Your Email Address:

First Name:

When I eat ice cream I can smell it digesting (I think...)

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Eric
Advanced

When I eat ice cream I can smell it digesting (I think...)

Post by Eric »

Its like this for other foods as well, typically dairy and greasy things, or even high-protein stuff like peanuts.

Its leading me to believe that for some of us this really is rooted in our stomachs or esophagus. Maybe its some kind of rare food allergy...

I can tell the difference between catching a whiff of my own fecal breath and this sickening sensation of smelling the dairy digest, very pungent. Guess I have more than one problem.

Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

I guess what you smell is just your oral bacteria digesting the icecream etc, at least that's what I would assume 8-[

I get the same sensation.
chomp

Post by chomp »

Could it be possible that some people just can't digest proteins thus making it available for bacteria to feast on it?
hopeful
Master

Post by hopeful »

Just found out that I'm lactose intolerant(after paying $400!!) for a very thorough food allergy test. I've switched to almond and rice milk and no more ice-cream and cheese! Too bad I've been starting my day with a cup of yogurt for the last 6 months trying to improve my GI tract with taking colostrum and probiotics. Hopefully not having any dairy will help...
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

What do you mean you can smell it digest? You're certain it's not from the proteins being eaten up by the bacteria in your mouth?
austuser
Sheriff

Post by austuser »

milk is THE WORST thing you can do for your breath. We dont need it. humans shouldnt drink it. stay away from it!

this also means cheese, yougurt, chocolate (dammit i know).
macks86
Junior

no yoghurt?

Post by macks86 »

but i've read that pro-biotic yoghurt is full of good bacteria to combat the bad, does this still mean no yoghurt ? seeing as its dairy....
chomp

Post by chomp »

probiotic yoghurt contains a ton of good bacteria but it's got a ton of protein too!! doh!! Lay off all the dairy products people!!!! it's an order!
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

chomp wrote:probiotic yoghurt contains a ton of good bacteria but it's got a ton of protein too!! doh!! Lay off all the dairy products people!!!! it's an order!
This just isn't accurate. Lactose intolerance can cause horrific breath, but the people who this is true for will know it right away after consuming things like milk or cheese. But yogurt is the special dairy product because it it contains, along with lactose, the enzymes to digest it. This is why every other dairy product may be problematic except it.

But Eric, I think you are smelling your mouth/tongue bacteria feeding on these dairy products rather than your stomach or further down your digestive tract. Take it from someone who's been there and done that. In general people simply don't appreciate their mouth's potential to cause bad breath. They think, well if I'm flossing and mouthwashing, the bad breath must come from somewhere else.

Bacteria are microscopic and while the oral environment may look small to you and I, for them that's a lot of real estate--more than enough to cause more varieties of breath odors than we could ever imagine. It could be an area as small as a quarter square centimeter or less that's the cause.

I drove myself insane for years considering every possible area of my body as the cause and theorizing how when all this time the source was exactly where the odor was, right under my nose.

Having said that, it's not a bad idea on a rule-out/preventative basis for anyone suffering chronic bad breath to get tested for food allergies or lactose intolerance or both.
austuser
Sheriff

Post by austuser »

This just isn't accurate. Lactose intolerance can cause horrific breath, but the people who this is true for will know it right away after consuming things like milk or cheese. But yogurt is the special dairy product because it it contains, along with lactose, the enzymes to digest it. This is why every other dairy product may be problematic except it.
sorry but THAT is innacurate. Certain yogurts may contain a small amount of lactase (the enzyme required to digest lactose, which is a sugar) but this has no bearing on what happens with proteins.

you can dose up on all the probiotics in the world, as many of us have done, but the simple fact is: if you naturally have an overflow of bacteria that like to eat protein , and you eat yogurt, you will not have fresh breath.
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

austuser wrote:sorry but THAT is innacurate. Certain yogurts may contain a small amount of lactase (the enzyme required to digest lactose, which is a sugar) but this has no bearing on what happens with proteins.

you can dose up on all the probiotics in the world, as many of us have done, but the simple fact is: if you naturally have an overflow of bacteria that like to eat protein , and you eat yogurt, you will not have fresh breath.
Eating protein is unavoidable (unless you become vegetarian, and then you would still have to get it from somewhere) and avoiding yogurt in favor of other foods will not solve breath problems.
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

There is a way to brew a drink that contains lots of probiotics.

http://www.fotvn.com/store/index.php?ma ... ducts_id=9

WATER KEFIR CONTINUOUS BREW SYSTEM

No dairy, no sulphur.

You can also get a Kombucha Tea brewing system.

http://www.fotvn.com/store/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=10

Both contain probiotics and beneficial yests that should help combat candida as well.

I'm going to try these out. I just don't think it's a great idea for us to consume these probiotic in a dairy base. Sure we're supplying good bacteria, but ultimately we're directly feeding the bad breath bacteria proteins and milk sugars which helps these bad bretah bacteria to colonize even further!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic