefull,
I really wish you good luck, i´m about to turn 26 too...
Did your mother agree 100% with you about your bb??? Mine not...
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:54 am
by FullOfHope
mike987 wrote:Are any of you taking antibiotics after having your surgery?
I thought this was required but I didn't notice anyone mentioning them.
No Mike, didn't have antibiotics after surgery nor have I ever heard of anyone having them. Amazing when you think of what a dirty place it must be eh!
Regarding the polyp inside the nasal passage, I got the impression it was a small growth that can slowly emit a very slight blood/mucus solution which would account for it's smell.
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:01 am
by FullOfHope
CHRIS28 WHERE ARE U? ARE U OK?
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:46 pm
by hopeful
Yes, where are you Chris28? Are you alright?
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:23 pm
by Chris28
Hey fullofhope and hopefull, sorry I havent posted in awhile but since I got better I have been working as much overtime to make up for the shifts I lost when I took the time off for my tonsiletomy.
I am good though. Still happy that I removed my tonsils but now that I can open my mouth wide and that the coating has cleared I can see that there is some tonsil tissue that they failed to remove. There is still a vast improvement in my breath but am scared because the tissue (about the size of a peanut) is on the side I always had tonsil stones in and I am worried that my problems may come back. There is no smell on my finger when I touch it but it does have a crevice in it. Not sure why they left this!
How is the sour taste you spoke of fullofhope?
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:24 pm
by Chris28
mike987 wrote:Are any of you taking antibiotics after having your surgery?
I thought this was required but I didn't notice anyone mentioning them.
Nope I wasnt given any anti-biotics at all
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:48 pm
by FullOfHope
Chris28 wrote:Hey fullofhope and hopefull, sorry I havent posted in awhile but since I got better I have been working as much overtime to make up for the shifts I lost when I took the time off for my tonsiletomy.
I am good though. Still happy that I removed my tonsils but now that I can open my mouth wide and that the coating has cleared I can see that there is some tonsil tissue that they failed to remove. There is still a vast improvement in my breath but am scared because the tissue (about the size of a peanut) is on the side I always had tonsil stones in and I am worried that my problems may come back. There is no smell on my finger when I touch it but it does have a crevice in it. Not sure why they left this!
How is the sour taste you spoke of fullofhope?
So glad you're back and ok!
I think that if the bit left is tonsil tissue, you may not get any problems straight away but I think eventually you will.
My tonsil regrowth was probably only two thirds the size of a peanut when I had my second op and they'd already started to get bacteria in them. So even a bit of tonsil tissue can give problems.
Mention it to the consultant when you go for your check up & tell him you want it all out. He may well do it under local anaesthetic. I think it would be best to get it all over and done with.
My sour taste is much improved although I still have it first thing in the morning. I'm doing an experiment at the moment by cutting out milk because I've got a funny suspicion it may be the cause.
My tongue is all lovely and pink and the white coating at the back has gone completely.
It was all worth it !!
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:26 pm
by Chris28
I just dont want to think about it causing more problems when I have felt so happy since the op.I think I will watch this space and go to my GP if it does end up being problematic.Nothing is ever easy is it? lol
Glad to hear you are ok
why do you believe milk may be a factor?
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:09 pm
by FullOfHope
Chris28 wrote:
why do you believe milk may be a factor?
Briefly, because I know I've already told you some of this:-
Had first tonsillectomy 30 yrs ago.
27 years ago all the same old symptoms started and I noticed tonsils growing back.
Additional symptom was a sour/bitter/salty taste - didn't know if this was tonsils or something extra (lucky me!).
2 weeks post op I still have the sour taste but not as bad.
Went to Rome last year and for the first time in over 2 years I didn't have the horrible taste in my mouth (we stayed next to the Vatican but I'm quite sure it wasn't divine intervention!)
Racked and racked my brain to try to establish a reason for the relief.
There was only one thing I could think of which was different to my normal habits and that was because the milk was so horrid in the hotel I was drinking my coffee black and just drinking water/juice rest of the time. So no milk for 10 days.
On Friday I replaced milk with soya milk just to do a test. We'll see but it's a simple thing to do.
Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:10 pm
by Chris28
Oh I see

well good luck. It's always fun doing experiments.lol
I am still trying the mouthwash experiment-since my tonsils were removed I have stopped using all the mouthwashes I was using daily and taken my oral routine back to basics. Before I was brushing with retardex, scraping tongue, gargling with retardex mouthwash and then spraying my tonsils with a breath freashener. Now I brush with a normal toothpaste and gargle only twice daily with oraldene only because it was recommended I use something in the later stages of recovery to remove the bacterias caused by scabbing etc.So far I havent smelled/found any reason to increase this routine and I am happy with this because I think people with BB get into a cycle with mouthwashes and oral care and maybe remove the neccessary bacterias needed to maintain a healthy mouth with all the cleaning.
Anyway, I dont intend to post on here as much as I was doing during my healing process but i will pop in occasionally. I think it i good to have a break from this site if only to remove thinking about BB while I try to "trust" my own breath now that I feel there has been an improvement. Take care fullofhope.
Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:11 pm
by hopeful
So your breath is still good(or better) from what you can tell? I'm getting anxious as my operation is coming up soon.
Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:25 pm
by FullOfHope
Chris28 wrote:
Anyway, I dont intend to post on here as much as I was doing during my healing process but i will pop in occasionally. I think it i good to have a break from this site if only to remove thinking about BB while I try to "trust" my own breath now that I feel there has been an improvement. Take care fullofhope.
You take care too my friend!
I just know you'll be ok from now on.....