Page 1 of 1

i got something to share

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:07 am
by realbad
a year ago i had a endoscopy...

and the doctors said i have a J shaped stomach...i guess that kinda delays the empyting of the stomach...maybe thats the reason why...

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:35 am
by thomasthomas
Interesting, why don't you post what you found about the J shaped stomach?
It would be didactic for us.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:42 am
by john
next week i will gett a gatroscopy.
i will ask the doctor if he can make some pictures or a video so i can post it here.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:36 pm
by Phantasist
Realbad,
Don't pay attention to the doctor. Doctors say a lot of stupid things. First of all, if doctors could cure bad breath, there wouldn't be any. And secondly, isn't everyone's stomach "J" shaped? Would you expect a stomach to be shaped like a "K" or an "M"???

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 pm
by halitosisux
lol, true phantasist. And is there any evidence that has connected anyone's J-shaped stomach to BB? Looking at diagrams of the stomach too, its usually shown as being J-shaped.

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:53 am
by realbad
YES i understand that the stomach is J shaped...u have to understand that the stomach is connected to the small intestine which drains out the stomach mine cant because it is J shaped. therefore food can be in my stomach rotting for a long time....

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:58 am
by TeamZissou
During an upper GI for a different issue the doctor said that I also have delayed gastric emptying. Wouldn't be surprised if that played some role.

I doubt the smell actually comes from food "rotting" in your stomach though. The pH in the stomach is very low because of all the acid. I don't think there's much bacterial breakdown of food in the stomach itself.

But I do think it could be a contributor to things like reflux, and just general abnormalities in digestion in general. Those things could probably contribute to BB.

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:59 am
by realbad
yes exactly so...how did the doctor treat ur delayed stomach emptying problem? any medications? do u still have bad breath?

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:53 pm
by TeamZissou
There aren't really a ton of treatments for it I don't think. You can make changes to your diet, like eating smaller meals and drinking more water while eating, etc. I also tried a medication called Reglan which is supposed to help with stomach function. I had to stop it after a week though, because it made me very fatigued, which is a side effect in some people.

So yeah, I still have the problem as far as I know, and I still have BB.

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:11 am
by realbad
so while you were on reglan....did u notice any changes in your breath?

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:22 am
by TeamZissou
My mouth did feel cleaner and I felt less symptoms of reflux, but it could have been in my head, who knows.

I don't think I was on it long enough to know the full impacts though.