still in shock
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:27 pm
I have been trolling this website for years. Moreover, I have suffered with bad breath for over twenty years (since middle school) and have tried every breath remedy ever invented. My life has been consumed 24/7 with worry over who was going to smell my bb. I would panic any time someone touched their nose, commented on something "bad" they smelled or got close to me.
Ironically, I have been fairly successful in life, married for 13 year, three kids, an amazing husband but felt like I could never reach my full potential because of the constant fear I lived in that someone would smell my bb. I declined many social invitations and gatherings because I was too ashamed to be near people. Working out is a passion of mine but being in a gym became unbearable once I figured out that gum did not mask the odor. I have a bad taste in my mouth all the time with the exception of when I am brushing my teeth and while I am eating or drinking something.
I was too embarrassed to speak to anyone about this including my dentist or my family members. My husband has a bad sense of smell anyway so I just figured it wasn't too bad to him and he is too nice to say anything and hurt my feelings.
I was 100% sure that my bb was a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. I repeat I was SURE. I am college educated and well respected by many people.
Last week I hit rock bottom and figured I had to do something no matter what embarrassment I would have to face. I live in a suburb of New York City and visited a breath specialist on Park Ave. He had me suck in and then count to ten at which point he stuck his head in my face. I wanted to die. He then made me breathe into a halimeter. All the while he did not say anything but just wrote in my chart. I fully expected for him to let me know that this was the worst case that he has ever seen. He shook his head and looked at me and said that he did not smell anything and the halimeter reading was totally normal. I responded that that was impossible because at that very moment the taste in my mouth was gross. He said I was perfectly fine.
He did say that upon looking at my throat he noticed that I am someone that was prone to tonsil stones although he did not see any at the time. I suspect that there probably are times that my breath is bad when those stones are there.
That night my three year old announced to my husband that she had been to the city and I had to tell him where I was. It was almost impossible for the words to come out of my mouth because this has been such a painful topic to me for SO many years. Finally I told him and he looked at me like I was crazy. He assured me without a doubt that he never smelled anything bad. He admitted that he does not have the greatest sense of smell but he said that if anyone would know, it would be him since he is the one closest to me. He has smelled other peoples bb but never mine.
I have spent the last five days trying to digest this information and still not really believing that I could have been so wrong. I am a very astute individual that was sure that all the social cues she was getting were related to this very horrible affliction.
I never felt the need to post anything on this website and never even had an account but I felt that it was important to tell my story. I am not saying that there are not people on this site with a valid problem but there might be a few like me that are suffering needlessly. The sympathy I feel for people with this problem is very deep. It can be a living hell.
Good luck to all who are still in search for their cure.
Ironically, I have been fairly successful in life, married for 13 year, three kids, an amazing husband but felt like I could never reach my full potential because of the constant fear I lived in that someone would smell my bb. I declined many social invitations and gatherings because I was too ashamed to be near people. Working out is a passion of mine but being in a gym became unbearable once I figured out that gum did not mask the odor. I have a bad taste in my mouth all the time with the exception of when I am brushing my teeth and while I am eating or drinking something.
I was too embarrassed to speak to anyone about this including my dentist or my family members. My husband has a bad sense of smell anyway so I just figured it wasn't too bad to him and he is too nice to say anything and hurt my feelings.
I was 100% sure that my bb was a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. I repeat I was SURE. I am college educated and well respected by many people.
Last week I hit rock bottom and figured I had to do something no matter what embarrassment I would have to face. I live in a suburb of New York City and visited a breath specialist on Park Ave. He had me suck in and then count to ten at which point he stuck his head in my face. I wanted to die. He then made me breathe into a halimeter. All the while he did not say anything but just wrote in my chart. I fully expected for him to let me know that this was the worst case that he has ever seen. He shook his head and looked at me and said that he did not smell anything and the halimeter reading was totally normal. I responded that that was impossible because at that very moment the taste in my mouth was gross. He said I was perfectly fine.
He did say that upon looking at my throat he noticed that I am someone that was prone to tonsil stones although he did not see any at the time. I suspect that there probably are times that my breath is bad when those stones are there.
That night my three year old announced to my husband that she had been to the city and I had to tell him where I was. It was almost impossible for the words to come out of my mouth because this has been such a painful topic to me for SO many years. Finally I told him and he looked at me like I was crazy. He assured me without a doubt that he never smelled anything bad. He admitted that he does not have the greatest sense of smell but he said that if anyone would know, it would be him since he is the one closest to me. He has smelled other peoples bb but never mine.
I have spent the last five days trying to digest this information and still not really believing that I could have been so wrong. I am a very astute individual that was sure that all the social cues she was getting were related to this very horrible affliction.
I never felt the need to post anything on this website and never even had an account but I felt that it was important to tell my story. I am not saying that there are not people on this site with a valid problem but there might be a few like me that are suffering needlessly. The sympathy I feel for people with this problem is very deep. It can be a living hell.
Good luck to all who are still in search for their cure.