Your Email Address:

First Name:

Hydrogen breath test

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
halitosisux

Hydrogen breath test

Post by halitosisux »

I would like to know whether anyone has tried the hydrogen breath test and whether any diagnoses or findings were concluded.

It has its limitations because of the different variables etc, but can potentially be a very important tool in the very limited availability of options and actual knowledge of digestive health which still exists today.

Have a read of the following:-
http://www.medicinenet.com/hydrogen_bre ... rticle.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/small_intest ... rticle.htm

It may seem like clutching at straws here but a few points to make on the subject:-

One of the main symptoms of SIBO is abdominal bloating and distention, flatulence etc. One of the reasons for this is that undigested sugars and carbohydrates (possibly due to SIBO itself but not necessarily) reach the colon, because they are not digested and absorbed in the small intestine, large amounts of gas and substances are formed in the colon. I've read so many times that low carb diets instantly and dramatically reduce flatulence and distention - so could this simply be the reason why?

Here is a quote which makes you think:-
"There are ways other than abnormal digestion of dietary sugars by which the bacteria can cause problems. Unlike in the colon, the number of hydrogen-producing, anaerobic bacteria in the small intestine is small. If, however, large numbers of hydrogen-producing bacteria move into the small intestine from the colon, a condition called bacterial overgrowth of the small bowel, the bacteria may digest the sugars and carbohydrates before the small bowel has had a chance to digest and absorb them and produce large amounts of hydrogen." In other words the bacteria are in such quantity, in areas that they shouldnt be, that they are no longer beneficial to digestion, similar to the presense of parasitic infestation.

Anyone underweight or feeling like they are suffering with malabsorption/malnutrition?

carrie
Total Newbie

Post by carrie »

I know people who are allergic to gluten have problems with absorption. Their body doesn't process it and it causes lots of issues both physically and emotionally. I'd be interested to see how similar this is to the digestive problems of a gluten intolerant person.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

I would bet that a lot of people probably have some sort of malabsorption or intolerance, and they don't know it.

In the states the tests are not difficult to get, I really suggest anyone try if they haven't already.

I did the tests and received answers that made a lot of sense. Dairy (lactose), wheat (fructans), sugars (fructose), are all things that I had confirmed to be allergic to after the hydrogen tests. The list of foods that are troublesome is large, and even if you're dieting, you may be ingesting things you shouldn't.

When I reviewed all the symptoms relative to certain foods, it answered a lot of questions, if nothing else, it forces me to be extra careful about foods that I'm not preparing myself. Basically, I have to eat everything plain.

Closest thing I've ever had to an answer thru all of this. Strongly suggest the breath test, as well as a stomach emptying study.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Thanx for the replies there.
Elliott, have you been investigated for SIBO or had any treatment targeted toward this?
I recall that you've had extensive tests performed on your digestive system over the years - have you by any chance ever been tested for hypochlorhydria?
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Nah, the docs at that point were tired of testing me, it was pretty much "we've done all we can do" as usual.

Then I ran out of insurance! yay!

I think it's pretty fair to say I have SIBO as a result of intolerances. I haven't heard of hypochlorhydria. It's unfortunate that doctors, don't suggest ALL possible tests to rule out all questions, but they get tired of trying to solve something, where we both (me and doc) know there isn't a cure yet. After 5 separate tests in a month, it's understandable that they'd feel helpless.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

it'd be great if someone on this forum could get tested for hypochlorhydria.
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

I've never been tested, but I had a hair analysis done and I had low Potassium and this causes low stomach acid. I eat plenty of potassium, but I think my body is mnot assimilating it. I now take apple cider vinegar with water before my meals or HCL pills with a heavy protein meal. The acid reflux is gone for the most part. Also, I fololw the Eat Right For Your Blood Type diet for AB blood type - ABs are prone to having low acid in their stomachs - I wonder how many of us are ABs???

BB is still around, but lately I have been cheating on the diet with chocolate and pasta and alcohol.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Elliott, its incredible to think that having tried so many other diagnostic tests on you that this hasnt been tested for. I know that it used to be difficult and unreliable to test for, but that isnt the case today. Do you get esophegal reflux? If so, is it acidic?

SIBO can develop from hypochlorhydria. I've yet to hear of anyone on here trying out measures against hypochlorhydria whilst taking the flagyl/fluco combination. Could be a wasted opportunity I think.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic