Page 1 of 2
Chewing gum coating
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:03 am
by Hooch
Hi guys,
whenever I chew gum...which is pretty much whenever I am around fellow humans...I notice it leaves a white coating on my tongue...why is this? Could this be making the problem worse?

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:06 am
by trouble
is it a permanent coating? or is the gum white and maybe just colours your tongue?
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:36 am
by KeepTrying09
Are you chewing sugar free gum?
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:48 pm
by Hooch
yeah def sugar free...and no the coatings not permanent....it will come off - other people don't have this prob though...and I'd heard that chewing gum sometimes makes things worse and I rely on it...
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:20 pm
by chiki89
From what I've read..chewing too much gum can make your mouth dry ( because it overworks the salivary glands ) & allows bacteria to grow ..
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:03 pm
by halitosisux
Didnt aydinmur say something about a constituent of chewing gum that bacteria love to break down?
Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:12 am
by Hooch
maybe I should stop but I feel a little naked without it...if you know what I mean...and the dentist did say that the muscles at the back of my jaw were slightly over developed which made me laugh
What can I use instead...mints? Suck on a tube of toothpaste?

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:33 am
by halitosisux
lol I know exactly what you mean about feeling naked without something in your mouth. I think it helps with the bad taste and increases saliva levels, whether its chewing gum or mints or just eating in general, and all of these help to make you feel as though your BB is reduced. Obviously this isnt the case for every type of BB. One thing I sometimes used to carry around with me for emergencies was a tube of toothpaste containing triclosan. I'd just put a glob in my mouth and rinse it around and it'd give me an hour or so of confidence
Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:21 pm
by br
halitosisux wrote:lol One thing I sometimes used to carry around with me for emergencies was a tube of toothpaste containing triclosan. I'd just put a glob in my mouth and rinse it around and it'd give me an hour or so of confidence
Please tell the name of the toothpaste you used and what precisely does triclosan do?
Thanks
Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:44 pm
by trouble
wikipedia:
Triclosan is an antibacterial and antifungal agent.
just look there for brand-names too. the one i use is colgate total. it seems to be unhealthy, but it's the toothpaste that works best for me (tried
everything from therabreath to salt

).
Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:55 pm
by halitosisux
Yes, the nice thing about triclosan is that its chemical effect on bacteria lingers so you notice your breath doesnt get bad as quickly as it otherwise would do. Its similar to the effectiveness of zinc.
Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:33 pm
by trouble

very irritating. because thats the only toothpaste i "trust" a little longer...
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:41 am
by trouble
hi!
i found this two studies, the first one's not so uptodate...

but it confirms the positive effect of triclosan + a copolymer.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10825862
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14692211
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:06 pm
by trouble
dear aydinmur, thanks for answering.
i use zinc-containing toothpaste too, but my impression is that it doesnt work half as good... the toothpaste i use with zinc contains:
Aqua, Hydrated Silica, Sorbitol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cellulose Gum, Alumina, Aroma, Sodium Fluoride, Zinc Chloride, Sodium Saccharin, Limonene, C177891.
is zinc chloride maybe not the best ingredient?
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:23 pm
by br
I have seen some toothpastes with zinc but they also have most of the ingredients you state above. What I would like to know is if things like lauryl sulphate and flouride are good. I have read conflicting reports about the usefulness of the latter. Please let me have your views.
Thanks