THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

Sinus Infections, Odor, and our Environment

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
ElGrizzle
Advanced
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:51 am

Sinus Infections, Odor, and our Environment

Post by ElGrizzle »

I have reason to believe that constant exposure to a dusty environment could cause malodor of the sinus cavity and mouth.

Dust contains spore bearing bacteria which will cause recurring and chronic sinus infections. If we are in a home that has a pet, or is dirty and dusty, it will has the ability of keeping our sinus cavity odorous due to the putrefaction of bacteria which is blocked therein due to infection.

Image

My house is dusty and I have a dog.... I always get sinus infections, what about everyone else here?

Now I came across some interesting information about how to properly clean the sinus, and it involves filling your sinus with the salt water solution, and then bending over forwards so that the solution enters your frontal sinus. The water won't gravitate towards that area in an upright rinse. There is an article here with thorough instructions, I suggest you read it

[urlhttp://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322[/url]


[/url]
ElGrizzle
Advanced
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:51 am

Post by ElGrizzle »

Here is a little update. I was reading through a book called, "Allergies, disease in disguise" and I found a part about sinus infections. Supposedly fungus in the sinus is very stubborn, and what they suggested was to use tea tree oil.

They said to put four drops of tea tree oil in some hot water in a cup, and inhale the fumes through the nose, and out the mouth 4-5 times, 3 times a day.

I did it all yesterday and this morning, and the smell has been diminishing to the point where it is almost gone. The PND is still there a bit though, but it seems to be odorless.

Another interesting fact is that after the first few times I inhaled the fumes, I could smell an odor that I hadn't smelt in a while, it was what my room begins to smell like when I close the window for a while. Interesting...

So far so good... as for the mouth, perhaps nystatin. We shall see. One step at a time.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Hi,
There's a few threads on here in which so much has been discussed. Have you seen an ENT or doctor about this? A willing ENT will be able to detect whether odour is originating from the nose in contrast with the lungs and mouth as main sources. Taking cultures from the nose and sinus drainage will also help to determine. If you read about biofilm formation inside the sinuses and the onset of chronic sinusitis etc you might be able to make some connections to your own situation.
The sinuses are the most perfect environment for fungal growth to initiate and grow. Some people are allergic to any fungal presense which leads to secondary problems which lead to bad breath.

I think sinuses are right up there with undiagnosed dental causes as the most likely cause of BB.. and also just as deceptive.

PND may well be a sign of something wrong up there, but I dont think (clear and odourless) PND itself is a cause of BB. If at all, it might exacerbate an existing oral situation which has given rise for whatever reason to give excessive bacterial activity on the tongue, but not by much. Consider how much the average healthy person subconsciously swallows in a day and that makes sense.
ElGrizzle
Advanced
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:51 am

Post by ElGrizzle »

My doctor noticed an infection put me on antibiotics and sent me to an ENT. The ENT said that it was inflamed and deviated, but he noticed no infection to remove. We did not speak about bad breath.

I do not remember wether the antibiotics removed the bad breath or sinus inflammation or not... srry. But a few months later I went to my doctor and we have been trying to find the cause of the BB, blood tests, urine tests, Gastro ENT, H pylori tests, all showed nothing! lol. So I asked if we could use metronidazole to eliminate the BB, as I have heard it is effective. He said ok, and put me on a combination of Metrindazole, Amoxicillin, and an ATP-ase inhibitor (pariet) which is for acid-reflux (which I do not have). He decided to try and treat for H-pylori anyways. It was completely successful, and all of my food allergies disappeared.

- Bad taste in mouth gone
- No morning breath
- No bad breath reactions
- No bad breath
- No more sinus inflammation or intestinal discomfort/inflammation from consuming dairy
- Often good bowel movements (unlike usual)
- No acne on the back
- No oil coming out of pores on face
- No redness or inflammation of face

After I stopped using it, the symptoms quickly came back, but for good reason, I was drinking a lot of whiskey partying with my friends after finishing the antibiotics and a bit while on them (im 23 :D ) I went to see the ENT again, and told him about the bad breath, and he said it could be the PND. But offered on septum surgery which he said isn't necessary.

So I told my doctor how it completely worked, but it came back after I stopped. He suggested a longer treatment. So I did this, but this time no drinking. It worked again. And when I came off of them I took in plenty of plain yoghurt to keep up good bacteria. The good breath lasted a good while, but eventually came back with my drinking of beer, pop, and eating of junk food. I can keep it under control with a no sugar diet. but I thought I was cured.

So about 2 weeks ago I got the swine flu. in 3 days I recovered (its just like any other flu)but I was getting major time morning breath. Yes, it smelt like shit. So I took the antibiotics for about 5 days. It has removed the morning breath, and my mouth feels great, but there is that damn smell in my sinus. It kinda smells like a fart.

And here is an update. My sense of smell isn't too bad at all. But when I inhale the tea tree oil fumes, after about 10 seconds, I can smell this (farty/moldy) odor in the area I had just been, and I just moved in to a brand new apartment building 3 days ago, so it doesn't already smell like that.

Its as if tea tree gives us a chance to smell the odor we are exuding. I have to be strict with my diet to remove the smell. Im gonna go see my doctor about the sinus, and maybe ask for a different ENT, one that will take cultures of my sinus.
User avatar
Archimonde
Super Angel
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 pm

Post by Archimonde »

edit:
Last edited by Archimonde on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Agreed, lots of good feedback and info there.

I know from my own personal experience that metronidazole is a powerful antibiotic which works very efficiently on the oral bacteria since its also secreted in the saliva, but also like most antibiotics affect the gut flora too and this effect is utilized as a weapon by some with TMAU to reduce the symptoms by reducing bacterial levels and activity in the gut (remember trimethylamine responsible for the fishy odour of TMAU is a chemical PRODUCED IN THE GUT by the bacterial breakdown of choline etc).

I'm not saying that anyone has TMAU, but since antibiotics are now regarded as having very little effect on even acute cases of sinusitis, let alone deep seated cases of chronic sinusitis, its unlikely to have been anything to do with sinuses, problems with which are easy enough to diagnose and generally straightforward to deal with.

Problems with the digestive tract which might be temporarily resolved with metronidazole are also straightforward to diagnose, such as hernia and structural problems with the esophagus.

There are all kinds of ways in which blood-borne halitosis can suddenly kick in, and also TMAU is not the only type. Intestinal bacterial overgrowth, hormone imbalance, liver problems (weakened enzyme function/levels etc) can all potentially allow this situation to arise.

This might even be the reason why Goldenseal has apparently able to cure fecal breath for some people, through its antibacterial effect in the gut. It might affect absorption too, since it also has a laxitive effect if I read correctly and various effects on the mucous membranes in the gut and elsewhere.

Archimonde, when u say "it gets worse before it gets better" might be that once your senses get used to a particular odour through familiarization effect, the reduction might only be apparent to you, but yet the odour remains. And vice versa just when u think you stink the worst you dont smell at all to others, as so many ppl tend to find at meetups.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗