Page 1 of 2

Colgate total

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:03 pm
by stinky
I have been using colgate total for the past 3 weeks on my teeth and tongue. It has not cured my bb but it has reduced it, and in particular the coating on my tongue is greatly reduced. It contains triclosan.

Triclosan is a broad-spectrum non-ionic antibacterial with activity against both aerobic and anaerobicgram-positive and gram-negative microbes.

You can get this in mouthwash but I have not tried it.

However there are concerns about triclosan such as toxicity and resistance.

But as I say it has reduced my bb.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:10 am
by coeric
this is what i use. by far the best otc toothpaste.

try stopping it...

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:48 am
by LJ
I used it when it first came out several years ago. I was excited about the slickness I felt on my teeth; and how it brought down the coating on my tongue.
However, my breath was not good; and continued to get worse over time. Finally, I stopped it and my friend told me I smelled like rotting meat and garbage.
It took months for my mouth to taste right and smell normally bad.
If you both use this product; do you both experience relief that can be verified by more than one other person?
If so, then you don't have chronic haltisosis and you don't need to be here on these sites. Laura

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:29 am
by oneway
I have to agree on this. Colgate total has been helping my breath these past few months. I no longer use any mouthwash. The last one I used was Dently PH and it gave me unbelievably weird stinky breath. Nowadays, I am just brushing throughly, brushing my toungue with a clean brush and then scraping all the stuff off my toungue. I then hawk to get any remaining gunk in the throat area to the back of my toungue and scrape somemore.

This has helped me a lot.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:39 am
by oneway
I have to add though, that speiser's triclosan mouthwash gave me very stinky breath. Could be the Zinc in it. Zinc does not work for me at all. Smartmouth or anything with Zinc gives me horrendous breath. I just read a post where it helps other people. I guess each of our bodies are different and it helps to report all our findings here.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:15 pm
by stinky
Hello Laura.

I definately have chronic halitosis.

I have tried many products such as therabreath, profresh, tri-oral, bliss etc. While the science behind these products appears sound they have little or no effect on my bb.

The only relief I have ever got from my bb has been from anti-bacterial remedies and chemicals. However this has only been temporary relief.
I use Corsodyl Mouthwash which is a chlorhexidine gluconate. This gives me 2-4 hours relief.
I have been using the colgate total with past 3 weeks which contains triclosan which is also an antibacterial. It has reduced my bb and tongue coating but not cured it.

These are the only things I have got relief from. However as I said in my original post it does not cure it but it has reduced it. The problem with these antibacterials is that they only have only temporary effectiveness. The bad breath causing bacteria always comes back.

You said you had initial success with it, as I have only been using it for 3 weeks this success may also wear off I dont know.

Just because someone gets temporary releif from something dosent mean they dont have chronic bad breath.

But as I said it has helped me so far, and I will continue using it.

temporary relief

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:53 pm
by LJ
I understand that sometimes it seems as though something is working; and I am questioning some of you as to your breath; why? because if you don't have the dynamic chronic kind; you will find releif somewhere, somehow.
But you don't need to be floating around sites of the desperate. I understand that some of us are really in it; believe me, I read and know who you are.
However, there are too many I'm hearing about that are getting relief from things that do not relieve the mouths of the entrenched halitosians.
This is I say to not be mean; but to get those to move on and not focus on a solvable problem.
Here's the thing: I've been over at Breathhelp4u for a couple years now; and we have had people come thru who found out that they didn't even have bad breath. We insisted they have others check their breath; or these were people who responded to yogurt or some ****ing liver flushing. And it's almost impossible not to feel mad at these people; because I wish this was in my head too; or that I'm just oversensitive.
So, if I seem extreme on the subject; I've seen it too often now that people are literally torturing themselves; Even Tyra Banks made a point of saying everyone is self conscious about their breath. So, what's your true level? Not licking your ****ing arm or dog or an old biscuit; who has come right out and told you you ****ing stink of____or ____or____.
Has someone said, hey the colgate total makes you smell sweet like ****ing roses? Or, like me, little by little people distanced themselves, and finally, a good friend spelled it out for me. (it's nice to be told you smell of rotting meat and garbage) I knew it was bad, I guess I just kept hoping. Laura

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:22 pm
by stinky
It would give me the greatest pleasure in the world to come on this site and say that ive found a cure for bb and cured my bb problem but I cant say that and havent said that.

The colgate total dosent make me smell sweet like ****ing roses. It has reduced the coating on my tongue and my bb temporary. It is an improvement for me.

The old Lavoris mouthwash gave relief to some people. I dont know but I presume this was due to its anti bacterial properties aswell.

Ive had this condition for 10 years. It has affected me in many ways, I would say it has even altered my personality. I can share sob stories with the best of em but thats not why im here.

who told you what...

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:34 pm
by LJ
Stinky:
I'm not trying to make you mad or anything like that; but tell me, who tells you about your breath?
How do you know the colgate total is helping you?
A pink tongue means absolutely nothing; do people on this site understand that? That is not evidence of anything other than you have less build up.
If our chronic halitosis came from our tongues only; which we know is practically an old wive's tale; it may make some people's mouths a bit fetid; but it sure as hell isn't representative of the chronic halitosis.
I've been told I smell like shit when I had the cutest, pinkest tongue in town.
So, what I'm getting at, and the reason I'm posting so much; is let's get real here; let's find some reality to our situations.
Who's who. Who has the chronic? who has the transient? who is crazy? who is hypersensitive?
I don't want this great site Jimi put up to become like the ****ing cure zone. That place is a zoo awash in drama, marketing, and people obsessed with their asses.
So, if you post, gee, I use colgate total and my tongue is pink; that's all I know; and it makes me feel better to have a pink tongue; whether it's helping my breath I don't know or care; I just want to feel like I'm doing something. (There's ****ing honesty. And I would say to you, "cool") Laura

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:50 pm
by noptical
Laura, a pink tongue means nothing? Have you ever smelled that white gunk from the back of the tongue? It smells like SHIT

so the point then is that it's more than the tongue

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:37 pm
by LJ
It's more than the tongue or you would be reaping the benefits of this fleshy pink cleanliness. But you're not. I'm not; we won't be fresh because we can see our tongue again.
I have a clean tongue everyday; you know what I use on it? nothing. I just use the tung brush and away goes the coating. Twice a day; everyday for years and years.
Would it be worse, might be a better question; and yes would be the answer. Why? because things get caught in that coating; foods; odors from types of foods; and that coating can attract all kinds of things. But all it will do is accentuate your current odor; make it a little louder.
But it is not the predominant sign of fresh breath. I'll give you a zillion examples; oh sorry, let me narrow it down to a few. Start looking at people's tongues that have good breath. Notice that many of them have a coating; a white surface; but no bad breath.
Why is that?
I've seen people with a tongue coated like it was painted with Dutchboy; yellow teeth; plaque around the edges of the teeth; but ****ing A, fresher breath than I could only hope for.
Let me end by saying one night years ago I was out on a date; We left an aromatic dinner and went outside to take a walk. A bum walked up to us. An unshaven, alcohol in his hand, washed in the last century maybe; and when he opened up his mouth to ask me for money; why he had delightful breath. Better than mine. That was it for me.
I knew then that this problem is more than just taking care of the teeth and tongue.
so, ask somebody a stranger, someone you trust, whoever, what do I smell like? (it's best to ask more than one or two; people lie about this all the time; I've had to actually tell people they are lying because I know I have it; and then "they" finally admit it.)
So, a clean tongue is nice to show; but the breath behind it makes it blow. Laura

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:59 pm
by stinky
Hey Laura,

Dont worry ur not making me mad. Anybody who makes a claim on here should b questioned. I can see where ur coming from up to a point.

But ur asking me to prove something to you which you know I cant.

You and me and most people here know there is no cure for chronic bb. Until the cure comes all we can do is manage our bb as best as we can. Nothing has worked for me except for anti bacterials and these only provide temporary relief. Colgate totals anti bacterial has helped me to manage my bb better but as iv said it is not cured only improved. Until a cure comes all we can do is manage our condition as best we can.

As for the cause of chronic bb I believe its to do with the oral flora.I believe my oral flora was messed up years ago after taking penicillin after which I got chronic bb. From articles iv read the oral flora seems hugely complex and a lot is still not known. However there are bacteria/flora which are found exclusively on the tongue and no where else in the mouth and vice versa. I believe my bb has to do with the bacteria/flora associated with my tongue, as this seems to b the main source for me.

Re: so the point then is that it's more than the tongue

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:35 am
by austuser
LJ wrote:. Start looking at people's tongues that have good breath. Notice that many of them have a coating; a white surface; but no bad breath.
Why is that?
I've seen people with a tongue coated like it was painted with Dutchboy; yellow teeth; plaque around the edges of the teeth; but ****ing A, fresher breath than I could only hope for.
I agree with you on this. I have been recently checking my friends who have good breath for a coating on their tongues. Almost all of them have a white coating, someties yellow. So this is not a sign of halitosis of the severe, chronic kind, and I think that my own breath is probably just the transient kind. I do have relief from simple tongue cleaning.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:24 pm
by noptical
Laura....
So because your friend does have a white coating but no bad breath it means its the same for everyone...
My breath is 10x better in the morning right after I brush my teeth and then use TUNG brush. I ask you again, have you EVER smelled how that white gunk stinks? IT STINKS LIKE SHIT! Definitely its not 100% of the problem but a big part of my bb comes from there.
I think I posted that 1000 in the forum but people seem to ignore this: THE CAUSE OF BAD BREATH IS NOT THE SAME FOR EVERYONE!!!

Some people have sinus problems that makes their breath stink, some have dry mouth, some have diabetes ALL THOSE ARE DIFFERENT CAUSES TO THE SAME PROBLEM.
The smell varies, but its still bad breath. So, if you think that white coating on the tongue doesnt cause you bad breath, then ok, it might be the truth in your case BUT ITS NOT THE SAME FOR EVERYONE

ALSO maybe people DO really have a white coating on their tongues BUT ITS NOT THE COLOR THAT CAUSES THE BAD BREATH BUT THAT SALT-LIKE WHITE SHIT THATS ON THE SURFACE THAT ALSO SMELLS LIKE SHIT

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:51 am
by Bluerain
For a while I thought colgate total cured me. I tried the lick test after brushing with it and there wasn't a smell. I even had the nerve to talk and laugh directly at my friends but soon found out it didn't work from their reactoins.

Drinking tons and tons of water, gargling or rinsing with water every once in a while, constantly chewing gum, and coughing up post nasal drip helps me lessen the smell.