Your Email Address:

First Name:

Anyone who suspects their stomach/esophagus please post

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
iva
Master

Anyone who suspects their stomach/esophagus please post

Post by iva »

please post ur PH levels in the mouth. It`s halitosisux` brilliant idea which I can`t realise in practise - here it`s simply unavailable

Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

My mouth ph is neutral, slightly acidic after eating, but not much. I once spent 3 days measuring it all the time (before/after brushing, before/after eating, when I first got up), it never really changed that much. Weird.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Well, i thought it might be interesting if we could gather some pH readings together and for each person to disclose whether GERD or reflux problems are suspected. If reflux itself can cause BB directly by reducing the pH then pH readings might explain something. Reflux also triggers mucus production and might even be enough to cause sinus problems resulting in BB.

Strangely, i've read that its higher pH (more alkaline) environments that favour the bacteria which are regarded as being responsible for BB and for creating an environment which generally favours bacterial activity. If GERD is lowering the pH, then something isnt making sense here.
Anyway, in the days when i used to check my pH i used to own a fish tank and i had a kit which could measure the water pH. I also had a kit which measures water oxygen level, and used this on my saliva. My pH was just under 7, slightly acidic, and i dont have any symptoms of GERD, although i had very severe symptoms of ulceration for many years, but it suddely went by itself.
iva
Master

Post by iva »

C`mon people,

I know there are lots of u that suspect ar is to blame, please post ur ph in the mouth! Thanx
wnaysha
Master

Post by wnaysha »

Hi iva,

I'm trying my best to get it this week.

here's another reason why AR can cause bb, u know how when something goes wrong in our body, the body secretes things to fix it, so when we have AR, we know that the body secretes mucus to protect esophagus from getting dammaged, isn't it possible for it to secrete bases in our mouth, I mean I have AR and there is always this kind of sour taste in my mouth, and my bb gets worse when that sour taste starts...

here I found a very good article about how AR, constipation, white tongue coating, and badbreath are related.

The white tongue coating, and bb can be symptoms of constipation

http://www.womanknows.com/health-behavior/news/53/

oh, n by the way, my dr told me that acid reflux can cause bb, n said that his wife had bb caused by acid ( she used to eat a lot of grapefruit).
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

I'm game. How do I test the PH levels in my mouth?
iva
Master

Post by iva »

wnaysha,

excess of mucus due to AR seems a logical reason for BB. Question is how to deal with it; I can remove mucus from my mouth and the far back of the tongue, but not the throat and esophagus...
I also have sour taste almost all the time and I feel it is related to my BB. I guess there are times the taste goes away and so does bb, but it`s temporary. Wnaysha, I forgot if u were taking any medicines for the AR?
Constipation is not a problem for me, never has been and frankly I do not think BB can be caused by it.
Did u ask ur doctor if his wife had been cured and how?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

wnaysha,
wouldnt it be so much easier to answer this whole question once and for all regarding your presumed acid reflux cause to your sour taste/bb by taking drugs which block acid production for a while to see what effect this has?

Just to presume acid reflux is behind your sour taste (which is what most people with bb get anyway) could simply be barking up the wrong tree, especially if you have already ruled this out with a PPI.

I know how easy it is to feel convinced something like this is behind your problem, i sent my doctor crazy with it in the past. But realistically, do u not also feel its possible that you may have other reasons such as your sinuses producing the symptoms you have, as well as acid reflux which may only be exacerbating your problem. Many people have acid reflux, but they dont have BB.
iva
Master

Post by iva »

Halitosisux,

In most cases of AR, there is also doudeno-gastral reflux, which means that bile comes up the esophagus and respectively the mouth and is a possible reason for BB. I do not think that reflux can be treated with PPI.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi iva,
I've never heard of that before, and it possibly explains a number of things.
It might explain why some people have bile coloured tongue coatings.
It might also explain why acid reflux is sometimes "frothy" since bile acts like a soap breaking down fats.
These are just assumptions im making, but could such a reflux into the stomach not be tested for? surely the detection of bile in places it shouldnt be must be straightforward enough to do?
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

halitosisux wrote:Hi iva,
It might also explain why acid reflux is sometimes "frothy" since bile acts like a soap breaking down fats.
These are just assumptions im making, but could such a reflux into the stomach not be tested for? surely the detection of bile in places it shouldnt be must be straightforward enough to do?
I've been tested multiple times for reflux from different doctors with different tests. Unfortunately, there isn't any test that can verify our problem. Doctors are dumbfounded by it. I've done urine and saliva ph tests and they come up normal sometimes, a few times the ph is acidic, but the strips don't indicate dangerous levels.

It's not that simple, we spend every day of our lives trying to figure this out. Believe me if there was an easy answer, I would have considered it already. After all this time, I don't think the cure is right under our nose (no pun intended heh)
prey
Junior

Post by prey »

elliott wrote:
halitosisux wrote:Hi iva,
I've been tested multiple times for reflux from different doctors with different tests. Unfortunately, there isn't any test that can verify our problem. Doctors are dumbfounded by it. I've done urine and saliva ph tests and they come up normal sometimes, a few times the ph is acidic, but the strips don't indicate dangerous levels.

It's not that simple, we spend every day of our lives trying to figure this out. Believe me if there was an easy answer, I would have considered it already. After all this time, I don't think the cure is right under our nose (no pun intended heh)
hey elliott
can you tell us all the tests that you did?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Yeah..elliott,
What about tests specifically for reflux from the duodenum or presense of bile in the stomach which might be refluxing into the mouth?
What are your views on the likelihood of confirmed esophegal acid reflux as a cause of BB? You must be really tired of seeing the same ideas repeated over and over, but it would be appreciated if you could share any further information you may have on this.
iva
Master

Post by iva »

Thank u, halitosisux,

I really appreciate ur support. Each time I have endoscopy they tell me I have bile in the stomach..
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi iva,
yw, i've been doing some reading on this subject. Generally its considered that reflux in itself doesnt cause BB, only the smells associated with whatever the reflux happens to smell of.
Esophegal reflux associated with "biliary reflux" has further complications and could make the difference whether acid reflux mixed with bile might cause BB. There is quite a lot of info out there. Have you ever tried avoiding the foods which trigger the release of bile? I wonder if it could ever be proved that your BB is caused by bile reflux that you could have your gallbladder removed? Its standard procedure if gallstones are stuck and wont budge. Jeez i really dont know what to say, just ideas coming out as i type.

Im also wondering, could the fact that bile is refluxing into your stomach be allowing other contents which may be foul smelling to also be refluxing in the same way and eventually find its way into your throat?

Even though you have all these digestive problems, have you definitely ruled out other likely causes of BB? Its always possible that you have focused so much on your very real digestive issues and yet its always a possibility they have nothing to do with you BB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic