Coping with bb - work, etc.
Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:01 pm
One of the best things I did when this problem was very badly affecting my work was to find a job with less contact with people. In my previous job, I had to work closely (face to face) with staff members and customers basically all day long, which was a nightmare. Every day, I'd go home dejected. Now my work is mostly computer work, administrative work, and phone work, so it's much more bearable. My co-workers more or less tolerate things but I still get very bad reactions. It's definitely not easy to change careers, but it was worth it for me. Big pay cut unfortunately but you can't put a price on happiness. I was tired of being treated like a leper.
The second thing I do now is I focus my personal life on outside activities, exercise and playing sports. So it's enabled me to have some meaningful friendships with people who enjoy the same activities. Plus it's outside mostly so it's more comfortable from an interpersonal perspective.
So my two main pieces of advice are to get a job where you don't work with people directly and focus your personal life on activities.
The second thing I do now is I focus my personal life on outside activities, exercise and playing sports. So it's enabled me to have some meaningful friendships with people who enjoy the same activities. Plus it's outside mostly so it's more comfortable from an interpersonal perspective.
So my two main pieces of advice are to get a job where you don't work with people directly and focus your personal life on activities.