Page 1 of 1
History of poor oral hygiene
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:07 pm
by asd
Its came up a few times, that people have had episodes of lacklustre oral hygiene in the past. I know I have. I had a mouth full of braces and I didnt really clean them as well as you need to do with those in. This was around the time BB started for me at least.
Just want to know who else has had a history where they neglected their oral hygiene significantly. xsxxx
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:43 pm
by prey
yes,when i was 10 i didn't wash my teeth regulary and i got a infection in my mouth.Mom bought a mouthwash and it went away.BB started 3 years later,pnd too.
Prey
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:44 pm
by halitosisux
I'm definitely in that category too. It's always made me feel as though its something i was born with, i dont know of any time in my life where i could say i was BB-free apart from this last cpl of weeks focusing on this putrid corner of my mouth near my semi-erupted wisdom tooth. I feel very optimistic right now about this.. i should have managed to see a dentist by the end of this week - i've not had a free moment for weeks. Btw i also know of plenty cases where people neglected their oral hygiene in childhood (and some in adulthood) having the worst BB.. but it went once they corrected this.
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:56 pm
by asd
halitosissux, how dd u never realise about that wisdom tooth if its tastes and smells so bad? have u had BB long?
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:47 am
by daveparker
my bb started when I had poor oral hygeine, later I became obsessive about it and went to dentists regularly, now my dentist tells me that my gums and teeth look healthy, and basically told me that I'm screwed.
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:47 am
by halihope
I also neglected my teeth as a child and in the 5th grade the school took me to a dentist who did lots of fillings on my molars, as an adult I once had bb and needed a deep cleaning and after that the bb was gone. 9 years ago bb started again. I am beginning to suspect my dentist knows what is wrong with me but since I am a difficult case due to serious illnesses he doesn't want to deal with it. He showed me the x-rays and said "see there is nothing under the gums" "your gums do not bleed when prodded" I just saw the x-rays and they show a bunch of fillings and how can I read them I am not a radiologist, yet I was the one who pointed to him a cracked filling that needed to be re-filled, which he did. ALSO MY GUMS DID NOT BLEED THE TIME I NEEDED A DEEP CLEANING!
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:39 am
by halitosisux
Good question asd..
The tooth is as far into the back of my mouth as a tooth could possibly get, like its digging into all the gum at the back there. Because my tongue has the coating and the gunk i just never made the connection to the tooth because it wasnt decayed and no dentist ever told me i had any dental problems, so i just trusted them and never IMAGINED my teeth had anything wrong - im sure there's plenty of others too in this situation, and YET who knows whether they have a tooth that stinks itself? we cant smell teeth individually and my message to everyone is: dont trust everything your dentist tells you! TEETH AND GUMS are almost always the cause of halitosis whether directly or indirectly involving the sinuses. Most people suddenly start having halitosis with NO explanation, and teeth can suddenly have problems out of the blue in the same way.
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:17 pm
by Hank
daveparker wrote:my bb started when I had poor oral hygeine, later I became obsessive about it and went to dentists regularly, now my dentist tells me that my gums and teeth look healthy, and basically told me that I'm screwed.
Daveparker,
I believe you mentioned in a couple previous posts that your dentist was frank with you in telling you you have bb and there's nothing you can do about it. Did he offer an explanation of the cause of your condition? If not, what good is he?
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:52 am
by daveparker
Hank wrote:daveparker wrote:my bb started when I had poor oral hygeine, later I became obsessive about it and went to dentists regularly, now my dentist tells me that my gums and teeth look healthy, and basically told me that I'm screwed.
Daveparker,
I believe you mentioned in a couple previous posts that your dentist was frank with you in telling you you have bb and there's nothing you can do about it. Did he offer an explanation of the cause of your condition? If not, what good is he?
He basically said what you guys say, it's possibly tonsils or post nasal drip, he also said that in some people their bodies just can't break down certain foods, or it's in the body chemistry, I'd have to eliminate possibilities one by one. I tell you what, I was so close to crying that moment.
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:13 pm
by Hank
Yes, news or opinions that this is a reasonably uncurable condition can be disheartening. But it might also be the truth. I get very down when I hear that members of this forum have been struggling with this for 10, 20, more years. I've had it for 8 or so with no end in sight. So sometimes I'm more content just thinking that this is my condition and there's nothing I can do about it. Then I can focus on coping/living with problem (rather than trying to solve it). Certainly there are much worse things that can happen to a person. And there are always people much worse off than you, me. So sometimes being realistic is healthier mentally than being optimistic. I dunno about you, but I'm getting pretty sick of being disappointed time and time again trying different things. Sorry if this post is a bit of a downer.
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:12 pm
by asd
I dont believe its uncurable. Its bacteria. Bacteria is a foreign pathogen, thats not an uncurable condition.