Page 1 of 1
Relationship between Mouth and Nasal odor
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:37 am
by Green
So....I've been wondering about this relationship. Please comment on if you think mouth and nasal odor are connected. Personally, I had mouth-halitosis before nasal odor. I'm wondering if others developed nasal odor after mouth-halitosis as well. And another question: If-- for bb sufferers who suffer both mouth and nasal odor--we found a cure for our mouth-halitosis, would the nasal odor also eventually go away? I think it may because if nasal odor developed after mouth-halitosis (and if there's a connection between them) , then if mouth bb was gone, then nasal odor should be gone as well.
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:51 am
by DRASTIC
HI Green there is definately a link there.
Have you ever had a cold/flu and the smell from the nose got worst. It definately means there is a connection.
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:28 pm
by depressindc
I had mouth odor that later develop into both mouth and nasal ordor. In the begining stages, my bb was undetectable unless I opened my mouth and talk for long periods at a time. Now, you can smell it whether my mouth is open or closed because it's coming from my nasal passage too.
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:52 pm
by elliott
I think, just as there are different types of mouth odors, there are different nasal odors. Odor could generate from nasal breathing, where air from the lungs pass to the sinus. Also uncontrolled oral bacteria from the mouth could easily pass through the nasal cavity. The sinus itself could have an infection, polyp, pus blocking, stuffed dry mucous, etc. that could cause nasal odor.
There is no one answer, but I think in general it all has to do with inability to control bacteria. Bacteria spreads, one thing leads to another. I don't think it's a mere coincidence that I have digestive problems, oral bacteria problems, nasal odor, and also actually odor from the ear cavities. All internal body passages are affected more or less.
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:17 pm
by Green
Thanks for the reply guys. Anyway, I find something that Elliot said very interesting: "There is no one answer, but I think in general it all has to do with inability to control bacteria. Bacteria spreads, one thing leads to another."
I agree with this statement--quite possibly an explanation. Now, I'd like to propose yet another explanation for all of us mouth and nasal sufferers. Halitosis from the mouth obviously starts out little by little--first you can't tell its there, then it's there all of the time! I think that, as halitosis from the mouth progresses, a lot of VSCs are produced in the mouth. So...When you close your mouth, they have no way of escaping. Thus...they "tag along" with the air you are breathing through your nose. Of course, if you have ( as Elliot pointed out) nasal polyps or other sinus/nasal problems, they may be the cause of your nasal odor.
However, not all of us do, yet we still have nasal odor. And to answer Drastic's question, colds do seem to make bb worse.
p.s. I remember someone who got cured from wisdom teeth extraction ( I think Cured was his name). Did he not say that he also had nasal odor? If he was cured, I am sure his mouth and nasal odor are gone now. And what was the source of the problem? The mouth ( or the wisdom teeth).
---------------------------
Everyone, please continue to discuss this topic!

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:25 pm
by depressindc
Hi Elliott,
I've been to an ENT several times and they can't find the cause of my nasal or mouth odor. How are sinus infection, polyp, pus blocking, stuffed dry mucous, etc. detected? I have had several xrays and scans.
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:02 pm
by DRASTIC
Hi depressindc,
Did your ENT do a swab of your sinuses and then sent it off to the lab for testing. This could tell if its bacteria or fungus causing the problem.
Drastic
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:17 pm
by Snobuni
I'm wondering the same thing, has anybody ever had a nasal/oral swab done by an ENT or GP?
I have an ENT appointment next month, I've had a CT scan, but I think this will come out clear, but I have bad smelling mucous and am wondering how to talk to my ENT about this, and what tests he can do for sinuses other than a CT scan.