Page 1 of 3

Who is getting help from Probiotics?

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:32 pm
by girlie girl
I have been taking them and I think they help some, but I believe I am not taking enough. Please post if you are taking probiotics and let us know your dosaging and experience. Thanks y'all.

help!

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:59 pm
by mizz123
I need some help to on this. I was taking the culturelle but way to expensive! So I went to GNC today and bought Super Probiotics w/ bifidobacterium 10 billion CFU w/ patent - pending BIO-tract technology. It was on sale for 19.99 and there 100 capsules. So I went with these. Does anyone if they work? Please Advise!!!!! Thanks so much!

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:16 pm
by snoopsister
hey mizz,

I use those exact probiotics and yes it is helping. you will have some stomach discomfort and die off symtoms, some times it comes and goes. take 2 caps upon awakening, 2 before each meal, about a half hour or so, and one cap in between so about 8- 10 caps a day. I saw positive effects in about 3 days- :D

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:44 pm
by Snobuni
Snoopsister,

I'm taking 80 million bacteria a day, I've been taking them as you do, half an hour before food. No improvement yet (it's only been 4 days). I'm not sure if I've had die of symptoms yet, but I have been having headaches despite being v hydrated.

I'll up the dose and take some between meals too. What were your die off symptoms?

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:29 am
by snoopsister
hey sno,

It took several days before I saw effects, and I drank coffee this afternoon, and my stomach got all upset and bad sourer taste. It's not a quick fix, it will take several weeks to recolonize good bacteria into our intestines. Headache is a big die off symtom, as is stomach distress, constipation, acid relux etc. It's funny I have a great mouth feeling and taste in the morning, but it died off with the coffee this time. keep me posted and feel free to pm me

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:33 am
by xoxo
i think probiotics are helping.. i have food allergies, yeast allergy. ate chessecake yesterday and i have minimum post nasal drip today. it used to be so bad when i take cakes or dairy products.. so ya.. if u have food allergy u might wanna try probiotics.

but since starting on probiotics i get mouth ulcer.. one after another.. i'm havin my 3rd ulcer now, is this some sort of die-off symptom..?

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:41 am
by never_bn_kissed
xoxo wow it didn't strike me that there could be a correlation

i've been on probiotics for a littlewhile now, maybe a week and i've had the most terrible mouth ulcer, when normally i never have them...but i'm also in the middle of exams so it might be stress induced for me

i haven't noticed any real improvement so maybe i'll stop them for awhile and see if the ulcer disappears

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:48 am
by girlie girl
Yeah, I have a mouth ulcer also. I am uping my dose to 70 billion. I will see how I feel. I am thinking of taking "Olive Leaf", which is a natural antibiotic/antifungal/antiviral, with my probiotics. Kind of like wipe the slate clean and then infuse with the probiotics. That's just me thinking of stuff. Will research first and then try!

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:56 am
by girlie girl
I found this at Dr. Mercola's website. He also is a big believer in probiotics.

The Anti-Viral, Anti-Microbial Benefits of Olive Leaves
But the usefulness of olive leaf extract doesn’t end there. It has also been found to be a potent broad-spectrum antiviral agent, active against all viruses tested, including:

Rhinovirus
Myxoviruses
Herpes simplex type 1and 2
Herpes zoster
Encephalomyocarditis
Polio 1, 2 and 3
Two strains of leukemia virus
Numerous strains of influenza and para-influenza viruses.
One 2005 study published in the journal Antiviral Research proposed that olive leaf extracts could be used as a safe and natural antiviral. Common antiviral uses in the field of natural medicine include fighting colds and flu, yeast infections, and viral infections such as the hard-to-treat Epstein-Barr disease, shingles and herpes.

In-vitro studies have also established that olive leaf extract is an effective antimicrobial agent against a variety of pathogens that cause intestinal or respiratory infections, including:

Salmonella typhi
Vibrio parahaemolyticus
Stapholycoccus aureus, including penicillin-resistant strains
Klebsiella pneumonia
Escherichia coli
It works by inhibiting the replication process of the pathogens, which disables the infection long enough for your immune system to eliminate it and prevent it from spreading.

And, if all of that wasn’t enough, olive leaves also have anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-diabetic properties; have a beneficial impact on your thyroid; and the ability to inhibit cancer growth.

Sounds almost too good to be true, doesn’t it?

But then again, maybe it was mentioned in the Bible for good reason. Nature is certainly full of powerful preventative treatments and potential cures for a host of diseases.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:17 am
by girlie girl
More on Halitosis from Dr. Mercola...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... mmentfocus
Dr. Mercola's Comments:
Halitosis (bad breath) is estimated to affect up to 50 percent of the population in varying degrees of severity, and can be a bothersome and embarrassing condition.

It can be caused by several factors, including systemic diseases, gastrointestinal and/or upper respiratory tract disorders, and microbial metabolism from your tongue, saliva or dental plaque.

Certain bacteria residing on your teeth or tongue surface, or in periodontal pockets are particularly odor-inducing, as are bacterial species associated with gingivitis.

Mouthwashes are only effective against bad breath caused by intraoral factors. Gargling and swishing can’t help you much if your problem stems from an imbalance of bacteria in your intestinal tract, for example.

Treating Bad Breath from the Inside Out

Maintaining a healthy digestive system is far more important than most people can imagine. An imbalance between healthy and unhealthy bacteria here can lead to a wide variety of health problems; foul breath and body odor being some of the least problematic.

However, if you suffer from either, I’d highly recommend limiting the primary fertilizer for the bacteria that cause bad breath and that is, you guessed it: SUGAR, and grains that rapidly break down to sugar. When you eat these highly processed foods they cause bad odor-causing bacteria to grow out of control.

Once you have cut down the fuel that causes them to grow you can then replenish the good bacteria by taking probiotics to re-establish proper balance and health to your digestive system.

Your body is home to about sixty to one hundred trillion bacteria, with some 500 different species of bacteria comprising that population. The ratio of good to bad bacteria is a critical measure in determining your overall health. A healthy balance is somewhere near 85 percent good, and 15 percent bad.

One of the jobs of good bacteria is to control the growth of bad bacteria by competing for nutrition and attachment sites in your colon.

Of course, if you want to achieve optimal results you will want to consider using probiotics in conjunction with a healthy diet, which means increasing your intake of appropriate vegetables for your nutritional type and decreasing your intake of sugar and carbohydrates.

Increasing your intake of fermented foods (such as kefir, natto or tempeh) is also recommended as they contain high amounts of natural, healthy bacteria that are essential for optimal health.

Probiotics by Dr. Mercola

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 am
by faith59
[quote="girlie girl"]More on Halitosis from Dr. Mercola...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... mmentfocus



I just ordered my second bottle of Probiotics from Dr Mercola .( They don't need to be refrigerated) . I was taking about 4 x's a day am and pm . I would take them with a Red Bull (sugar free ) energy drink ... oddly enough when I would scrap my tongue and smell it ,there was no smell but it would only last about and hour or two . But I didn't have anybody to confirm this to know for sure. I taking that Colustrum but it has whole milk in it and I feel it reallly make my breath reek.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:13 am
by Snobuni
Hey everyone,

I've got a really painful mouth ulcer too, strange!!

Faith,

Does your Red Bull contain caffine? If it does you should probably cut it out of your diet for a while and not take your probiotics with it cos caffine kills good bacteria.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:45 pm
by snoopsister
hey mouth ulcers could be the die off symtom for you, don't stop taking something, that is the problem on this site, everyone is so inpatient!

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:33 pm
by never_bn_kissed
snoopsister wrote:hey mouth ulcers could be the die off symtom for you, don't stop taking something, that is the problem on this site, everyone is so inpatient!
snoopsister,

i'm sorry i still dont understand what you mean by die off symptom...is it just you mean things will get worse before they get better?

cause for me they're certainly getting worse...now i have this sore on the front of my tongue which is hurting like all hell

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:54 am
by xoxo
Snobuni wrote:Hey everyone,

I've got a really painful mouth ulcer too, strange!!
hey snobuni!

what are u taking? and what dose are u on?

for myself, i'm currently using
http://www.kyolic.com/html/products/pro ... hilus9.htm
3 tablets per day.