Page 1 of 1
Oral Irrigation vs Gargle/Rinse?
Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:02 pm
by Hank
It seems that a handful of people on this forum really believe in the oral irrigation/water pik type method of oral hygiene. I have an oral irragator myself and use it occasionally. But really how different is that than just rinsing or gargling? Just curious what people think...
Hank
Oral Irrigation
Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:17 pm
by faith59
I feel if irrigating w/ a water pik gets rid of their bad breath they don't have the kind of haitosis I have . Because I've come from the dentist office after a cleaning and my mouth feels clean for about 8 hours then back to the rotten smell as usual.

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:56 pm
by halitosisux
If u can have 8 hours relief from any means, then they probably have it worse than u cos most people on here including myself couldnt get 8 minutes relief.
Re: Oral Irrigation vs Gargle/Rinse?
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:11 am
by searching
Hank wrote:It seems that a handful of people on this forum really believe in the oral irrigation/water pik type method of oral hygiene. How different is that than just rinsing or gargling?
Hank,
I think it is analogous to a comparison between the effectiveness of gentle rinsing versus using a power washer. When an oral irrigator is used, especially at a high flow rate with a tapered tip, the jetted liquid is effective in shearing-off newly-grown bacteria and lodged food particles on/between teeth and beneath the gum line.
Oral-irrigation with dilute hydrogen peroxide has a physical and chemical-effectiveness in chemically-oxidizing the remaining bacteria, beneath the gum line, that remain, if physical shearing and flushing alone, is insufficient.
I use the oral irrigator after I brush, floss, and rinse/gargle with clear water. Even after these steps, when I then irrigate at the base of each tooth, the initial fraction of flow exits my mouth somewhat cloudy. I believe the turbid material that exits, is bacterial colonies that remained after the pre-irrigation steps. This postpones the fast return of bb as there are fewer active colonies in my mouth.
The oral irrigation with dilute hydrogen peroxide and brushing with triclosan-containing toothpaste continues to be effective in managing my bb.
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:45 pm
by Hank
Thanks searching. That was an informative reply. I think I was just looking for motivation to use mine more often. I've been a little lazy lately.
Hank