THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
ENT appointment Tommorow
- Archimonde
- Super Angel
- Posts: 878
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 pm
Re: ENT appointment Tommorow
Yeah, don't do it. Why have a surgery that has worked for like 1% of BB sufferers?OneDay111 wrote: Any tips?
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
ditto
I would bet my life, that if it were possible to transplant your tonsils into someone else's throat, they wouldnt cause any problems. And vice-versa if you could do the same with someone else's tonsils they'd still end up stinking and producing stones etc.
If you can believe that, can you still imagine that they are the underlying cause of your BB?
Its really hard to convince yourself your tonsils are not the cause when they APPEAR to be the source of your odour, but SERIOUSLY there is no reason for them to be unless they are acutely infected, and as most people with a full-blown case of halitosis who've had tonsillectomies can testify, that removal is completely futile.
Try to resist taking this DRASTIC step, at least try to leave it until ALL other avenues have been exhausted.
I would bet my life, that if it were possible to transplant your tonsils into someone else's throat, they wouldnt cause any problems. And vice-versa if you could do the same with someone else's tonsils they'd still end up stinking and producing stones etc.
If you can believe that, can you still imagine that they are the underlying cause of your BB?
Its really hard to convince yourself your tonsils are not the cause when they APPEAR to be the source of your odour, but SERIOUSLY there is no reason for them to be unless they are acutely infected, and as most people with a full-blown case of halitosis who've had tonsillectomies can testify, that removal is completely futile.
Try to resist taking this DRASTIC step, at least try to leave it until ALL other avenues have been exhausted.
- Archimonde
- Super Angel
- Posts: 878
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 pm
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
They may well stink and be full of stones, but does that fact alone necessarily mean this makes your breath stink? Tonsil stones, as bad as they smell, only really release their potency when they are destroyed or crushed.
As I said, its very difficult not to feel convinced they are what cause your breath and the rest of your mouth to smell bad, and yes maybe in extreme cases they do add to the underlying odour problem, but the most important question is whether or not they are the root cause. In my opinion, they smell purely because, for whatever the reason might be, somewhere else smells and these odourous chemicals find their way into the cryps where they coagulate along with solid debris into stones.
Its for this very reason that people associate tonsils odours/stones with bad breath, not because the tonsils are themselves responsible, but because the underlying reason for a person having bad breath is what makes the tonsils smell bad. That is why tonsillectomy tends to end up being such a futile step for most.
Maybe you are feeling so desperate that you'll try anything including things which deep down you know do not work. Consider it really carefully because surely there must be other things you have yet to try.
As I said, its very difficult not to feel convinced they are what cause your breath and the rest of your mouth to smell bad, and yes maybe in extreme cases they do add to the underlying odour problem, but the most important question is whether or not they are the root cause. In my opinion, they smell purely because, for whatever the reason might be, somewhere else smells and these odourous chemicals find their way into the cryps where they coagulate along with solid debris into stones.
Its for this very reason that people associate tonsils odours/stones with bad breath, not because the tonsils are themselves responsible, but because the underlying reason for a person having bad breath is what makes the tonsils smell bad. That is why tonsillectomy tends to end up being such a futile step for most.
Maybe you are feeling so desperate that you'll try anything including things which deep down you know do not work. Consider it really carefully because surely there must be other things you have yet to try.
halitosissux, I believe you but.... I just cant cant in your words, its too hard. I'm having my tonsillectomy on September 7TH wish me good luck its the best you can do. At least I can write them off, than always cry at the day when i lost possible oppinuty to cure my bad breath. So i think its better i go ahead just for my mental sake.
One Day One Day....
-
caramiamine98
- Advanced
- Posts: 188
- Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:35 am
- Location: Canada
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
I know what you mean because I've been there too and felt like I had nothing else left to try or to lose. It is very much a mental thing rather than a logical step. But with all the information around today and my own personal experience of failure on this I had to say what I did, but there's always a chance it might work so I wish you the best of luck.
Halitosis-sux, this is mainly directed to you, because you seem to have a clear head about these types of things
-----
Lately ive been getting sore throats from my cryptic tonsils so I think I have an excuse, but I have "TMAU-strength odor".
I dont think that tonsils can be my main problem.
Okay so the odor is somewhat subjective--- I mean my parents can't notice it, but my friends and some family can... its really bad.. TMAU bad. I havent been smart enough to localize it, but people either think I crapped myself or say my breath is terrible. It's really bad.
So I have these very cryptic tonsils, but I also have a deviated septum and GERD.... = I have lots of mucus in my throat and my tonsils reeeeek if I smell them.
I also have this feeling of wetness on my body... I kind of feel like this could be bromhydrosis + bad breath = TMAU level odor.
My TMAU test was negative... it was a urine test.. .my doc wants me to take blood test to make sure, but its 400 bucks.
So I either have TMAU or a disease like it... or I have bromhydrosis around my buttock causing a terrible odor + bad breath from tonsils / deviated septum.
Soooo what doctors do I go to now... I guess ENT which Ive been to will fix my deviated septum and maybe take out my tonsils.
Derma for the wetness and odor there?
GI i've been to, but again to make sure there isnt any rectal prolapse...
GP to get the TMAU blood test sent in.
I'm really lost. I took the semester off, ive been having this off and on for a while, but REALLY bad for a year. I should be starting school today with my friends. Last year this time was so much fun even though I was a bit stinky... I really want to be independent and NORMAL.
Dont want to be a downer, but I need some guidance from any1 lol
-----
Lately ive been getting sore throats from my cryptic tonsils so I think I have an excuse, but I have "TMAU-strength odor".
I dont think that tonsils can be my main problem.
Okay so the odor is somewhat subjective--- I mean my parents can't notice it, but my friends and some family can... its really bad.. TMAU bad. I havent been smart enough to localize it, but people either think I crapped myself or say my breath is terrible. It's really bad.
So I have these very cryptic tonsils, but I also have a deviated septum and GERD.... = I have lots of mucus in my throat and my tonsils reeeeek if I smell them.
I also have this feeling of wetness on my body... I kind of feel like this could be bromhydrosis + bad breath = TMAU level odor.
My TMAU test was negative... it was a urine test.. .my doc wants me to take blood test to make sure, but its 400 bucks.
So I either have TMAU or a disease like it... or I have bromhydrosis around my buttock causing a terrible odor + bad breath from tonsils / deviated septum.
Soooo what doctors do I go to now... I guess ENT which Ive been to will fix my deviated septum and maybe take out my tonsils.
Derma for the wetness and odor there?
GI i've been to, but again to make sure there isnt any rectal prolapse...
GP to get the TMAU blood test sent in.
I'm really lost. I took the semester off, ive been having this off and on for a while, but REALLY bad for a year. I should be starting school today with my friends. Last year this time was so much fun even though I was a bit stinky... I really want to be independent and NORMAL.
Dont want to be a downer, but I need some guidance from any1 lol
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Hi Vilenin,
All I can say really is that once you've ABSOLUTELY ruled out the usual obvious causes such as sinus infection or dental problems, which usually turn out to be the cause for most people, including myself, and then you consider the below paragraphs pasted from wikipedia, it makes you think that this is where the people in this category of sufferer absolutely should be focusing their attentions.
It seems to me that everything which appears to have ever helped anyone with their halitosis (which incidentally never seemed to help me at all) including their BB symptoms such as ENTIRE building stenches or being overtaken on motorways because the sunroof is open! can be linked in some way to TMAU or something very similar. Even those who are reporting that cutting out dairy has cured their BB, it *might* have nothing at all to do with lactose intolerance (which from my understanding has very clearly defined symptoms which surely would have easily already been diagnosed)
From my understanding, attempts at TMAU management isnt just about eating (avoiding) foods high in choline, the problem is a combination of many different aspects, especially the intestinal gut flora, but also the degree to which the enzyme which breaks down TMA is defective. So even protein contained in milk *might*, for some, affect overall TMA production enough to cause odour problems.
Symptoms of TMAU have been linked to hormonal variations, puberty etc, and even taking contraceptive pill. I'm sure there've been people on this forum who reportedly cured their BB with certain contraceptive pills.
My advice is to focus on TMAU. Its much more complex than just stinking (or not stinking) of fish or "I dont have it because I dont have BO". There are many many factors and nothing else comes close to explaining the BIZARRENESS and the perplexity of this problem than TMAU or similar related systemic/metabolic theory.
The reason why fishy odour is so closely associated with TMAU is because its so definitive. When people smell of shit it can be due to absolutely anything. But TMAU definitely is NOT just about smelling fishy.
I guess the reason why your doctor wants you to have the genetic test is because the urine test can inherently give false negatives because of the nature of the test, as well as the nature of TMAU.
All I can say really is that once you've ABSOLUTELY ruled out the usual obvious causes such as sinus infection or dental problems, which usually turn out to be the cause for most people, including myself, and then you consider the below paragraphs pasted from wikipedia, it makes you think that this is where the people in this category of sufferer absolutely should be focusing their attentions.
It seems to me that everything which appears to have ever helped anyone with their halitosis (which incidentally never seemed to help me at all) including their BB symptoms such as ENTIRE building stenches or being overtaken on motorways because the sunroof is open! can be linked in some way to TMAU or something very similar. Even those who are reporting that cutting out dairy has cured their BB, it *might* have nothing at all to do with lactose intolerance (which from my understanding has very clearly defined symptoms which surely would have easily already been diagnosed)
From my understanding, attempts at TMAU management isnt just about eating (avoiding) foods high in choline, the problem is a combination of many different aspects, especially the intestinal gut flora, but also the degree to which the enzyme which breaks down TMA is defective. So even protein contained in milk *might*, for some, affect overall TMA production enough to cause odour problems.
Symptoms of TMAU have been linked to hormonal variations, puberty etc, and even taking contraceptive pill. I'm sure there've been people on this forum who reportedly cured their BB with certain contraceptive pills.
My advice is to focus on TMAU. Its much more complex than just stinking (or not stinking) of fish or "I dont have it because I dont have BO". There are many many factors and nothing else comes close to explaining the BIZARRENESS and the perplexity of this problem than TMAU or similar related systemic/metabolic theory.
The reason why fishy odour is so closely associated with TMAU is because its so definitive. When people smell of shit it can be due to absolutely anything. But TMAU definitely is NOT just about smelling fishy.
I guess the reason why your doctor wants you to have the genetic test is because the urine test can inherently give false negatives because of the nature of the test, as well as the nature of TMAU.
wikipedia wrote: Carriers may have mild symptoms of trimethylaminuria or experience temporary episodes of fish-like body odor.
Mutations in the FMO3 gene, which is found on the long arm of chromosome 1, cause trimethylaminuria. The FMO3 gene makes an enzyme that breaks down nitrogen-containing compounds from the diet, including trimethylamine. These compounds are produced by bacteria in the intestine as they digest proteins from eggs, meat, soy, and other foods. Normally, the FMO3 enzyme converts fishy-smelling trimethylamine into trimethylamine N-oxide which has no odor. If the enzyme is missing or its activity is reduced because of a mutation in the FMO3 gene, trimethylamine is not broken down and instead builds up in the body. As the compound is released in a person's sweat, urine, and breath, it causes the strong odor characteristic of trimethylaminuria. Researchers believe that stress and diet also play a role in triggering symptoms.
There are more than 40 known mutations associated with TMAU.
Although FMO3 mutations account for most known cases of trimethylaminuria, some cases are caused by other factors. A fish-like body odor could result from an excess of certain proteins in the diet or from an increase in bacteria in the digestive system. A few cases of the disorder have been identified in adults with liver damage caused by hepatitis.
Currently, there is no cure and treatment options are limited. However, it is possible for a limited number of people with this disorder to live relatively normal, healthy lives without the fear of being shunned because of their unpleasant odor. Getting tested is an important first step. Ways of reducing the odor include:
Avoiding foods such as eggs, legumes, certain meats, fish, and foods that contain choline, carnitine, nitrogen, and sulfur
Taking low doses of antibiotics (neomycin and metronidazole) to reduce the amount of bacteria in the gut
Using slightly acidic detergents with a pH between 5.5 and 6.5
At least one study[7] has suggested that the daily intake of charcoal and/or copper chlorophyllin may be of significant use in improving the quality of life of individuals suffering mild forms of TMAU. Success rates varied:
85% of people tested completely lost their "fishy" odor
10% partially lost their odor
5% kept the scent
However, whilst they may be beneficial in some cases, many people in trimethylaminuria support groups who have tried charcoal and copper chlorophyllin have reported disappointing results. The above study has not been repeated so results cannot be verified.
-
caramiamine98
- Advanced
- Posts: 188
- Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:35 am
- Location: Canada
Hi Vilenin89,
I found a website discussing body odor and metabolic disorders. You may find it of interest.
http://bodyodor777.com/causes_metabolicdisorder.html
If you are ever thinking of having another go at a low choline diet, I have a copy of an actual one from a dietician from UCL in London. LJ posted it a few years ago but the text came out jumbled. I'm about half way done figuring it out and will post it if you or anyone else is interested. Cheers. C
I found a website discussing body odor and metabolic disorders. You may find it of interest.
http://bodyodor777.com/causes_metabolicdisorder.html
If you are ever thinking of having another go at a low choline diet, I have a copy of an actual one from a dietician from UCL in London. LJ posted it a few years ago but the text came out jumbled. I'm about half way done figuring it out and will post it if you or anyone else is interested. Cheers. C
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.