I need to know if i'm a halitopobic or not
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:52 am
alright... so I dont where to begin really. Uhm. I dont know if i have bad breath or not. I constantly chew gum when i'm around people because of my intense fear that I do. No one has reacted negatively around me or told me i have a problem. 10 years ago when I was 15 a kid told me my breath stank, but i was being mean to him. I dont doubt it did though i dont even know. My dad once asked me if i was brushing my teeth when due to an odor when i was about the same age. As far as I can remember, those are the only complaints i have ever had. but now that i chew gum constantly, i guess i wouldnt get complaints? does anyones bad breath cut through gum? I didnt used to chew gum obsessively, but i remember the fear to some extent since about 8th grade when i suddenly realised i started to get an odd taste in my mouth.
I guess... flash forward, I dont remember thinking about it much or being too worried for about 5 years probably. I mean it was something always in the back of my mind i guess but i wouldnt worry about having gum if i was going to be around people. for the past 3 years i can not speak in front of people without having gum or having used some kind of mouth-minty-something-thing recently.
My mouth gets dry and i get this taste in my mouth. i do the hand lick test and the spoon on the back of the tongue test and sometimes i dont smell anything, othertimes i smell something that isnt exactly ...bad, but not good? just ...weird. just not ... uhm a smell. not offensive to me really.
so i guess i'm wondering... those of you who KNOW you have bad breath and it has been confinrmed, when you do these tests is the smell reallly bad? what does it smell like? is there another test i can do without asking someone that can let me know for sure? what do i do? how can i know for sure if this is real or not? ifeel like i'm crazy and i'm too afraid to ask anyone. i 'm too afraid to go without gum for a day and see how people react. i mean i just dont know. i dont tknow if this makes sense i just need some advice. do those of you that KNOW you have bad breath have the same mouth symptoms that i do? i'm very aware of myself to the point of anxiety and panic attacks sometimes. very low self esteem for many reasons and i wouldnt be surprised if i'm halitophoic and i wouldnt be surprised if ihad bad breath either. i just dont know. please just help.
I guess... flash forward, I dont remember thinking about it much or being too worried for about 5 years probably. I mean it was something always in the back of my mind i guess but i wouldnt worry about having gum if i was going to be around people. for the past 3 years i can not speak in front of people without having gum or having used some kind of mouth-minty-something-thing recently.
My mouth gets dry and i get this taste in my mouth. i do the hand lick test and the spoon on the back of the tongue test and sometimes i dont smell anything, othertimes i smell something that isnt exactly ...bad, but not good? just ...weird. just not ... uhm a smell. not offensive to me really.
so i guess i'm wondering... those of you who KNOW you have bad breath and it has been confinrmed, when you do these tests is the smell reallly bad? what does it smell like? is there another test i can do without asking someone that can let me know for sure? what do i do? how can i know for sure if this is real or not? ifeel like i'm crazy and i'm too afraid to ask anyone. i 'm too afraid to go without gum for a day and see how people react. i mean i just dont know. i dont tknow if this makes sense i just need some advice. do those of you that KNOW you have bad breath have the same mouth symptoms that i do? i'm very aware of myself to the point of anxiety and panic attacks sometimes. very low self esteem for many reasons and i wouldnt be surprised if i'm halitophoic and i wouldnt be surprised if ihad bad breath either. i just dont know. please just help.