Page 1 of 1
Quick eye movement between mouth and eyes?
Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:47 pm
by Menno5589
I think that's the best way to explain it. I work in an electronics store and usually I'm at the register so when customers approach me they're right in my face and I have no choice but to breath and talk right into their faces. Now here's I mean:
When I'm talking to customers, I notice that in the beginning of the conversation their eyes will switch rapidly from looking at my eyes to my mouth and this goes on for a couple seconds and I think that that is the moment they have confirmed in their heads that the smell is coming from my mouth..
Does anyone else notice this?
I'm sorry if I made any gramatical mistakes, but I'm from Holland.
Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:43 pm
by Archimonde
wow i've never noticed that, pretty interesting. I try to avoid breathing in someone's face, when i talk to someone, i turn my head like 45 degrees. If possible, I say hi' to casheers when they're not looking at me and i turn my head 90 degrees when i say hi! But that's not always possible if there are people in my 'line of breathing', in that case i will just smile or nod, especially if my breath is nuclear bad. I've often wondered if there are casheers who thought i was mute.
Have you guys noticed that when a casheer was able to get a good whiff of your breath, most of them don't say 'bye' when you leave, they don't say anything or even look at you! That happens to me almost everyday.
Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:25 pm
by Menno5589
I notice that they avoid eyecontact.. they'll reach over to give me my stuff and look to the right or left of me in a very unnatural way..
nobody else that notices this eye movement thing? Normally when you are explaining something to a person they will look at your eyes, but when I´m explaining something to a customer their eyes switch rapidly between my eyes and mouth, as if my mouth is drawing the attention away from the conversation
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:20 am
by ithurts
Yes! I notice this behavior
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:39 am
by Busted
Archimonde wrote:wow i've never noticed that, pretty interesting. I try to avoid breathing in someone's face, when i talk to someone, i turn my head like 45 degrees. If possible, I say hi' to casheers when they're not looking at me and i turn my head 90 degrees when i say hi! But that's not always possible if there are people in my 'line of breathing', in that case i will just smile or nod, especially if my breath is nuclear bad. I've often wondered if there are casheers who thought i was mute.
I do that too sometimes, but I noticed that if you don't look them in the eye when you're saying hi, they don't know who you are talking to, unless there are only two people in a room or something.
Also when I smile or nod liek you do, they seem to look at me in a very strange way, like "man ,can't this guy just say hi?". My answer would be "no".
