Page 1 of 2

Oral probiotics

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:15 am
by iva
My theory is that it all comes to anaerobic bacterial overgrowth in the mouth which leads to halitosis; whatever the reason for that bacterial disbalance, anaerobs in the mouth is what gives us the shit breath.
What makes me so shure about that theory is the following:
- I have had my anaerobs tested ( that revealed an overgrowth of ceratin anaerobic bacteria)
- I have taken Metronidazole, which is the only thing that has given me about 10 bb-free days (of course eventually bb comes back even stronger than before).

So I think I should focus on replacing the "bad" bacteria with "good" ones and the only way to do it is by taking oral probiotics. It may sound simple and I may be wrong, but that is how I see it.

So far I have used Streptococcus Salivarius (Blis K12) and GUM Periobalance (L. reuteri) to no avail. I want to try EvoraPlus and I would really like to hear the opinions of the ppl that have used it.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:22 pm
by iva
So no one has an opinion about EvoraPlus?

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:59 am
by hope4now
I've been on EP (evora plus) for about 10 days. I take it morning and night after brushing/mouthwash. It seems to help reduce plaque, whiten the teeth and prevent bb.

I'm going to keep taking it for at least 2 months to see if the results are long lasting. I also want to see if it will help with my receding gums.

I don't have a 100% reliable way to test my breath, so I can't claim it is eliminating the bb, but I do think it has reduced it. I think it's reducing the tonsil stones too.

It would be good for people who have a reliable way to test their breath to try this product and see if it really does help with bb. It's available online and at some stores like Walgreens and Target.

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:37 pm
by iva
Hope4now,

thank u so much for sharing ur experience with me, hope it really works for u..
I did some search on this site and found a few posts about Evora, but except for meowkitty, no one has given a definitive answer - does it help or not
Phantasist, what about u,is Evora still working for u?

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:34 pm
by Phantasist
Iva,
You're supposed to dissolve these pills on your tongue twice a day for at least 30 days. It hasn't been long enough for me to give you a definitive answer. At this point I am still not sure that this will work.

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:55 pm
by iva
Obviously one cannot order EvoraPlus from Europe

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:13 pm
by hopelessone
waiting with baited breath for feedback...it takes 30 days for results?

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:51 pm
by Music Lady
Has anybody ever gotten any help from probiotics??? I remember doing a search on this site in particular and don't remember finding any body with real results.

I bought last night on my way from work a small pack of Jarrow Formulas multi-probiotics. Today people are complaining like crazy about the smell -its almost unbearable working today.

For me it always has an affect on my breath, but never for the better, so go figure...

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:49 am
by hope4now
I went on a weekend trip and forgot the evora plus. When I got back I could taste something in my throat when I yawned. Sure enough the tonsil stones were back on one side causing bb. So this stuff is not a cure, but it may help while you're taking it. It seems that while I'm taking it, the stones don't appear as quickly or frequently.

I'm also off caffeine, but still drinking decaffeinated espresso coffees with milk. That probably isn't helping the tonsil stone situation either.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:14 pm
by iva
@Music Lady

Exactly which probiotics are u taking, because I see Jarrow Formulas have 25 different probiotics?
I`m also taking probiotics which help me with my digestive system, but they do nothing for my oral bacteria.
Have u tried the Evora which is specifically an oral probiotic?

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:10 pm
by iva
Here`s how most bacteria, that are part of probiotics, act. They are not intended to fight oral anaeribic bacteria:

Bifidobacterium lactis – a friendly bacteria often found in yogurt that is known to help stimulate immune responses

Lactobacillus acidophilus – guards the health of your entire digestive tract

Bifidobacterium longum – keeps your digestive system running smoothly, and helps enhance your immune system

Bifidobacterium bifidum – helps promote a healthy balance of flora in your intestine. What's more, this organism is especially helpful for enhancing immune response

Lactobacillus casei – works with other helpful organisms, and helps to encourage the growth of other "good" bacteria

Lactobacillus plantarum – helps to ensure that the nutrients in vitamins and supplements are getting to your cells

Lactobacillus salivarius: promotes your intestinal health and helps support your oral health as well

Lactobacillus rhamnosus: assists your elimination and occasional intestinal discomfort by working to stabilize your intestinal microflora.

Lactobacillus bulgarious: works with other Lactobacillus strains to provide you a potential source of dietary antioxidants.

Lactobacillus sporogenes: helps enhance your intestinal health and provides back-up for sporadic intestinal discomfort

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:39 pm
by Haligone
Putting a note on here to follow the progress of people on Evoraplus. Phantasist, please post a reply on your progress when you feel you have been on it long enough to have a genuine result.
I like the idea of populating the mouth with helpful bacteria, rather than the alternative of taking antibiotics and killing off all bacteria in the mouth (both good and bad), and then inevitably having the bad bacteria grow back faster than the good.
Also, has anyone ever thought of the possibility of taking antibiotics to kill off all bacteria, and then try to immediately populate with good bacteria?

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:58 am
by iva
Thank you for the note, Haligone

I sent pmessages to 5 members that have been taking EvoraPlus to see what`s their progress. So far one has responded she has had no success with EvoraPlus.

I think that populating the mouth with god bacteria is the right way to eliminate bb, but I`m not sure why it doesn`t work.

Perhaps the environment is not hospitable enough for the good bacteria. Or maybe the available oral probiotics do not contain the right bacteria.That`s the question...

Antibiotics do not work for my oral bacteria, the only thing that helps is Mertonidazole. I`ve been wondering if I should combine Evora with Metronidazole first?

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:53 pm
by Haligone
My dentist gave me a course of antibiotics some time ago. Long before I found this site. I had actually gone to see him about a filling he had done for me which was hurting again.
During the course of the antibiotics, my BB went completely, however after it, it returned.
I have not used antibiotics again since then and I have read on this site that it can sometimes make the BB worse if all the good bacteria die and the bad ones remain.
From my understanding Mertonidazole is a very strong antibiotic, so you have to be careful that you will not cause a strain of bacteria in your mouth that will be immune to it from constant use. If you have been using antibiotics before, it could be that the reason they no longer work is because the bacteria in your mouth have adapted to other antibiotics.
I dont know, could someone scientific confirm whether the last paragraph above is even possible?

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:41 pm
by iva
Aydinmurat,

thank you for commenting. Is it possible that a person whose halitosis temporarily disappears after Metronidazole, may have type 1+type 2 halitosis?

What do you think about oral probiotics in this case? In your opinion, is there a chance to repopoulate the oral cavity with good bacteria?