Page 1 of 1

Anyone tried a low protein diet?

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:51 pm
by Ash
Since peptides and amino acids are metabolised to form the volatile sulphur compounds and volatile fatty acids that cause the majority of the bad breath smell, and dietary protein levels are strongly correlated with salivary peptide levels, assuming peptide levels are, or can, become a limiting factor in odour production, then reducing dietary protein levels to a bare minimum will reduce bad breath. Increasing glucose/sucrose intake could also decrease VSC and VFA production because of preferential carbohydrate metabolism over peptide metabolism. So a low protein diet, (almost certainly vegan) should reduce bad breath levels, has anyone tried this approach yet?

I am in the process of modifying my diet currently but without gas chromatography services it is difficult to monitor VSC or VFA compounds.

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:29 am
by mitc
As Protein from food and PND feed bad breath you should avoid them. As a bacterial researcher. In response to the volume of emails I receive from people desperate to get rid of their Halitosis I've directed them to Articlesbase I've created this series of articles to help people understand and control their bad breath.