Hello everyone
Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:55 pm
I´m 19 years old and I´m from Holland. I´ll try to share my story with in my best english. Forgive me for any mistakes and feel free to correct me where necessary.
It all started in high school, my friend who was sitting next would often ask me stuff like ´´man how much garlic did you eat yesterday?´´ And I would just laugh it off and say yea I ate a lot of it, when in fact I hadn´t eaten garlic or anything like that for weeks.. At this point I wasn´t too concerned about it, it was in the back of my head and I always carried a pack of chewing gum with thinking that would mask any weird odor.
After highschool I did something called BBL over here, which is 4 days of work and 1 day of school. The 4 days of work were in the kitchen of a restaurant, no dealing with customers, no long conversations with anyone.
People thought I was just shy, a girl once even asked me why I was so arrogant, because I would never actually have a conversation with anyone at work. I could have lived with this for a couple years, but I got another job.
This is where it all changed, I started working at an electronics store. The first ever customer I talked to said in the middle of the conversation ´´thanks, I have to go´´ and just left rubbing his nose and avoiding eye-contact. From that moment on it became more and more obvious how everyone I knew was trying to avoid getting near my face and talking directly to me. It´s been around 6 months now since I got this new job and I don´t know how long I´ll be able to put up with the humiliation. Every hour of the day I get disgusted and annoyed looks from people, I stay inside the house as much as possible, my social life is gone.. I lost almost 10kg in about 6 months because I´m so stressed during the day that I´m not even hungry. I´m really lost, friends ask me to come to parties and do stuff but everytime I´ll have to make up an excuse because I´m too afraid to go out.
Now here´s the interesting part. I am not 100% sure that my breath smells. Everyone I have asked says that they don´t smell anything. Including the doctor, went to see the doctor 2 times and 2 times he has asked me ´´have you checked with anyone in your environment´´ and I´ll have to say that everyone says they don´t smell anything. The last time he didn´t even check anything, he offered right away to send me to a psychologist and he said that it´s all in my head.
I went to see a dentist and he said my teeth and gums were fine. I was afraid to mention my breath to a person I had never seen before. But he didn´t say anything about bad breath, do you think a dentist would mention it if he smelled a bad breath?
Every morning there´s some white stuff on my tongue, when I go to bed I brush my teeth, scrape my tongue, clean my nose with a fluid and brush my tongue with a salt/water mixture. I notice when I do this in the morning that my tongue remains pink for the day, but every morning when I wake up my tongue is white.
Also it feels like there´s always some slime in the back of my throath or where the nasal cavity meets the throath. Also when I clear my nose with a fluid my right nostril is much harder than my left and most of the fluid just goes out the other nostril.
I´m looking for some advice on what kind of doctor to go see, my own doctor won´t take me seriously anymore and just wants to send me to a psychologist. What´s your advice?
I´m sorry if the story is a little long but it feels to great to actually talk to ´´someone´´ about it
I´m looking forward to your replies
regards,
Menno
It all started in high school, my friend who was sitting next would often ask me stuff like ´´man how much garlic did you eat yesterday?´´ And I would just laugh it off and say yea I ate a lot of it, when in fact I hadn´t eaten garlic or anything like that for weeks.. At this point I wasn´t too concerned about it, it was in the back of my head and I always carried a pack of chewing gum with thinking that would mask any weird odor.
After highschool I did something called BBL over here, which is 4 days of work and 1 day of school. The 4 days of work were in the kitchen of a restaurant, no dealing with customers, no long conversations with anyone.
People thought I was just shy, a girl once even asked me why I was so arrogant, because I would never actually have a conversation with anyone at work. I could have lived with this for a couple years, but I got another job.
This is where it all changed, I started working at an electronics store. The first ever customer I talked to said in the middle of the conversation ´´thanks, I have to go´´ and just left rubbing his nose and avoiding eye-contact. From that moment on it became more and more obvious how everyone I knew was trying to avoid getting near my face and talking directly to me. It´s been around 6 months now since I got this new job and I don´t know how long I´ll be able to put up with the humiliation. Every hour of the day I get disgusted and annoyed looks from people, I stay inside the house as much as possible, my social life is gone.. I lost almost 10kg in about 6 months because I´m so stressed during the day that I´m not even hungry. I´m really lost, friends ask me to come to parties and do stuff but everytime I´ll have to make up an excuse because I´m too afraid to go out.
Now here´s the interesting part. I am not 100% sure that my breath smells. Everyone I have asked says that they don´t smell anything. Including the doctor, went to see the doctor 2 times and 2 times he has asked me ´´have you checked with anyone in your environment´´ and I´ll have to say that everyone says they don´t smell anything. The last time he didn´t even check anything, he offered right away to send me to a psychologist and he said that it´s all in my head.
I went to see a dentist and he said my teeth and gums were fine. I was afraid to mention my breath to a person I had never seen before. But he didn´t say anything about bad breath, do you think a dentist would mention it if he smelled a bad breath?
Every morning there´s some white stuff on my tongue, when I go to bed I brush my teeth, scrape my tongue, clean my nose with a fluid and brush my tongue with a salt/water mixture. I notice when I do this in the morning that my tongue remains pink for the day, but every morning when I wake up my tongue is white.
Also it feels like there´s always some slime in the back of my throath or where the nasal cavity meets the throath. Also when I clear my nose with a fluid my right nostril is much harder than my left and most of the fluid just goes out the other nostril.
I´m looking for some advice on what kind of doctor to go see, my own doctor won´t take me seriously anymore and just wants to send me to a psychologist. What´s your advice?
I´m sorry if the story is a little long but it feels to great to actually talk to ´´someone´´ about it
I´m looking forward to your replies
regards,
Menno