Page 1 of 4
Is this psychological?
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:30 am
by bad day1
I'm really frustrated and baffled by this BB. I just had a checkup with a new GP and she swore she could not smell anything. We were talking inside her room for about half an hour and she never smelled anything. She even turned the aircon off and checked if she'll be able to smell then. Still nothing.
And then when I went to work, the cab driver said I had the bad smell, people queuing for coffee reacted when I bought something, people at the elevator had even more obvious reactions.
I'm really troubled by this. Why do my wife, my sister, our babysitter, the ENT, the GPs, and a couple of dentists NOT smell my bb?
I'm wondering if being self-conscious about the bb causes some mild panic attack that dries up something inside the body (maybe the throat, mouth and sinus cavities?) that triggers the bb. I just notice that when I'm around people whom I'm comfortable with, or whom I don't care if they smell my bb, then I don't actually exhibit the bb. But when I'm with colleagues or people inside the bus or the train, people whom I feel very conscious about the bb, then here comes the terrible smell.
I actually don't think psychiatric help will cure my bb 100%, but I'm wondering if I can just teach the brain to behave as it does when I am around people I'm comfortable with, then perhaps my bb won't be that terrible when I'm with the rest of the people out there.
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:10 am
by terranpatriot
hey badday, I've pondered about the same things as well. I'd suggest staying away from too much caffeine also because it can cause you to get more stressed and anxious around people and it dries out the mouth for sure...and who knows what it does to the stomach. it can make you obsess over your bb and promote it through the physiological effects of the stress/obsession
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:34 am
by bad day1
Hi terran. Thanks a lot for the info. I'm really wondering what chemical reactions are taking place inside my body when I feel anxiety and stress when in company of other people. Maybe excretion of too much adrenalin that dries out something? I wonder if taking anti anxiety drugs can help lower my stress levels and lower the bb strength in the process.
This bb is really driving me into so much depression and desperation. Specially with this nasal bb that afflicted me just a few days ago.
By the way, I was actually buying something else at the coffee shop. I also don't drink coffee anymore.
Doctors and bad breath
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:28 am
by hopefulness
Hi, it’s best for Doctors, friends and family to lie to you as they don't have a solution to your bad breath. To tell you your breath smells awful will have harmful effect on your confidence and sadly in some cases thoughts of s*****e.
Now some will say tell the truth even when the truth in deeply painful.
But will they stay around for the fallout from their statement?
Try this, always have a full water bottle with you and sip from it each time you know you will be close to people. Sip from the bottle all day and reful it often. Get Plenty Of Sleep!
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:26 am
by bad day1
Hi hope, Thanks for the reply.
But I'm 100% sure my sister and my wife are not lying when they say they can't smell anything. My sister is a psychologist so she is aware that being subjective and considering feelings do not have a place in discussions of a medical condition. And my wife, she reads this forum so she knows the distress people with bb are suffering from and finds no point in pretending everything is ok. She also wants to find the cure.
Also, I'm not sure if you have bb but sleep and a bottle of water would not cure chronic halitosis.
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:42 pm
by meowkity1
I agree with hopefulness. My sister and mom say they dont smell it but have sneezing attacks when Im around and rub severly.
DOctors will not be honest about it. If they say yes I smel something. They may be afraid you will ask many questions and ask what they smell. They dont want to be sniffing our mouths for us so they say they cannot smell it. I dont believe it.
If my doc didnt smell why would she send me to ENT
If my ENT didnt smell why woul he offer tonsilectomy?
Has anyone doctor been honest about it? all of them are not suffering from loss of smell.
DOnt believe your family.
MAtter of fact my sister usd to deny all the time uptil this summer. SHe said she wants to help me becasue shes 21 now and wants us to hang out. SHes more open to my quetions now and seems to be interested because shes probably wondering what is making here sneeze all the time. I told hr its my breath and she finally gets it. They lie to spare our feelings but its not helpful
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:13 pm
by stressedout
If my doc didnt smell why would she send me to ENT
If my ENT didnt smell why woul he offer tonsilectomy?
because they want your money meowkity1, didnt you think of that? because if you tell them you think there is something wrong with you, many wont deny it and will send you to their doctor of choice (commissions involved?) you want to be sick, they want your money!
DOnt believe your family
WRONG ADVICE. this advice can send a person spiralling into mental disorders
MAtter of fact my sister usd to deny all the time uptil this summer. SHe said she wants to help me becasue shes 21 now and wants us to hang out. SHes more open to my quetions now and seems to be interested because shes probably wondering what is making here sneeze all the time. I told hr its my breath and she finally gets it. They lie to spare our feelings but its not helpful
who would be sneezing when smelling BB? i know i dont! and there is something very wrong when you tell your sister that she sneezes because of your breath, you give her wrong ideas! do you sneeze when someone's breath stinks? its not logical. people sneeze cause of many reasons, people suffer from allergies, many people! they dont even know it. why attribute every single move a person does to your breath!? doesnt it sound too extreme? i so wish i could meet you meowkity1, then you would know FOR SURE if you have BB or not, but would you believe that's the question?
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:45 pm
by OneDay111
I sure can smell bad breath from my mouth. Actually smell it, but I never get reactions. If I lick my wrist I smell it, but I never get reactions. I'm really confused. I dont think I have bad breath, can you be soo delusional you actually smell something which doesn't exist?
Intresting read.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 204AA1DBL1
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:56 pm
by stressedout
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantosmia
our mind can convince us of anything, is a constant struggle.
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:23 pm
by halitosisux
OD has anyone ever actually told you that you have BB?
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:45 pm
by ihatethebus
OD .. i thot the main thing that bothers/bothered hundred(now 99%) of the people on this site is the disgusted looks on peoples faces and quick handmovements to rub their nose jus after openng trap or exhaling.
If you dont get reactions...then you are on the wroong forum..and dont mistake this for anything else bad good new...simple bb if no one ca smell you you dont have bb...
if youre hundred percent sure you dont get any reactions then i can drop you a link or two.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 001523.htm
you could have a brain tumor...

it at times comes packaged with phantom smells.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:31 pm
by meowkity1
stRESEDOUT- iM STICKING WITH DONT TELL YOUR FAMILY. moSTLY EVERYONE ON HERE HAS FAMILY THAT DENYS I EXCEPT jIMIS MEAN MOTHER. yOUR RIGHT MY SISTER DOES HAVE ALLERGIES, BUT WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD SHE HAVE AN ATTACK AS SOON AS ENTERING MY PRESENCE.
I mentioned on a nother thread yesterday that my sister finally started admiting it this summer, only becuase shes 21 now and wants me to hang out with her. SO she finally admited ait and said I can count on her to let me know how I am.
I explained to her how people seem to be alergic to me and she finaly gets it
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:32 pm
by meowkity1
I mean Im sticking with dont trust your ffamily
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:33 pm
by stressedout
hi meowkity1
so nowadays when your sister admits, what does she say, does she says you have BB or she says that she simply sneezes around you? the latter is not so bad.
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:40 pm
by OneDay111
halitosisux wrote:OD has anyone ever actually told you that you have BB?
People actually coming out and telling me I stink: Once in a blue moon
Reactions: once or twice a week, I always chew gum. I cant survive a day without it.
However it's not like I always smell my breath when I lick my wrist. Maybe about 4 hours after brushing. Maybe I do have this condition because once I licked my wrist after about 3 hours and it was odour free, then I did it constantly for 15 minutes and it began to stink.
ihatethebus wrote:
If you dont get reactions...then you are on the wroong forum..and dont mistake this for anything else bad good new...simple bb if no one ca smell you you dont have bb...
I think I'm on the right forum thank you.