Page 1 of 1
For the very skinny/underweight
Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:18 pm
by TeamZissou
From webmd:
"What's so wrong with being too thin when it seems to be a non-problem compared with obesity? The truth is that being underweight has its own risks.
Those who are extremely lean tend to have weaker immune systems, making them prone to infections, surgical complications, and slower recovery times for illness. They tend to have low muscle mass, and less than ideal hair, teeth, and skin composition. They may have disruptions in the ability to regulate hormones and protect bone health, and women could become unable to menstruate.
All of this could be avoided by maintaining a healthy weight, a measure that obviously differs from person to person. As a rough rule of thumb, women should be at least 105 pounds for the first five feet of height, and another five pounds per inch after that; men should be at least 106 pounds for the first five feet, and an added six pounds per inch, says Dan Heinemann, MD, a board member of the American Academy of Family physicians."
It seems like a lot of people here fit this underweight description. Sounds like it has a significant impact on the immune system, which clearly could lead to abnormal oral flora and BB.
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:55 am
by bbsux
Hmmm i am 6'5 and 140 pounds. I seem to eat alot but cannot gain weight for nothing.
According to that rule i should be about 208 so i have to gain 68 pounds. Man i feel like i would have to eat SO SO much food to gain that much weight lol.
Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:25 am
by Archimonde
bbsux wrote:Hmmm i am 6'5 and 140 pounds.
are you serious? And i thought i was skinny at 5'9 145 pounds!!!
Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:06 am
by DRASTIC
Could it be the types of food that we all eat in our bb diets why we cannot gain any weight?????
We might be cutting out nutritious food in an effort to cure bb but end up starving our bodies of necesary nutrients.
Drastic
Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:22 am
by halitosisux
Is anyone normal or overweight?
Has anyone who considers themselves to be underweight and potentially malnutritioned been tested for parasites? Or been able to rule out or diagnose anything with their doctor which might be behind their low weight?
Just for information im a normal build, but it would be interesting to hear what others are for comparison.
Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:08 pm
by billie
i´m 5´6 and 110 pounds
Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:08 am
by TeamZissou
Yeah it seems like the numbers in that WebMD article for a healthy weight are a little high, but it sounds like many here are noticeably skinny.
I've lived in the northeast U.S. my entire life, and haven't really traveled to any exotic locations, so I'd be surprised if a parasite was my problem, but I guess you never know.
I think its likely some type of metabolic or digestive abnormality in most cases.
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:13 pm
by Hal
Hi Guy's,
It matters what your frame size is. For a 6' man with a small frame his weight should be between 148-160lbs. I'm 6' tall and have a small frame and weigh 140lbs. I have a good appetite most of the time and I am healthy. I rarely get sick and I have good energy. I used to worry and be self-conscious about my weight but I don't really care now. It does make me wonder though...if our bb may be partly attributable to our nervous energy that I think us skinny people suffer from. I think we may be more physically suseptible to stress.
Hal
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:09 pm
by DRASTIC
hmm.
I think we need to look beyond parasites for an explanation on this especially if we have done dewormers already.
Take a look at your eating habits:
do you go on fast on a regular basis?
do you restrict certain foods-mild, dairy, eggs, cheese all foods that will help put some fat on our bodies?
do you eat only on few occasions?
do you skip meals?
do you take laxatives on a regular basis?
do you avoid sugar?
do you avoid carbs?
These things can cause your bodies not to retain any body fat.
So instead of looking at complicated causes such as parasites look to your diet to see if maybe you are restricting certain things from your diet that could cause your body not to gain any body fat.
I noticed that after I added normal food and stopped watching what I ate and just ate what i felt like eating I gained weight and filled out nicely.
Sometimes we do more harm than good when we fast and restict our diets.
We have to be honest with ourselves some of the bad breath diets that we have been on in the past have been absolutely restictive.
I remember being on a
no sugar,
no carbs
no
dairy
no eggs
no
cheese
no dessert
and I ended up looking anorexic.
It was only after looking in the mirror and getting comments from friends saying that I looked anorexic that I decide to go back to healthy eating.
So best advice i can give is to take a good look at your diet.
An adult female should have 2000 calories a day and a male should have 2500 calories a day. If you are on a restrictive diet like avoiding carbs and sugar you might not fulfil the actual daily calories. And if you are fasting regularly then you wil not be able to gain weight but rather loose weight.
are you really eating a balance meal day or are you restricting your diet?
only you can really answer that question truthfully.
Drastic
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:06 pm
by Hal
Hi Drastic,
I can't speak for the other people on here...but I don't restrict my diet much. I do try to avoid eating much cheese and I don't drink much milk either. I seem to build up a lot of mucous when I do. Aside from that I eat pretty much anything else. My being skinny is from my genetics both of my parents are thin. I am the thinnest in my family though. The only way I can gain weight is to eat a lot of protein and lift weights ( I haven't been successful at staying on a program for a long period of time though). My body seems to want to maintain a certain percentage of fat...if I exceed that limit it basically shuts down my appettite or if I eat at night my body will burn it up by converting it to heat...I literally get too hot to sleep. Anyway, I don't worry with it too much...too many other probs in life.
Hal
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:26 pm
by DRASTIC
Hi Hal,
You say you havent restricted your diet but yet you say
Hal wrote:
I do try to avoid eating much cheese and I don't drink much milk either.
You might very well be slim because of genetics. But even you restrict these foods to an extent. This is what I am talking about. How much weight could we possibly gain if we stopped restricting foods from our diet.
But if you read the past threads from years ago you will see people going on fasting diets etc, retricting certain foods. These post are on the forum clear for all to read so just have a scroll back when you have time to see how many people in the past actually went on restrictive diets in the hope of curing their bad breath.
And well, you have to admit that besides genetics some people restrict their foods because of bad breath whether they avoid cheese, milk, dairy, eggs, butter, protein, or carbs. There are lots of threads with people retricting their diets. This surely cant be good for weight gain.
Drastic