Page 1 of 1

Will Empire blue cross blue shield PPO cover tonsillectomy?

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:00 am
by sharon
Hi everyone, can you guys give me any information on insurance and doctors (maybe in NYC)?

I'm a poor grad student with little income.Now my main difficulty is money.

I've been waiting for my employment status to be available to enroll NYSHIP insurance program(for New York State Employee), in which the medical/surgery is provided by United Healthcare,it's a PPO. But I don't know for how long I have to wait, (I am supposed to be available already..but there is some conditions I don't know which postponed it. ) I can't bear this life any longer.

The other choice is to buy Empire blue cross blue shield PPO or POS for $70/ month which is under my advisor's support.

All I want to do is to find a reliable doctor to get my tonsils out (but according to a previous doctor's examination he says my tonsils are very small, though if I insist he can do the surgery. So I guess my tonsil problem is kind of hidden or deep inside, to increase the chance that I would be cured, I really want a good experienced doctor ).

I heard that Empire blue cross blue shield is notorious for hard to deal with for claim, even a hospital I am considering does not accept it.

What should I do?

I made an appointment with Dr.Krespi for a consultation next week, and I was told that they don't accept any insurance. I don't count for laser the cryptylosis, if a normal tonsillectomy can solve the problem.

I am just messy about getting a relatively economic solution for the medical treatment, what should I do?

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:50 pm
by DRASTIC
Hi Sharon,

I am sorry but i dont know much about blue cross insurance.

What I wanted to ask you was if you also have nose odor?

Just a tip.

If you have nose odor then tonsillectomy probably wont get rid of the odor from nose. Maybe mouth but not nose.

Think carefully if you have both nose and mouthodor.

Drastic,

all the best sharon

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:36 pm
by sharon
Thanks! Drastic.

I don't know if I have nose odor, at least on everyday subway trip the people next to me never react. But when I was with my collages and bosses, no matter I speak or not, they react.

So what does nose odor imply which I don't know? Sinus problem? I do have nose problem(dry nose, painful nasal path), deviated septum, actually the doctor suggests me to do the septum surgery but I myself think tonsil is the source of the problem..

Why don't you think chronic fetid tonsillitis will not cause nose odor? Is it because the infection has already infected nasal path which need to be treated separately?

Hope to hear from you.

Again, hope anybody with insurance experience can give me any help.

Thanks!

Sharon



DRASTIC wrote:Hi Sharon,

I am sorry but i dont know much about blue cross insurance.

What I wanted to ask you was if you also have nose odor?

Just a tip.

If you have nose odor then tonsillectomy probably wont get rid of the odor from nose. Maybe mouth but not nose.

Think carefully if you have both nose and mouthodor.

Drastic,

all the best sharon

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:34 pm
by DRASTIC
Hi Sharon,

I am just saying try to rule out all posibilities before surgery.

Surgery should be last option- i know i had it done but still get odor thru nose.

So, as someone struggling with money like myself try to rule out

wisdoms
then sinus by possibly getting meds/spray for nose

before doing something drastic and painful like surgery.

Just my thought on it really.

yes tonsils can cause nasal odor but so too can wisdoms ans sinus.

Drastic

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:55 pm
by sharon
Thanks, but I feel I've already tried them all.
4 wisdom teeth were extracted 4 years ago.
Sinus CAT scan, no obvious problem except deviated septum. Simply saline, nasal wash, nose emollient, nose steamer, humidifier...you name it, I tried it.
I'm too weak by eating no meat, no diary, even no chickpeas, soy milk, bread,...I can't live.
I've no choice.

DRASTIC wrote:Hi Sharon,

I am just saying try to rule out all posibilities before surgery.

Surgery should be last option- i know i had it done but still get odor thru nose.

So, as someone struggling with money like myself try to rule out

wisdoms
then sinus by possibly getting meds/spray for nose

before doing something drastic and painful like surgery.

Just my thought on it really.

yes tonsils can cause nasal odor but so too can wisdoms ans sinus.

Drastic

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:13 pm
by DRASTIC
I understand you sharon.

i hope you find your cure soon.

Drastic