Page 1 of 1

Starting to wonder if it really is TMAU

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:09 am
by ElGrizzle
Hey, I never thought it would be TMAU cause I didn't think I smelled up a whole room (wrong), that and I thought TMAU only smells like fish (wrong).

My odor is musty, fecal, rotten egg, which has been described in TMAU males.

I will see about getting the urine test done.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:31 am
by halitosisux
Read about secondary TMAU. The theory makes absolute sense regarding so many of the measures people take on this site regarding diet and relief and symptoms (including lack of symptoms).
You can have that and yet still test negative for TMAU because it happens for different reasons to primary TMAU. Also, metronidazole might relieve your BB for a while because it dampens the trimethlyamine producing bacteria in your gut that turn choline into trimethylamine.

And trimethylamine in low quantity doesnt smell of fish it smells of garbage etc which can get secreted in saliva and exhaled lung air etc.

If any person eats enough eggs for example, they'll end up having eaten enough choline to cause a buildup of trimethylamine, enough to give them perceivable odours beginning with rotten garbage leading right up to typical rotten fish odour associated with having primary TMAU.

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:49 am
by caramiamine98
ElGrizzle, If you are in the UK you are in luck as testing for primary and secondary TMAU is standard. In the US and elsewhere they only test for primary TMAU so the important thing to note is the conversion rate of TMA to TMAO. A conversion rate of 95% or more is negative, a rate of 90% or less is considered positive for primary TMAU while a rate in the middle may indicate secondary TMAU.

Burning rubber is another smell associated with TMAU as well as the previously mentioned ones. Actually only 10% of people diagnosed with TMAU have a fish-like smell.

The TMAU thread on this forum has a lot of info on it. It covers the different types of TMAU, diet considerations, further info on testing, has dangerous experiments, and plenty of action, adventure and romance. Okay, I made that last part up. :D

viewtopic.php?t=46