Page 1 of 1

MOTHBALL BREATH

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:53 am
by Snobuni
I've noticed that alot of people who post here say that their breath smells fecal, but I've never really been able to say what my breath smell like until recently.

I've noticed that occasionally, when say a breeze blows across my face or, strangely enough, when I bend down suddenly, I get a horrible smell of mothballs up my nose!!! At first I thought it must be coming from somewhere else, but it's happened so many times around me now, that I realise it's coming from me!!!

I think this must be what my breath must smell like, but I'm wondering if it is coming out my nose or I can just smell it up my nose from my mouth or stomach. If I can smell it in my nose can others smell it coming out of my nose?!!

I read recently that lactose intolerance can cause this kind of mothball smell on the breath. I try to avoid dairy foods, so I'm wondering if it could be a reaction to some other kind of food. Does anybody else have this problem or has heard about bb smelling like mothballs? :(

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:57 pm
by mindyb
I've been told my breath smells like mothballs. I was at a new job, and the person training me said as soon as I spoke, "OMG, do you smell that mothball smell, its horrible, what the heck is that???"

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:41 pm
by Snobuni
Mindyb,

I'd definately cut out dairy if you haven't already and see if that helps at all. I try not to eat dairy, but often it's hidden in things, so I end up eating it without realising it.

I'm currently trying to follow quite a strict diet and I'm looking carefully at all the labels of everything I eat (so it's mostly brown rice and veggies, yum!) I've not had any dairy for a few days and I've not smelt the mothball smell up my nose and my tongue seems less coated (although I have started using chlorhexadine again twice a day, so this could also be the reason for this improvement!!!) :-k