Page 1 of 2
My experience - fixing REFLUX
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:50 am
by iva
Perhaps you remember that I have stomach issues - reflux (turning into laryngopharingeal and contributing to my halitosis), gastritis, etc.
I fixed my reflux by having the Esophyx procedure, which restores the lower esophageal sphyncter and thus prevents the stomach contents from returning to the esophagus.
Then, since I had a thick white coating of the tongue, I took fluconazole, which made the coating disppear and also my nasal sectretion almost disappeared.
I can reassure you that I haven`t felt my mouth or throat so clean since I have had halitosis.
After going through my morning cleaning routine I get no reactions......until I eat anything (lunch for example). Still that gives me at least 4 hours without reactions. Hours of freedom!
Well, that leads me to the conclusion, that for some reason (LPR, PND) a biofilm has formed in my mouth and throat and now all I can do is fight this biofilm.
Pretty much that has been my progress so far, hope my experience can help some of you.
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:48 am
by halitosisux
Congrats iva, I hope this was indeed the root cause for you and that you soon manage to deal with any secondary issues relating to this discovery. My mum has just started on omeprazole because she has such poor appetite lately and the doctor thinks she might have an inflamed stomach lining due to excessive acid production. She's never tried such medication before, and I cant wait to see if this proves she might have silent reflux behind all her nasal problems that she still suffers so badly with, even after so many nasal operations that did nothing for her. She had extensive gastric investigations in the past and definitely doesnt have the classic reflux symptoms as you had, but I'll keep you informed if there's any changes to her situation if its of any interest to you or anyone else.
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:12 am
by iva
Hi, halitosisux
tnx for the reply. I think the root cause for the halitosis of all of us are biofilms formed by different reasons (PND, LPR or other). Bad news is you can`t fight biofilms easily...
Hali, your mother may have LPR behind her nasal problems. I find my PND almost gone after the anti-reflux operation.
Omeprazole will work for the classic problems of hyperacidity - chest pain, burning sensation, etc. I didn`t have those classic symptoms, my symptoms were in the larynx area -- globus sensation, white coating of the tongue, PND.
And yes-keep us posted, pls.
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:35 am
by halitosisux
Hi iva,
I'm really hoping that this does help my mum, she's suffered for so long and she's quite old, I cant imagine her having some relief from her nasal problems that made her life such a misery. I'm so pleased to hear it helped your PND. And I just made a post about biofilm too, and reading your reply now its made me wonder whether acid reflux might damage the cilia of mucous membranes? Someone recently mentioned that this is how biofilms take hold in the sinuses, something which I didnt realise. And if this is true then it could allow stagnant bacteria to build up and form biofilms in any area they can take hold of.
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:13 pm
by iva
Hali,
u are reading my mind!
My theory is that acid reflux, reaching as high as the larynx area, damages the mucous membranes, which are not designed to manage the acidity of the stomach contents.
To protect themselves from the acid, membranes secrete vigorously and create friendly environment for bacteria.
That is how biofilms are formed in the throat and mouth and even sinuses. On the other hand biofilms are very active and produce VSCs and that is how halitosis appears.
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:50 pm
by lost
Hi Iva,
Thanks for sharing.I think i've the same stomach problems as yours.
I've visited a gastro specialist few months back on my acid reflux and serious gastric problems( it pains even i had my meal too full ) and i did endoscopy. The doctor said that my stomach is so acidic, thus causing gastritis and the acid reflux has weaken my esophageal sphyncter causing it not to function as it supposed. This is reason why i experience food refluxing so frequently.
he did mentioned that i have GERD but he didnt say anything on LPR but i have experience food reflux back to my throat though. And he prescribed some medication that reduces the acidity of my stomach instead as he said that operation is an older method to fix the problem. During the medication im alot better though and my bb had improved. But once i stopped, the reflux is back to be serious. i went to the specialist again and he said my GERD isn't that bad compare to others and keep medicating for a two months if not mistaken and only consult him if i whenever think i need more medication after the prescription on the two months. (i guess it's an endless story).
He didn't make any suggestion that i need to have an operation.Your post reminds me that maybe the fixing operation will help reduce my bb. Because i really think that this problem contribute to my bb as everytime after a meal, my mouth taste just like what i've eaten and the smell too.
So, is your doctor offering you to have the operation?
and can you please tell me some information on the Esophyx operation? is it a minor surgery? how long is the recovery time?
Sorry for my poor english. Hope you can help me on this.
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:07 pm
by Larc400
iva! Did you have any reflux symptoms from your LPR? i e actually feeling gastric contents coming up. Or were the symptoms only globus, white coating and PND..?
When I sleep on my right side I wake up feeling like I will vomit any second, then I sit up and that feeling disappears. Guess that could be reflux. I have no heartburn or acidic taste etc though...
Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:25 am
by TeamZissou
Larc, I've experience the exact same thing in the past. Waking up in the middle of the night about to throw up. Drinking water has helped me get rid of that feeling, possibly by driving the acid out of the throat.
I also have many of the LPR symptoms others have mentioned.
I couldn't agree more that there is a connection between acid and BB.
Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:33 am
by PatJewett
This has happened to me before too. I almost thought I was having a heart attack. The burning taste in my mouth was awful. I found out later that it was acid reflux. I think this was contributing to my breath issues too. I have been taking medication to control my acid reflux and my breath is much better now.
-------------------
Pat Jewett
Dental insurance
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:37 am
by iva
Hi, lost, Larc
I never had the typical sypmtoms of acid reflux - heartburn, pain in the chest, etc. Instead the problem was in my throat and in my mouth. I needed to clear my throat constantly, the taste of what I had eaten remained long in my mouth, my tongue was all white.
Endoscopies revealed I had mild esophagitis and my sphincer was loose. Also I had a small hiatal hernia and I was a perfect candidate for the Esophyx procedure.
I had taken ppi for a long time with no effect on my bad breath, they jsut lowered the acidity of the stomach contents poring back into the esophagus after meal (and not only).
Doctors in my counrty do not do this operation and hence did not recommend it to me, I was the one to find a surgeon and to be active.
The Esophyx procedure is minimally invasive and restores the lower esopageal sphincter. The recovery period is short - I flew back from the hospital 2 days after the procedure and retuned to work a week later. Now I just have to watch my diet.
Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:55 am
by lost
Thx Iva, may i know where are you from?
wish that we are from the same country so that i can directly approach your surgeon then.haha.
i think i have a quite similar problem as yours as i don't experience much heartburn or chest pain but i do have pnd from my sinus. So, i think my problem are GERD and pnd also.
I just had my double eyelid surgery two days ago and im now taking antibiotics. Strangely, during these days, my floss doesn't smell anymore as it used to be ( maybe the antibiotics kill off the bac that causing bb i guess ) but still whenever what i've eaten something, my mouth smell exactly the food. Is this confirmed that my bb is due to gerd and i should go for the surgery??
Sorry for bothering you alot but i have to confirm myself first before im going to convince my parents and to find a surgeon to have this surgery for me.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:15 pm
by iva
Lost,
before thinking of surgery you should be absolutely sure u need one. Endoscopy reveals whether u have a loose non functioning lower esophageal sphincter.
Barrium swallow would show if u experience reflux and if u have hiatal hernia and good esophageal motility.
24 hour PH test (which is not available in my country and I have never done it) would show if u have reflux, how high it reaches, whether it is acidic or not.
Maybe there are other tests that I am not aware of...
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:11 pm
by deebas
Thats weird as I always have to clear my throat especially after brushing my teeth... often have what feels like balls of gunk in my lower throat (feels like behind adams apple)..
However unlike you people I do have contstant heart burn and pain in the chest as well as ocassionally feeling short of breath even though I am fit and run often..
IF the Klacid Hp7 and antacids dont work, i'll be looking into the other things you have tried such as surgery. Did you first go to an ENT to get diagnosed?
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:41 pm
by iva
To get diagnosed with what?
No doctor has ever diagnosed me with bad breath..
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:48 pm
by deebas
No, I was referring to the Esophyx procedure you had..
Who suggested that you should have the procedure?