Page 1 of 1

Focus on Dry Mouth

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:37 pm
by Larc400
I'm getting more & more into the idea that dry mouth isn't just a small contributor to bb. Maybe it's the entire reason. If the oral area & throat is moist, the VSC:s will not get airborne, so they can't become part of the bb ... and whenever bb sufferers are in tense situations, dry mouth follows, and that's all it takes....

So we should try to find any excisting remedies for dry mouth, or maybe invent some new, radical ones 8)

Please focus on this!


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerostomia

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:44 pm
by OneDay111
Dry mouth OMG it gives you ultimate bad breath!!!!!!!! GOD

once i had dry mouth from medication. I woke up next morning. my breath was HORRIBLE.

any person (best breath ever) when they fast ie. Ramadhan- dont chew..

There breath really kicks.

Atleast you know the main cuase its a huge contribtor

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:43 am
by elliott
Dry mouth. Salivary glands.

Every time I mention the word to a doctor, they go blank. It's not dehydration from lack of water, because I drank almost 2 liters a day. At times, I can drink a cup of water, and still feel the throat is very dry and irritated.

But for me at least, it's more than that. The gassy smell of death that I have in my gut after eating is coming through, no matter if I have the pacific ocean in my mouth.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:36 pm
by Larc400
By coincidence I was at a lecture today on the digestive system, and there was quite a lot of talk about saliva etc.

Basics:
Both the Sympathetic (S) and ParaSympathetic (PS) branches of the autonomic nervous system activate salivary flow from the salivary glands, but do it in different ways. PS activation result in the watery outflow (with salts etc) while S activate protein & enzyme release.

When stressed, S kicks in as usual, and the protein/enzyme release gets a boost. But stress also causes vasoconstriction (blood vessel muscles contract) in the salivary gland area, resulting in much less blood flow, which limits the glands' watery outflow. This is what causes the extremely dry mouth during stressful situations, for example when a chronic halitosis sufferer is in an enclosed space and the fight/flight mechanism kicks in. 8)

To counteract vasoconstriction, the glands can secrete kallikrein, which becomes bradykinin, which opens up vessels again. Maybe if we can find medication with bradykinin it can help..?

But the main thing would be to try and *not* react to stressful situations. Easier said than done... :roll: