They understand, but seem unwilling to help
Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:37 am
I saw a program on TV about a research company that had developed a device that could detect if someone had tuberculosis from their breath.
I thought they might have some core competencies, which they could extend to do some research on people like us, so I sent them the following email:
'Hi,
I was watching the BBC news today and saw the piece on Rapid Biosensor Systems and the work you have done in developing the TB Breathalyser.
On visiting your website, I noticed that this was your first product.
I am writing to suggest a product which I think you should consider either immediately or in the near future (preferably the former).
The reason why I am writing is that I have a problem with halitosis, and have come across several people over the web who have this problem.
However, there is not enough research into this area in terms of finding a cure for this terribly dilapidating and confidence eroding situation, and the medical profession does not appear to have a solution for chronic sufferers.
Most of the people I have been in touch with (including myself) have been to dentists, ENT specialists e.t.c. for several appointments, and we are no where closer to a resolution, and the current methods of even measuring the issue (halimeters) are not accurate from what I hear.
I was wondering if your company would be willing to look into the idea of doing some research to help either detect, or cure/reduce the effects of this issue.
I would be willing to put you in touch with others who I am sure would wholly support any research you may be willing to do.
I hope to hear from you soon
Kind regards'
They have sent me the following reply:
Dear Mr (edit) Haligone,
May I thank you for the interest you have shown in visiting our web site, and not least for taking the time to contact our Technical Director (she is a chemical physicist) about your idea.
To say that I sympathise with the sufferers from this condition, is putting it mildly. Regrettably, many of my colleagues tend to either treat this condition as "something that will go away with time" or just another example of "that is life, live with it."
I cannot and do not agree with this attitude as I am only too well aware of the personal and psychological damage such a so-called 'simple condition' can cause.
To find the individual cause however, is not simple. You yourself have stated that you have visited many practitioners with it would seem, little success. This too, I can understand as for me the causal factors range from some complex and deep seated fungal infestations, to a case of bad teeth and anywhere in between, and you can also sit the cause anywhere in the middle of that vast list of potential culprits.
In general, I would look for the simple answer first such a diet and the type of foodstuff consumed. A diet of spicy, shall I say Indian type foods may not agree with the person consuming them, or could set up a gastric imbalance that results in smell and/or taste, that affects the person and those around them.
It might be cavities in the teeth that are literally rotting, lesions in the upper throat, sinus exudate; and so on.
The list is huge, but I urge you not to accept the unfortunately expected "take this and see me in two weeks if it does not get better" attitude, but to continue to return to the GP you have and be gently forceful by insisting that it will have a cause and it WILL be treatable, given sufficient time and attention by our wonderful NHS (lol) Do you have BUPA?
Again my sincere thanks for your interest and I hope that the content of this email will assist you. I am sure you will understand that I absolutely can not, and will not comment on a personal case basis, but wish you every success in the future.
Best wishes,'
End of email reply
From the reply it appears that for once this is someone who actually understands a bit more about halitosis than the average doctor/dentist/scientist, but alas, there does not appear to be any suggestion of help on the way.
I am guessing them saying they are 'chemical physicists' implies they would know nothing about halitosis?
oh well, at least I tried!![/b]
I thought they might have some core competencies, which they could extend to do some research on people like us, so I sent them the following email:
'Hi,
I was watching the BBC news today and saw the piece on Rapid Biosensor Systems and the work you have done in developing the TB Breathalyser.
On visiting your website, I noticed that this was your first product.
I am writing to suggest a product which I think you should consider either immediately or in the near future (preferably the former).
The reason why I am writing is that I have a problem with halitosis, and have come across several people over the web who have this problem.
However, there is not enough research into this area in terms of finding a cure for this terribly dilapidating and confidence eroding situation, and the medical profession does not appear to have a solution for chronic sufferers.
Most of the people I have been in touch with (including myself) have been to dentists, ENT specialists e.t.c. for several appointments, and we are no where closer to a resolution, and the current methods of even measuring the issue (halimeters) are not accurate from what I hear.
I was wondering if your company would be willing to look into the idea of doing some research to help either detect, or cure/reduce the effects of this issue.
I would be willing to put you in touch with others who I am sure would wholly support any research you may be willing to do.
I hope to hear from you soon
Kind regards'
They have sent me the following reply:
Dear Mr (edit) Haligone,
May I thank you for the interest you have shown in visiting our web site, and not least for taking the time to contact our Technical Director (she is a chemical physicist) about your idea.
To say that I sympathise with the sufferers from this condition, is putting it mildly. Regrettably, many of my colleagues tend to either treat this condition as "something that will go away with time" or just another example of "that is life, live with it."
I cannot and do not agree with this attitude as I am only too well aware of the personal and psychological damage such a so-called 'simple condition' can cause.
To find the individual cause however, is not simple. You yourself have stated that you have visited many practitioners with it would seem, little success. This too, I can understand as for me the causal factors range from some complex and deep seated fungal infestations, to a case of bad teeth and anywhere in between, and you can also sit the cause anywhere in the middle of that vast list of potential culprits.
In general, I would look for the simple answer first such a diet and the type of foodstuff consumed. A diet of spicy, shall I say Indian type foods may not agree with the person consuming them, or could set up a gastric imbalance that results in smell and/or taste, that affects the person and those around them.
It might be cavities in the teeth that are literally rotting, lesions in the upper throat, sinus exudate; and so on.
The list is huge, but I urge you not to accept the unfortunately expected "take this and see me in two weeks if it does not get better" attitude, but to continue to return to the GP you have and be gently forceful by insisting that it will have a cause and it WILL be treatable, given sufficient time and attention by our wonderful NHS (lol) Do you have BUPA?
Again my sincere thanks for your interest and I hope that the content of this email will assist you. I am sure you will understand that I absolutely can not, and will not comment on a personal case basis, but wish you every success in the future.
Best wishes,'
End of email reply
From the reply it appears that for once this is someone who actually understands a bit more about halitosis than the average doctor/dentist/scientist, but alas, there does not appear to be any suggestion of help on the way.
I am guessing them saying they are 'chemical physicists' implies they would know nothing about halitosis?
oh well, at least I tried!![/b]