Page 1 of 1

Just putting it out there...

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:34 am
by me
A lot of dogs suffer of the poop breath. If you try to research on the internet you'll find a lot of people asking why their dogs breath smells like poop, even when they are making sure that their dogs don't actually eat poop.

I know this is kind of a stupid post, but is important to know that some dogs share are struggle :| :? =P~ 8-[

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:13 am
by Archimonde
Yep, i've learned that when i was into raw food and typing in google like: "bad breath" "raw food". I'd get lots of links about dog owners discussing their dogs breath and they'd pretty much say all the same thing: some dogs get bad breath from eating manufactured dog food (Purina, Pedigree, etc), and the way to fix that is to stop feeding them that food, and feed em meat and bones (i don't remember if the meat has to be raw or can be cooked too). It's as simple as that.

I've read the same thing from cat owners. I wouldn't be surprised if that's also the case for most animals.. and humans. That's one of the reason i'm currently on a 100% [cooked] meat diet a.k.a Zero Carb diet. I figured if it works for dogs, it might work for me too COZ I'M A DOG, DAWG. 5 weeks so far. I had a conversation with a woman at the park yesterday and of course, i propositionned her, she didn't say yes but she didn't run for her life either, so there's hope! There is hope.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:29 am
by halitosisux
The main reason why dogs have shit breath is because of dental problems caused by their diets of soft wet food. And eating their own shit isnt going to help matters either, which is what a lot of dogs do when they're not busy licking their parts clean.

Even cats suffer BB for the same reason, eating wet food all the time allows tartar to build up and once gums recede and germs get in its irreversible.

Most pets end up dying of heart liver or kidney troubles caused by bacteria entering the bloodstream from dental diseases. This is a fact.

But yes, there is possibly more to it than this in some cases.

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:02 am
by Archimonde
Halit,

Poor dental hygiene doesn't make us smell like poop. Take a homeless person with dental problems who hasn't showered and brushed his teeth in weeks, he will smell dirty, his breath will be foul but i bet he won't smell like poop. Poop breath / poop b.o denotes a bacterial problem, not a hygiene problem imo. I still think too m uch carbs is what give dogs, cats and possibly humans bacterial issues which result in poop breath.

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:07 pm
by halitosisux
Archi maybe there are deeper reasons other than simple bacterial diseases going on inside the mouth etc relating to gums/sinuses etc, im not at all dismissing this.

But generally speaking the majority of cases of bad breath (including shit breath) in pets relates to nothing more than their teeth/gums/disease/bacteria inside their mouth. The information and the proof backing this up is everywhere.

Poor dental hygiene alone probably doesnt make anyone smell that bad, but it can lead to problems that certainly can. Depends on a heap of different factors including the particular residing bacterial populations, the chemistry and other biological factors.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:51 am
by jc
Archimonde, do you use any kind of seasoning for your meat?

I`m currently on a low sugar & low sulfur diet but I might try the zero carb diet if the latter diets fail.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:42 pm
by Archimonde
jc wrote:Archimonde, do you use any kind of seasoning for your meat?
pepper sometimes, that's it. If you wanna use spices, go ahead, it's only got traces of carbs. I wouldn't use commercial sauces tho, they're pretty high in carbs.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:08 am
by jc
Archimonde wrote:
pepper sometimes, that's it. If you wanna use spices, go ahead, it's only got traces of carbs. I wouldn't use commercial sauces tho, they're pretty high in carbs.

Thanks.