Your Email Address:

First Name:

Saliva

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
orange111
Junior

Saliva

Post by orange111 »

hi, i've been thinking about this today. i've had BB for as long as i can remember.i have PND and clear mucus clearing in back of my throat. anyway - . lots of people must have pnd and not have BB.

i was thinking saliva is used to fight bacteria and break food particles down in the mouth, so maybe our saliva is deficient in some anti bacterial/acid compounds.

what you think and how can we remedy it?

depressindc

Post by depressindc »

Do you suffer from dry mouth? I often suffer from dry mouth through out the day and feel extremely dehydrated, and my tongue feels and taste the worse during those times. Now, I must say when I was taking probiotics my tongue look pinker and felt better. I think I'll start back taking them. Nevertheless, I think saliva plays a huge role in my bb.
Last edited by depressindc on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
searching
Master
Re: Saliva

Post by searching »

orange111 wrote:maybe our saliva is deficient in some anti bacterial/acid compounds.

what you think and how can we remedy it?
Some studies indicate the deficiency may be in immunoglobulin, such as Immunoglobulin A. It has been mentioned in earlier posts. How to safely increase the IgA concentration is evidentially more difficult than analyzing it.

It seems feasible that an immunodeficiency, for some of us, may be at the heart of the bb condition.
popaloo

Post by popaloo »

I agree with what you say about the saliva orange111. When i lick my wrist and smell the saliva it smells like vinegar.
I too suffer badly with post nasal drip and think this contributes to the thick coating i get at the back of my tounge and hence bad breath.
Today i have just ordered a neti-pot to see if it can help in any way, have you tied this? if so has it made the congestion any better?
A dry mouth is also a big factor like you say depressindc. When i get stressed at work or if i am working outside in the sun (well what sun we get in England!) and my mouth gets dry i can even smell my breath. ](*,)
orange111
Junior

Post by orange111 »

it is cold and windy in England, especially up north (NW).

havent tried a netti pot, usually 1 nostril will be blocked so makes it hard to use it.

yes, i get dry mouth, thick white coating on my tongue. i think research needs to be done on saliva.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi, my opinion is that saliva can be ruled out because with modern analysing and straightforward sample/testing, a breakthrough on any possible connection would have long since been established.

The role that saliva normally plays at preventing such a perfect bacterial breeding ground as the mouth from microbially going completely out of control is quite simple and straightforward and well understood.

The mouth is a microbial habitat, like that of the gut, evolved by nature to be host to billions of bacteria for the purposes of digestion, consisting mainly of anaerobic bacteria which under normal cirumstances are unable to produce enough odourous compounds to become perceptible.

Saliva is rich in oxygen, and roughly constant pH neutral, it is this constant bathing/rinsing in saliva which allows it to keep anaerobic bacterial activity within its "designated areas" ie the tongue papillae. Hence common morning breath when its unable to do so, or BB if dehydrated.

Abnormal situations such as local diseases will overwhelm this system with its own production of odourous compounds. As too will any abnormal structures which create large anaerobic pockets which the saliva cannot control (gum flaps/pockets).

The fact that saliva smells is much more likely to be a symptom of the fact that the rest of the mouth smells as opposed to being related to any specific reason in the saliva itself.

Also, if there was some antibacterial property of saliva which is normally preventing those who are BB free from ever having BB, then their mouth would surely no longer be host to any bacteria? And this is clearly not true.

Of course i may be wrong, but science has yet to prove any connections between saliva and itself as an actual cause of chronic halitosis.
orange111
Junior

Post by orange111 »

good post halitosisux, but we are't normal people. Our saliva might be lacking of oxygen rich particles. normal people would have the oral bacteria in their mouths but the oxygen particles kill off the nasty ones?

how is saliva made?

i have PND, need to sort that out plus check out acid reflux (problems coming from my stomach).

my tongue grows a white fur carpet quickly, the tongue papillae get covered instantly but the small spots dont - they stay rosy red.
seeviper

Post by seeviper »

about the neti pot

i bought one about a month ago and can say that , for me at least, it doesn't really make a difference. Usually one nostril is clogged up, and when "draining" through that nostril , i see the saline solution flows out a lot slower than the 'good' nostril. but i hope it works better for you.

has anyone ever got surgery or antibiotics for their postnasal drip / sinus infections? im curious to know the results, cuz im like 80% sure my swollen/infected/whatever sinuses are what is causing it.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

orange111,
Dont you think something as simple as saliva oxygen would be known about if it was a cause?
Infact, years ago when i couldnt find any information on such matters, unlike today, i had similar thoughts and used an aquarium water oxygen test kit and my saliva oxygen level was was normal.

seeviper, have you ever tried a decongestant to see the effect it has on your PND? Have you seen an ENT about your concerns?
orange111
Junior

Post by orange111 »

well, it could be a lack of bacteria fighting properties in the saliva. i need to buy biotene toothpaste.

is tung brush worth a buy?
orange111
Junior

Post by orange111 »

i let some water (with bicarb of soda) into my nostril and drip down the back of my throat. this seemed to help me with reducing the BB.
but as soon as i ate food my tongue went furry. i believe for me its a poor balance of oral bacteria in my mouth, the bad bacteria will come out and thrive on the food bits left in my mouth.

doubt there is a cure for this. so fkin depressing
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic