Tonsil Stones, BB and Other Tonsils After Tonsillectomy
Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:11 pm
Like many people here, I suffered from tonsil stones and had my tonsils removed several years ago. Unfortunately this didn't cure my bb.
However, I've been looking around and apparently tonsil stones and bacteria can form on or in ALL tonsil tissues. Therefore, if you've only had your palantine tonsils removed, you may still have stones/bacteria in your lingual tonsils and/or andenoids, which may explain why most people aren't cured by standard tonsillectomies. In addition, if you had glandular fever (mono) as a teenager, or tonsillitis a lot (I had both), this can open up crypts in all tonsil tissue, and can cause stones and bacteria to gather.
I have very lumpy lingual tonsils which grow and shrink (perhaps with the growth of stones?) and rub against my throat, and I can feel when they are large and when the lump has gone. When I rub my finger over them, they smell really cheesy. I also get sore throats under my nose (if that makes sense) and itchy ears.
I just thought this might be worth investigating, as I'd dismissed tonsil problems as a cause ever since I'd had my palantine tonsils removed. I'm going to arrange an ENT appointment to have my remaining tonsils examined.
Here's a link to a medical/dental forum were this problem has been discussed http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=323514.
I'd be interested to hear what other people think about this
However, I've been looking around and apparently tonsil stones and bacteria can form on or in ALL tonsil tissues. Therefore, if you've only had your palantine tonsils removed, you may still have stones/bacteria in your lingual tonsils and/or andenoids, which may explain why most people aren't cured by standard tonsillectomies. In addition, if you had glandular fever (mono) as a teenager, or tonsillitis a lot (I had both), this can open up crypts in all tonsil tissue, and can cause stones and bacteria to gather.
I have very lumpy lingual tonsils which grow and shrink (perhaps with the growth of stones?) and rub against my throat, and I can feel when they are large and when the lump has gone. When I rub my finger over them, they smell really cheesy. I also get sore throats under my nose (if that makes sense) and itchy ears.
I just thought this might be worth investigating, as I'd dismissed tonsil problems as a cause ever since I'd had my palantine tonsils removed. I'm going to arrange an ENT appointment to have my remaining tonsils examined.
Here's a link to a medical/dental forum were this problem has been discussed http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=323514.
I'd be interested to hear what other people think about this