Page 1 of 1

Tonsillectomy and not cure?

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:50 pm
by ithurts
Hi guys,

Who in here has their tonsils removed but not cured? I just want to gather up some statistics.

I coughed out a bunch of tonsil stones yesterday and they are truely disgusting. I think this is might be my problem all along.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:09 pm
by dreamweaver
I had my tonsils removed but it didn't help. I think in most cases, tonsillitis and tonsil stones are a symptom, not a cause. Please make sure you have exhausted all other options before opting for surgery. I believe if tonsils are not the cause, then removing them will not only not help, but it might be harmful in the long run b/c they probably play some role in fighting infections among other things.

My advice would be to make sure you don't have any sinus issues, teeth/gum issues, dairy or wheat intolerance, acid reflux/GERD. This will take time and effort to really try to get to the root of your problem, but it might be worth it. If you come to a dead end, then it might make sense to look at surgery as a last resort.

Good luck.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:55 pm
by halitosisux
dreamweaver wrote:I had my tonsils removed but it didn't help. I think in most cases, tonsillitis and tonsil stones are a symptom, not a cause. Please make sure you have exhausted all other options before opting for surgery. I believe if tonsils are not the cause, then removing them will not only not help, but it might be harmful in the long run b/c they probably play some role in fighting infections among other things.

My advice would be to make sure you don't have any sinus issues, teeth/gum issues, dairy or wheat intolerance, acid reflux/GERD. This will take time and effort to really try to get to the root of your problem, but it might be worth it. If you come to a dead end, then it might make sense to look at surgery as a last resort.

Good luck.
ditto to that

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:10 am
by Snobuni
Same here I'm afraid.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:39 am
by jane
I got my palatine tonsils removed out of desperation even though i knew they werent really causing my bb. i mean, i also got my adenoids removed and i have to admit that DID help alot b/c i now suddenly dont have allergies (who knew!), there's way less pnd, and i actually used to get little stones in my adenoids so it dramatically decreased the nasal odor.

i know for a ****ing FACT now that its my lingual tonsils. im a rare case, it all started about three years ago...

so i had a bunch of tonsil stones and pnd. this was when i knew i had bb but i didnt really pay attention to it until i realized that it was a persistant problem. after a while i noticed that my bb NEVER went away even after coughing up stones, and then i noticed a pattern: i always felt (still do) something in my throat, shifting, and at times protruding out of a crypt and that was when the odor was most intense. there are stones PERMANENTLY stuck in my tonsils. its so weird... i would think i swallowed them or coughed them up and im bb free for months, then i feel the shifting, they pop up, and it smells like 3 year old tonsil stones.

after researching this for who knows how long, i found ONE other person on an old tonsil stone forum who has the same problem. that was from '07. today was a bad day, i felt hopeless. no one will perform a tonsillectomy on the lingual tonsils here. no one. the anxiety is too much now and i dont know what to do.

everyone should know their body well enough to know WHERE THE PROBLEM IS COMING FROM. i wouldnt be surprised if 80% of the people here have a similar problem.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:27 am
by ithurts
After 6 months of allergy shots (starting this week) and I still have bad breath, I'm taking my tonsils out. It doesn't matter how painful it is. Just 10% chance that my bad breath might go away is good enough for me. I am much happier when I know that I am still trying and there is still hope.

Jane, where are you from?

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:10 am
by jane
ny... and i hate this place. its turned into something truly superficial and disgusting. i actually think bb would be easier to handle somewhere else. ive been thinking a/b moving to the south.. or hawaii. a completely different, beautiful atmosphere would be nice you know, whether its the country or the tropics.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:19 am
by iva
jane wrote: no one will perform a tonsillectomy on the lingual tonsils here. no one. the anxiety is too much now and i dont know what to do.
Jane, why would u want ur lingual tonsils to be operated?
I had the same ideas for a while, but now I know lingual tonsils are just a symptom, usually of GERD.
My own lingual tonsils are all granulated because of GERD and are the main source of my bb, but removing them will not solve my problem..

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:52 pm
by jane
[/quote]Jane, why would u want ur lingual tonsils to be operated?
I had the same ideas for a while, but now I know lingual tonsils are just a symptom, usually of GERD.
My own lingual tonsils are all granulated because of GERD and are the main source of my bb, but removing them will not solve my problem..[/quote]


i dont understand... how are your lingual tonsils a "symptom" of GERD? i do have some acid reflux problems but as as far as i know that can only change the formation of the tonsils, like make them grow larger for instance- thus collecting more in the crypts. like i said before, there's matter permanantly stuck in my tonsilsand i highly doubt its regurgitated food or something of that sort.

i just know that my tonsils have insanely deep (and so many) pockets and hold massive amounts of stones, both small and large. acid reflux may be a cause of bad breath, but it definately wouldnt smell like tonsil stones if it is. i have good intestinal health and from spending years with these tonsils, knowing the different phases and monitoring my breath all the while, i'd have to say im quite certain tonsil stones are the culprit.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:13 am
by iva
[quote="jane
do have some acid reflux problems but as as far as i know that can only change the formation of the tonsils, like make them grow larger for instance- thus collecting more in the crypts. like i said before, there's matter permanantly stuck in my tonsilsand i highly doubt its regurgitated food or something of that sort.
i just know that my tonsils have insanely deep (and so many) pockets and hold massive amounts of stones, both small and large. acid reflux may be a cause of bad breath, but it definately wouldnt smell like tonsil stones if it is. i have good intestinal health and from spending years with these tonsils, knowing the different phases and monitoring my breath all the while, i'd have to say im quite certain tonsil stones are the culprit.[/quote]

I do not get it - are u saying u have crypts in ur LINGUAL tonsils or in ur PALATINE tonsils?

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:54 pm
by findacure
I had my tonsils out, but it didnt cure my BB.

But it did get rid of those nasty tonsil stones, which i think added to the problem!!

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:04 pm
by jane
i have crypts in my lingual tonsils. we all do- some just have larger ones than others that trap stubborn stones :(

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 am
by iva
you may have your lingual tonsils lasesrd, but it will not help.
Problems with lingual tonsils are a symptom of other underlying problems