Page 1 of 1

Coincidence?

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:59 pm
by halitosisux
I would like to ask a simple question.. has anyone ever detected BB on another person who doesnt have any teeth? I had an uncle who had BB whenever he put his dentures in, but as soon as he took them out his breath was fine, i guess he wasnt disinfecting them properly, so taking this into account, does anyone have any comments on this? Also, my mum had lifelong BB until she had all her teeth out.

Its not uncommon to see people even in their 40s without any teeth, funny how there isnt a single person on this site that im aware of (with BB obviously) who doesnt have any teeth.

Can this possibly just be a coincidence?

I know everyone must be sick of me going on about teeth, but i think its an interesting question and would like to hear what anyone thinks or knows of.

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:12 pm
by tonsolloliths
Very interesting Halitosisux.

I mostly remember my mom with dentures. Her breath was always lovely and beautiful; she cleaned and soaked the dentures every night to remove food gunk and such. She had the same set of dentures until she died in 2006, so almost 40 years.

She lost her natural teeth to poor dental hygiene, but I'm sure she did not have tonsil stones as those things are smelly, and she truly did not have one ounce of bb.

It seems that there are several factors that can cause bb: poor general dental health (including wisdom teeth issues), PND, tonsil stones, candida, diabetes, to name a few. I guess it's possible to suffer from one or more of these ailments.

G

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:29 am
by Archimonde
I've detected BB on my bro and father a few times and they still have their teeth. I've never detected any BB on my mom who's had dentures since i was born.

If i knew having my teeth removed would fix my BB with a 100% success rate, i'd do it in a heartbeat. But i still have all my teeth, no cavities. It'd be a pretty big gamble :( If someone is seriously considering s*****e coz of BB, then having all your teeth removed wouldn't be a bad idea as a last ditch effort ;)

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:58 pm
by tonsolloliths
Archimonde,

But if its not the teeth that are causing the bb, or the teeth are only part of the cause then it would be a senseless act.

G

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:12 pm
by Archimonde
That was precisely my point.

But no one can say " it's not the teeth ", you can't rule that out until you have them removed. Guessing what's causing your BB is meaningless, no one knows - just ask anyone who's been on this forum for years. (well except people with TMAU or ppl who cured their BB).

Like i said, even if dentists have said my dentition is in perfect condition, i can't rule out they could be the problem, especially with the anecdotal evidence in this thread. But don't worry, i'm keeping my teeth.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:34 pm
by halitosisux
Well-said Archimonde, and as hard as it is for people to swallow anything relating to dental issues when you have no reason to believe its anything dental - as long as you still have teeth you can never say its not the teeth. The teeth and gums are so inherently prone to having problems which could lead to BB.

I asked the question not so that people should start considering taking out all their teeth, but because its just curious that you would think that with a significant proportion of the world's population without any teeth, you'd expect to at least see one toothless person with BB on this site, but staggeringly (if it really is a coincidence) there doesnt appear to be any.

In other words, anyone with conditions such as TMAU or diabetes, the symptoms are so obvious that they are able to get diagnosed, unlike the people on this site in the wilderness and not having a CLUE what's causing their BB.

And like u say Arch, regarding trusting dentists - they are not infallible. We see proof of that time and time again, including my own experiences with several different dentists.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:37 am
by jc
My mom lost her teeth for as long as I can remember &she had mild BB for almost 50 years.. She had accepted it since she thought her BB was caused by diabetes. About 4 years ago she started taking my leftover probiotics & her bb`s gone now so other factors like IBS(she suffers from it too) can`t be ruled out.

I think dental technology that`s available now can decently detect something wrong with your oral health.The problem is that a lot of dentists are not giving their A-game specially when it`s about BB.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:52 am
by elliott
Archimonde wrote:That was precisely my point.

But no one can say " it's not the teeth ", you can't rule that out until you have them removed. Guessing what's causing your BB is meaningless, no one knows - just ask anyone who's
No one? Not quite. I am 100% sure "it's not the teeth".

I'm not saying anyone else has to feel this way, I speak for myself, but I know my issues are gastrointestinal. I don't know where the idea came from that people can't sense for their self where their problem lies. I don't know 'why and how', but I know 'what'.

Everyone knows that teeth collect bacteria and have to be cleaned properly in order to maintain hygiene. Without oral hygiene, we know that oral odors are caused. I do have BB from my mouth, everyday actually... in the morning, if I'm dehydrated, after drinking, etc. just like any normal person. As most of us know, chronic halitosis is a bit different than morning breath and the like.

For those of you who don't understand what it feels like... You can feel it in your gut. You literally feel it. You sense it. It's a gas inside that's always there. At times you wish you could rinse your esophagus out. After eating you feel bloated and disgusting. You can feel sour mucous coating your insides all the way up to your throat. When you contort into certain position of the back and neck you can emit that gas, and it stinks. If you burp, you emit that gas and it stinks. It smells like it feels, and it tastes like it smells. Believe it or not, there are people who feel this everyday. If you haven't felt any of this, than I agree, you should check your teeth. You may not relate to any of this, but it does not mean that some people deal with it everyday.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:21 pm
by iva
[/quote] I am 100% sure "it's not the teeth".

I'm not saying anyone else has to feel this way, I speak for myself, but I know my issues are gastrointestinal. I don't know where the idea came from that people can't sense for their self where their problem lies. I don't know 'why and how', but I know 'what'.

For those of you who don't understand what it feels like... You can feel it in your gut. You literally feel it. You sense it. It's a gas inside that's always there. At times you wish you could rinse your esophagus out. After eating you feel bloated and disgusting. You can feel sour mucous coating your insides all the way up to your throat. When you contort into certain position of the back and neck you can emit that gas, and it stinks. If you burp, you emit that gas and it stinks. It smells like it feels, and it tastes like it smells. Believe it or not, there are people who feel this everyday. If you haven't felt any of this, than I agree, you should check your teeth. You may not relate to any of this, but it does not mean that some people deal with it everyday.[/quote]

I can relate to that 100%. My issues are gastrointestinal too. After every meal I feel like "rinsing my esophagus out" and I know its coming from inside. Everyone with GI problems should know how it feels.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:57 pm
by Archimonde
Elliot,

I wasn't suggesting that your teeth might be rotten and causing a stench, any dentist can identify that.

There could be, for example, an infection under one tooth causing problems in your body, possibly weakening your body's defense against bacteria. Or the position of your teeth causes problems in your nasal cavities causing PND and BB. Those theories are improbable but not too far-fetched and within the realm of possibilities imo.

Tho the odds that teeth are the problem are pretty low, i'll give you that. Personally, my guess is that there's something in food that our body doesn't digest properly.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:57 pm
by halitosisux
Everyone has their own "gut" feeling what's causing their BB, but until a person finds out their cause its only ever going to be made up of assumptions.
No matter what your instincts are telling you, the root cause could be completely unrelated. For example if you had an undiagnosed nasal problem, this could then drain into your throat and give you the false impression that your problem is originating within your GI tract.
Im not questioning anyone's own judgement but just asking what I think is a fascinating question.
Sorry to sound so patronising but I think the most important thing is an open mind, and anyone who thinks they know the cause of their BB has closed their mind to other possibilities. The point of my original question is the coincidence, that you never hear of anyone without teeth who has chronic BB other than those with confirmed TMAU or diabetes etc. It just makes u think how easily a person might end up spending a lifetime barking up all the wrong trees. I was UTTERLY convinced at the time that my tonsils were the cause of my BB, I would have bet my LIFE on it, there was NO QUESTION, they were full of stones, they stunk my whole mouth and throat out, but yet having them hacked out made not the slightest difference.