Page 1 of 1

smell on floss

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:17 pm
by 222chick
Do any of you notice a fecal scent on your floss when you clean around all or only a few teeth?

does that smell indicate what your breath is like?

I notice this around only one of my wisdom teeth..the top right one (I ACTUALLY HAVE EXTRA WISDOM TEETH LOL) .. i coat my floss with toothpaste for this tooth and it goes away after flossing it for a few seconds ..

anyway please share any flossing experiences

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:07 pm
by tdonline
It's not uncommon. If it's persistent, you may want to see the dentist. I had one very strong odor problem and it turns out the crown around the tooth was damaged and the tooth below it had a cavity.

Aside from flossing, I also use a mini-brush (I use the GUM brand "go between") and dip the into mouthwash and brush where I usually would flush.

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:08 pm
by jc
I also can smell something fecal on my floss even when I had normal breath.I`ve also asked friends with normal breath if that happens to them too & they said yes so I`m assuming that it`s probably normal. I guess we have a catalyst in our mouths that magnifies the odor.

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:50 am
by elliott
Yeah. Where food gets stuck, the bacteria RUSHES over to go feast. I assume between the teeth is one of their favorite dining areas. Floss really really good after you eat meat.

Wisdom Tooth Odor

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:32 am
by Humble
I experience this issue. I run the floss between all of my teeth and take a whiff. I smell nothing. When I run the floss between my Wisdom Teeth, there is this offensive fecal-like smell. I have some hope that the problem may be dental-related. I have gone to 2 dentists that told me the same thing; to brush my gums. They were idiots. I have finally consulted with an Oral Surgeon that advised that I have my Wisdom Teeth extracted and get Periodontal treatments. I hope that will be the remedy.