Page 1 of 1

Size of tongue.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:51 pm
by OneDay111
I dont know about you but I have a massive massive toungue. I could potentially pick my nose with my tounge if I tried.

Well larger tounge = larger surface area for bacteria.

I dont know wether there is a correlation between bad breath and toungue size.

Is your toungue big?

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:58 pm
by ihatethebus
Just for your survey. entry number 1
height 6'2
is my tongue big=no

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:36 pm
by meowkity1
I was thknking this the other day. MInes is very large and fat and thibck

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:32 am
by Garnesh32
small tongue. bumps at back and bright white

Re: Size of tongue.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:08 pm
by brightonguy
OneDay111 wrote: I dont know wether there is a correlation between bad breath and toungue size.
.... this seems rationale.... yeah my tongue's big. I reckon the geography of your tongue is just as (if not more) important e.g. is it grooved etc.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:56 pm
by hopelessone
regardless of tongue size...i didn't ALWAYS have bb......so does tongue size have anything to do with it?

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:07 pm
by brightonguy
hopelessone wrote:regardless of tongue size...i didn't ALWAYS have bb......so does tongue size have anything to do with it?
Possibly, yes. The size of your tongue won't necessarily *cause* your BB but once you've got it it could be worse bcause of your bigger tongue and the ensuant larger surface area... just like your tonsils can be smellier if they're larger and more cryptic.

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:38 am
by mike987
I don't buy it..

Sure, a larger tongue equals more surface area, more tongue hairs, etc...


But let me draw a comparison.. Would you expect someone with a larger body frame to stink simply because he has bigger armpits than someone else? Yeah, maybe his pits could be home to more bacteria, but what's the difference between a Million Bacteria and 1.5 million bacteria?

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:57 pm
by OneDay111
mike987 wrote:I don't buy it..

Sure, a larger tongue equals more surface area, more tongue hairs, etc...


But let me draw a comparison.. Would you expect someone with a larger body frame to stink simply because he has bigger armpits than someone else? Yeah, maybe his pits could be home to more bacteria, but what's the difference between a Million Bacteria and 1.5 million bacteria?
Yeh me neither, Im just throwing an idea out there.

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:48 pm
by mike987
Your efforts are appreciated. The cause, whatever it may be for each of us, is probably about as simple as the thought you proposed.

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:44 pm
by brightonguy
mike987 wrote:what's the difference between a Million Bacteria and 1.5 million bacteria?
50% more smell!!

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:17 pm
by halitosisux
Yes but if the million bacteria arent producing much smell, then the extra smell from the half million is still going to equate to not much smell.

I really dont think tongue size has anything to do with it. But geographical characteristics between different tongues may do, such as the difference in total anaerobic area from one person to another relating to the area where anaerobic bacteria can hide between the tongue papillae.

I dont know if tongue dorsum area exposed to PND/throat mucus could be a factor, such as where the part where the roof of the mouth/uvula ends up covering the tongue at the back. Could try purposely holding your tongues further forward in your mouth for a few hours to see if there's any difference compared to if you dont.

Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:57 am
by JoseJavier
"Geographic tongue simply means a tongue that has lots of grooves and fissures in it. These grooves and fissures make an excellent breeding ground for the anaerobic bacteria that cause bad breath and a white tongue."

This is more important factor than actual size of the tongue i think

Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:19 pm
by mike987
Still, I think tongue size is negligible as far as chronic BB goes. Even recurring mild BB I highly doubt would be caused by tongue size.