macks86 wrote:i saw the symptoms and i seem to fit alot o them, expecially the BB. just wondering whether anyone knew more about this and any treatments/medicines for it.
I'd mostly disagree with you there. Candida albicans is natural yeast found everywhere, including our mouths. Everybody has it, including people who don't have bad breath. So it is not a cause of bad breath, or at least it shouldn't be. Now an overgrowth of that yeast is called thrush, and whether or not that affects breath odor it is quite noticeable as it will create an unmistakable white coating on the tongue (just Google "thrush" to see what I mean).
There's a whole host of snake oil merchants who will try to convince you Candida is a problem and needs their special pills to clear up, but it's simply not true.
Even though I had no signs of thrush, my ENT prescribed for me the Magic Miles solution, as well as Diflucan to take, just as a toss up try. The first made no noticeable difference at all, and the second, as Charley noted as well, cleared my throat, as well as my nose of much of its mucus. The first day I took it I felt great, no bad breath or any problems. I felt so good in fact, that I swore it must have done the trick by getting rid of my mucus (it was that which I believed at the time to be causing my bad breath). By the second and third days I had let downs (ie, a return of my bad breath), as well as re-increased mucus production. So it didn't solve my problem, but I went back to my ENT and asked him to control my mucus production and wondered if that could ultimately stop my bad breath.
He explained that mucus is naturally supposed to be there, and that it doesn't inherently cause odor, and that people who have an underproduction of mucus often have bad teeth because the bacteria attack them in its absence.
In general, bacteria and yeast in the mouth are in a balance of sorts, and an absence of one will cause the other to grow out of control. We should treat playing with this balance like playing with fire. When I used to shove antibiotic ointment up my nose (at the time to kill what I falsely believed was causing my bad breath) it went up my nostrils, then back and out onto the rear, top of my tongue. I got black hairy tongue as a result.
So if you ask someone who's been there and tried that, in hindsight I wouldn't have spent money on any anti-Candida product. There are even some websites out there that claim to show with a diagram that if you spit into a glass of water and your spit yields fine specks in the water that settle on the bottom of the glass, that you have candidaisis. Having tried the spit test myself and had specks on the bottom and having (very apparently, since neither remedy I mentioned above changed anything) had no yeast infection I can testify it is absolute bunk.
In general, my ordeal has taught me that people are barking up the wrong tree if blaming bad breath on any fungus and/or yeast, as they (including Candida albicans), like natural mucus, don't inherently cause foul odor, if any odor at all. Believe me, I know having chronic halitosis is hellish having been through my own hell with it...when you're in that weary-soul state you become willing to rationalize ANYTHING as the cause, no matter how ridiculous or unscientific it may sound to the non-sufferer.
Foul odors come from one main source: B-A-C-T-E-R-I-A. Whether it smells like rotten eggs to meat to feet to feces to a garbage bag to cheese to a multitude of other odors, and whether it originates from your tongue, tonsils, gums, throat, sinuses the ultimate cause is under the microscope. My advice is to keep your attention where it belongs and not to get distracted with fungus.