Your Email Address:

First Name:

test to see if bacteria coming from your gums

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Susie
Sheriff

test to see if bacteria coming from your gums

Post by Susie »

Hey all,
I came across this interesting info. If you think there is a possibility your bb may be teeth related.

BACTERIAL DNA TEST:
AN ESSENTIAL NEW DIAGNOSTIC TOOL
Periodontal Disease
Diagnostic DNA Testing
BOST - Treatment
Hygiene
Lifestyle
Gum Recession
Dental Implants
Periodontis & Gen.Health
Testimonials
Maggie's Testimonial
"I had one severely affected tooth that I am sure I would have lost without the DNA test and treatment combining antibiotics and hygiene."
Since periodontal disease is a bacterial infection, it is very important to know which bacteria are present before treatment begins. Using the Bacterial DNA test, we are able to identify exactly which bacteria are causing the infection. In the majority of cases, the DNA test will reveal that the type of bacteria that are present in the gums can be eliminated without the use of antibiotics (see the BOST section for more details on the treatment). In these cases, it is preferable to avoid antibiotics in order to prevent a drop in the immune system. However, some species of bacteria cannot be permanently eliminated using the treatment alone. Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans (Aa) and Porphyromonas gingivalis (Pg) are aggressive species of bacteria that fall under this category (see the complete list of periodontal pathogens at the bottom of the page). If the test shows that these bacteria are present, then appropriate antibiotics are added to the treatment in order to produce complete healing.

WHAT IS THE DNA TEST?

Paper Points Bacterial DNA testing is based on the fact that each strain of bacteria has a specific "fingerprint" of genetic material. This fingerprint can then be analyzed in a laboratory to establish which species of bacteria are present in the infection. Compared to culturing the bacteria, Bacterial DNA testing offers much greater accuracy as well as reduced cost.

HOW IS THE TEST PERFORMED?
Administering the DNA test is a quick, safe, and painless process. Four tiny paper points are placed under the gums for a period of 15 seconds. This is long enough to collect disease causing bacteria from under the gums. These bacteria thrive in the plaque--otherwise known as biofilm--that covers the tooth roots down to the attachment level. Once they are removed, the paper points are packaged and sent to the laboratory where the bacterial DNA will be analyzed to reveal which types of bacteria are present. The test results are then e-mailed back to the dentist in about 10 days.

WHY IS THE DNA TEST NECESSARY?

Bacterial DNA Test Results Liz's Testimonial
"I have watched my mom Sheila have lots of problems with her gums and implants and the DNA test showed why. I had the test done too and I have most of the same bad bacteria as my mom. I am glad at 19 to get rid of them before they can harm me."
The bacterial DNA test provides a scientifically accurate way of knowing which bacteria are causing the infection. Without the test, there is only one chance out of ten of choosing the right antibiotic combination to fight the bacteria under the gums. When invasive bacteria are inside the tissue in addition to on the roots and the bone, the BOST treatment can't reach them and antibiotics are needed to clear them out. Without the focus given by the test we are more likely producing resistant strains than good treatment results.

Most patients find that it is very reassuring to know whether or not they have aggressive strains of bacteria in their gums. If the Aa and Pg are not present, patients feel relieved immediately. Patients who test positive for the aggressive strains of bacteria, on the other hand, gain a better understanding of why they have had such a difficult time with periodontal problems in the past. They can feel hopeful for the future because they know that they will receive properly targeted antibiotics in addition to effective local treatment.

WHO SHOULD TAKE THE TEST?

Anyone with current periodontal gum disease benefits from a bacterial DNA evaluation. Symptoms of periodontal disease are bleeding gums, loose or shifting teeth, painful chewing, bad breath, gum recession, and bone loss. AirPerio recommends the DNA test as the first step towards successful treatment.

In addition, the test can be used as a preventive measure. People with a history of periodontal disease in their family can be screened and diagnosed early before the bacteria have a chance to cause an infection.

People about to have dental implants should absolutely have the test to make sure that any prior periodontal infection is under control to protect the implants from getting infected. For people who have currently an infected, failing implant the test and AirPerio treatment may be able to save it.

Baby Apolline The test should also be done prior to orthodontic treatment where force will be put on the bone and oral hygiene will be more difficult. Aerobic hygiene is also important to help prevent common post-orthodontic problems like gum recession as well as gingivitis during treatment.

Periodontal disease has been linked to premature birth and infertility so a bacterial DNA test is a good measure to add before entering the reproductive years so prevention and or treatment can be accomplished. For couples who have been trying to have a child this is a simple factor to test for and rule out. Already two couples have had full term babies after the AirPerio treatment!

HOW DO I GET THE TEST?
There are two methods of obtaining the DNA test.

Through your local dentist.
Click here to send an AirPerio DNA Test Request.

Periodontal Pathogens that can be found using DNA testing
The following 11 oral bacteria are the ones most often implicated in periodontal disease. They are the mostly gram negative, anaerobic varieties. Most often there is cooperation between species that have complementary virulence and resistance factors. These bacteria are capable of opening breaches in the body's barriers and suppressing defense mechanisms, leading to disease and the opening for other pathogens such as viruses and parasites to add their destructive potential.

Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans
A small, gram negative, facutatively anaerobic, non motile rod, not considered part of normal flora but a true infectious agent
One of the few bacteria in the mouth capable of colonizing the oral mucosa because of attachment mechanism of long arms or fimbriae on the surface
Can be inhibited from growth in the presence of Streptococcus strains, once established very effective at inhibiting other species including Streptococcus
Associated with Juvenile localized periodontitis
Possesses many virulence factors: leucotoxin (kills human neutrophils and monocytes), immunosuppressive factor, bone resorption mediation factor, fibroblast proliferation depression factor, causes release of lysosomal products from damaged immune cells, perturbs adaptive mechanisms, delays antibody sysnthesis, invasive
Implicated in endocarditis, pericarditis, meningitis, osteomyelitis, pnemonia and sub-cutaneous abscess
Sensitive to Amoxicillin, Claritromycin and Doxycycline, practically insensitive to Metronidazol
Transmittable from parent to child
Porphyromonas gingivalis
A gram negative, non motile small strictly anaerobic rod, has numerous fimbriae for attachment
Not considered part of normal flora
Virulence factors: posseses very strong proteolytic enzymes, collagenases, chemical adherence factors ( attaches to erythrocytes and causes agglutination), decomposes immunogloblins, invasive
Implicated in coronary artery disease
Transmissible from parent to child and to a lesser degree between partners
Sensitive to Metronidazol
Bacteriodes forsythus
A strictly anaerobic, gram negative, fusiform rod
Associated with refractory periodontitis, considered a major periodontal pathogen, possesses strong proteolytic properties
Sensitive to metronidazol and Clindamycin but resistant to Doxycycline
Treponema denticola
An anaerobic, spiral shaped bacteria from the spirochete family, nearly impossible to culture, can support small quantities of oxygen
Very strongly proteolytic, invasive in cooperation with other bacteria
Antibiotic sensitivity in vivo is not evident
Prevotella intermedia
Strict anaerobe, gram negative rod, can ferment complex sugars
Highly proteolytic
Sometimes associated with halitosis
Sensitive to Metronidazol and Clindamycin
Micromonas micros
Gram positive anaerobic cocci, part of normal flora in small numbers
No specific virulence factor but is often found in large numbers during periodontal infections
Sensitive to Clindamycin, but resistant to erythromycin, bacitracin, and amoxicillin contradictory sensitivity to metronidazol but insensitivity dominates
Known to be involved in many infections outside the mouth; abdominal, peritoneal, cerebral
Fusobacterium nucleatum
Gram negative rod, anaerobic,
Unknown virulence factors but their rich adhesine production seems to be important to allow other pathogenic species to proliferate in plaque.
Sensitive to metronidazol and amoxicillin, insensitive to erythromycin, claritromycin and tetracycline
Campylorbacter rectus
Gram negative bacillus, not strictly anaerobic
Little known about resistance or virulence factors
Contradictory infromation as to antibiotic sensitivity
Eubacterium nodatum
Gram positive, anaerobic cocco-bacillus
Present in most periodontal infections but no known specific virulence factors
Sensitive to metronidazol, clindamycin, vancomycin, cefoxitin
Eikenella corrodens
Gram negative bacillus that is facultatively anaerobic
Virulence factors include inflammation reactions, cytotoxic proteins on exterior membrane
Adhesins, toxic polysaccharides
Resistant to metronidazol, erythyromycin, clindamycin and tetracycline, sensitive generally to amoxicillin, cefoxitin and moxifloxacin
Capnocytophaga species group
Gram negative bacilli faultative anaerobes
Nearly always present in periodontal degeneration, produces tissue degenerating enzymes
Resistant to clindamycin, metronidazol, sensitive to claritromycin, amoxicillin and ampicillin
For More Information Read the Following Article (Adobe Acrobat Reader [PDF] Format)
New Developments in Perio: Tri-Immuno-Phasic Therapy :
Additional context for this content was published in "Preventive Dentistry"
Click Here to Tell A Friend © 2006-2008
All Content Copyright
William Hoisington DDS

Home| About Us| Contact| F.A.Q.| News
Design and programming by
TerraRhythm

Susie
Sheriff

Post by Susie »

If you think there is even a remote possibility bb could be coming from your teeth you might want to research more on this article. The article even says periodontal disease has been linked to premature birth and infertility (remember I was infertile for 14 years and they said everything was just fine with me and called me crazy and then I had that surgery and BOOM I was pregnant! I'm going to discuss this with my dentist next week b/c I still feel I have some bacteria around. I'll let you know what I find out. I sent the company a message to ask them what the price is on this. My advice: don't rule out anything that could be causing this bb. www.airperio.com

Susie
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Suzie,
Something as simple as this is what could turn out to be the key for so many. It could explain why lots of people are getting excellent results from gingival irrigation with peroxide/triclosan. Maybe some people have these bacteria present but through their rigorous oral hygiene practices intended to fight BB are fending off the development of full-blown periodontal diseases, but the existing situation allowing enough gum detachment and anaerobic area around the gum margins to allow enough bacterial activity to lead to BB.

It also offers a good explaination why BB seems to just kick-in the way it does for some out of the blue, in the absense of any other symptoms or reasons. Could it be when people suddenly become infected with these bacteria? Could it be why people reportedly develop BB after taking courses of antibiotics which killed the "good" bacteria which were otherwise keeping these pathogenic bacteria under control? Loads to think about.
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Guy's,

As I was reading this thread a thought occured to me. When I had my braces they installed a device that covered a portion of my palate. It stayed in my mouth for several months and it was impossible to clean under the whole thing. When they finally removed it there was rotten food crap underneath and it stunk like HELL and tasted like SHIT. My bb prob started at the time that this thing was in my mouth. I'm wondering if the bacteria that formed under this thing were established at that time and have never been eradicated? Anyway I think I should look into getting this test done.

Hal
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi hal,
These are such fundamentally important questions. The human mouth typically contains something like 400 different species of bacteria out of approximately 600 different species known so far.
If is simply a matter of chance which bacteria end up forming our particular oral flora population, then this could be what it all comes down to, whether some of us have particular species that are responsible for the BB, whether by themselves directly, just by the very presense of these particular bacteria, or indirectly through any particular disease process that they happen to establish themselves.
There are some recently identified species of bacteria in the mouth, the presense of which had been directly connected with BB.
Such a situation as yours Hal, with the braces and the buildup of foul debris, this could have a profound effect on the oral flora, leading to imbalances and opening the door for the buildup of such undesirable bacterial populations. A rotten tooth for instance, or other disease could have the same effect.
And this test which susie has detailed shows the possibilities and i think this the way forward in understanding and treating the TRAP which is BB for some.
ithurts
Advanced

Post by ithurts »

This is the reply I got from them.

"Greetings and thanks for your interest. The cost of the test is $125. The kit to take the sample can be sent to you to take in to your dentist, AirPerio"

I asked them why would it be necessary for me to take it to my dentist and no reply yet.
Susie
Sheriff

Post by Susie »

Hey halitosisux,
Yes, I think this could possibly answer some questions. Like you said there are so many species. Hope this helps even one person I would be grateful.

Susie
Susie
Sheriff

Post by Susie »

Hey ithurts,
thanks for the info! They e-mailed me yesterday afternoon, but with a 4 month old (BOY) I didn't have time to get back on here!!!

Susie
hello
Junior

Post by hello »

hey what the website for this article..i wanna get the kit
deebas
Advanced

Post by deebas »

I assume the site you are referring to is this: http://www.airperio.com/BacterialDNATest.htm

Let everyone know how you go and whether its just another scam.
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Quite interesting. :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic