My problem in detail...help needed.
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:04 pm
Hi everyone,
I've put a few posts on before now, but I wanted to post the complete history of my problem. Hopefully some of you guys may be able to relate with some of my issues and have some advice.
I first noticed i had bad breath about 8 or 9 years ago now. I would have been 13 when my blissfull ignorance evaporated. I think it was actually my Dad who shattered everything by exclaiming 'dog breath' during a conversation or something. Anyway it was all down hill from there, depression, tears, loneliness, anger etc. I stumbled along, vainly brushing my teeth and ignoring the rest of my mouth whilst eating MASSIVE AMOUNTS of sugar everyday.
I freely admit my oral hygiene was abysmal: I only cleaned my teeth and not the rest of my mouth you see. Anyway college came after high school; and I promised myself that I would just get on with life and chat to people normally, ignoring the reactions and everything. Well that didn't last too long; depression became the mainstay of my life. I had friends, but never felt a real connection with any of them.
Purely by chance, while I was still at college I discovered the surface of my tongue stank really badly. There was a big build up of whiteish stuff on the surface too. So I immediately felt an elation: 'This has to be it,' I thought. So I began brushing the tongue-and nothing. Not a damn thing. Well maybe a slight improvement. But still the odour.
So my life ground to a halt basically. I've completely cut myself off from people now because I can't stand the reactions, the humiliation. I can't even bring myself to call my best friend anymore. I'm sure all of you are acutely familiar with the pain of loneliness. I'm trying to convey how I've felt for the past nine years now but words seem so inadequate. It really is hard to communicate the feelings through a keyboard. I'll try and describe recent developments instead.
The past few months have been disastrous really. The smell has just got exponentially worse. Coming through my nose today was the smell of what can only be described as sewage. Horrible. But there can be other odours like farts or something. So yes there is a nasal odour. But my oral hygiene is so good. AND; my mouth feels the cleanest it ever has really. There's not the foul 'shit' taste that there so often was. I just don't get it. Bacteria are the cause I strongly suspect. But how to be sure. Today I was feeling desperate and decided to note down all the remedies and cures listed here on the site. What a mammoth task. Where to begin? From Small intenstinal bacterial overgrowth to citrus seed extract.
Now my tongue doesn't really stink when I touch it then smell my finger. I'm not surprised really cos I scrub the hell out of it with an anti-bacterial toothpaste (Colgate Total). Recently I noticed my left molar in the upper quarter of my mouth stank. So I thought that might be the answer. Problem with the tooth, you know. Well after vigorous brushing the smell disappeared so the probably isn't the answer. Maybe there are gum pockets I don't know. What do gum pockets actually look like? I know bacteria can accumulate there.
Oh yes, I used to get tonsil stones aswell. They stank to high heaven. Used to cough them up, but not anymore. Maybe the tonsil crypts are contributing? Maybe it's adenoids? I'm convinced it's something in my mouth that's causing my bb as all the evidence points to that (stinky tongue, tooth, tonsil stones, foul taste). My best guess is that my consumption of huge amounts of sugar in my early teens and lack of oral hygiene allowed bacteria to grow excessively in my mouth=bad beath. And I'm worried that it's gonna be with me forever.
Sorry nearly finished now! My only other complaint is a bowel problem. I suffer alot with constipation and or diaorrhea. Maybe this is a cause I don't know. Absorption of bowel crap into the blood?
So here's a summary:
-Bacteria on tongue (fewer now, but suspect still many there).
-Way worse after eating sugar
-Foul taste far back in throat and mouth
-Tonsil stones used to be present
-Used to have white tongue
-Floss stinks when rubbed between molars
-A wisdom tooth has not fully emerged (bacteria collecting?)
-Mouthwash doesn't work
-Used to consume massive amounts of sugar
So there we have it. My hell, but I now know that I'm not suffering alone. Sorry about the length everyone, but wante to give you the full picture. Thanks to all of you who replied to any of my previous posts; Halitosisux and everyone else. If any of you have any ideas about what could be going on in my mouth please let me know.
All the best.
I've put a few posts on before now, but I wanted to post the complete history of my problem. Hopefully some of you guys may be able to relate with some of my issues and have some advice.
I first noticed i had bad breath about 8 or 9 years ago now. I would have been 13 when my blissfull ignorance evaporated. I think it was actually my Dad who shattered everything by exclaiming 'dog breath' during a conversation or something. Anyway it was all down hill from there, depression, tears, loneliness, anger etc. I stumbled along, vainly brushing my teeth and ignoring the rest of my mouth whilst eating MASSIVE AMOUNTS of sugar everyday.
I freely admit my oral hygiene was abysmal: I only cleaned my teeth and not the rest of my mouth you see. Anyway college came after high school; and I promised myself that I would just get on with life and chat to people normally, ignoring the reactions and everything. Well that didn't last too long; depression became the mainstay of my life. I had friends, but never felt a real connection with any of them.
Purely by chance, while I was still at college I discovered the surface of my tongue stank really badly. There was a big build up of whiteish stuff on the surface too. So I immediately felt an elation: 'This has to be it,' I thought. So I began brushing the tongue-and nothing. Not a damn thing. Well maybe a slight improvement. But still the odour.
So my life ground to a halt basically. I've completely cut myself off from people now because I can't stand the reactions, the humiliation. I can't even bring myself to call my best friend anymore. I'm sure all of you are acutely familiar with the pain of loneliness. I'm trying to convey how I've felt for the past nine years now but words seem so inadequate. It really is hard to communicate the feelings through a keyboard. I'll try and describe recent developments instead.
The past few months have been disastrous really. The smell has just got exponentially worse. Coming through my nose today was the smell of what can only be described as sewage. Horrible. But there can be other odours like farts or something. So yes there is a nasal odour. But my oral hygiene is so good. AND; my mouth feels the cleanest it ever has really. There's not the foul 'shit' taste that there so often was. I just don't get it. Bacteria are the cause I strongly suspect. But how to be sure. Today I was feeling desperate and decided to note down all the remedies and cures listed here on the site. What a mammoth task. Where to begin? From Small intenstinal bacterial overgrowth to citrus seed extract.
Now my tongue doesn't really stink when I touch it then smell my finger. I'm not surprised really cos I scrub the hell out of it with an anti-bacterial toothpaste (Colgate Total). Recently I noticed my left molar in the upper quarter of my mouth stank. So I thought that might be the answer. Problem with the tooth, you know. Well after vigorous brushing the smell disappeared so the probably isn't the answer. Maybe there are gum pockets I don't know. What do gum pockets actually look like? I know bacteria can accumulate there.
Oh yes, I used to get tonsil stones aswell. They stank to high heaven. Used to cough them up, but not anymore. Maybe the tonsil crypts are contributing? Maybe it's adenoids? I'm convinced it's something in my mouth that's causing my bb as all the evidence points to that (stinky tongue, tooth, tonsil stones, foul taste). My best guess is that my consumption of huge amounts of sugar in my early teens and lack of oral hygiene allowed bacteria to grow excessively in my mouth=bad beath. And I'm worried that it's gonna be with me forever.
Sorry nearly finished now! My only other complaint is a bowel problem. I suffer alot with constipation and or diaorrhea. Maybe this is a cause I don't know. Absorption of bowel crap into the blood?
So here's a summary:
-Bacteria on tongue (fewer now, but suspect still many there).
-Way worse after eating sugar
-Foul taste far back in throat and mouth
-Tonsil stones used to be present
-Used to have white tongue
-Floss stinks when rubbed between molars
-A wisdom tooth has not fully emerged (bacteria collecting?)
-Mouthwash doesn't work
-Used to consume massive amounts of sugar
So there we have it. My hell, but I now know that I'm not suffering alone. Sorry about the length everyone, but wante to give you the full picture. Thanks to all of you who replied to any of my previous posts; Halitosisux and everyone else. If any of you have any ideas about what could be going on in my mouth please let me know.
All the best.