Page 1 of 1

Advice?

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:35 pm
by sallybb
Hey guys! I need some advice.

I'm going to go to the dentist for the first time about my bad breath! I've had it for 7 years now and i've always just been too embarrassed to go.

But I feel like if I say that to them they will think my breath cant be that bad if I have never said anything!! but it is. its so so bad. I just find it so embarrassing!

Anyway any positive advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks xx

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:29 pm
by halitosisux
Sally, havent you asked this question before? :-k
Anyway, the last time someone asked a question like this, I remember advising to perhaps try the indirect approach, for when the embarrassment feels too much.
For instance, if you mentioned to your dentist that you are worried because your boyfriend keeps telling you that your breath is unpleasant, then firstly, that's one good way of preventing your dentist from trying to convince you that you dont have a breath problem and compels them to try to find out why you do, but it also helps with the embarrassment of mentioning it. Its NEVER easy to talk about such personal things, especially something which is usually only associated with being unclean and unhygienic (as far as general understanding goes) - BB is a taboo subject - But until quite recent history, mouthwash wasnt part of most people's standard oral hygiene regimen, but it is today.
Because there is more general understanding of the typical causes of BB (which are, infact, usually dental) its not such a big deal to admit you are struggling to maintain your breath freshness. Dentists get closer than anyone else to the source of oral stench and they are quite used to this and dealing with it. They are professional people and they wont be looking at you or judging you in any way. Just grit your teeth and throw yourself into it, otherwise at this rate, your life will pass you by before you know it.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:38 pm
by halitosisux
Getting help takes always takes courage, so just be as assertive as you can and and keep focused on what it is you are ultimately trying to achieve. The average person would rather DIE than to be in your shoes, so take this as an opportunity to show yourself and everyone else around, what you are made of.