Your Email Address:

First Name:

why does the ****ing middle third of my tongue still smell?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
danger
Master

why does the ****ing middle third of my tongue still smell?

Post by danger »

i was hopeful after getting my wisdom teeth out would finally get rid of the odour off my tongue but it is still there. the smell coming from my wisdom teeth(garbage smell) has all but gone but the middle third of my tongue still tastes bad

even when i wake up in the morning it is just the middle of the middle third( if that makes any sense) that smells( it is very bad when i wake up). and sometimes i notice like an eggy smell coming from my tongue.

the very back of my tongue, where the little bumps are, does not really have any odour, just this middle third. it is doing my head in

Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

The reason why your tongue smells is because of something that is well known: Overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria that live on the tongue. The underlying cause of that is something to be determined, but it hardly ever has anything to do with teeth.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
cool
Junior

Post by cool »

when you clean that area until its neutral (maybe with tongue scraper or chx) does it start smelling again?
how do you figure it smells?
how strong do you think it is?
how long is your wisdom tooth out now?
danger
Master

Post by danger »

cool wrote:when you clean that area until its neutral (maybe with tongue scraper or chx) does it start smelling again?
how do you figure it smells?
how strong do you think it is?
how long is your wisdom tooth out now?
i used to clean it with a tongue scraper but gave up because it made no difference, it came back after about 15 minutes. chx?
i rub the area with my finger and then smell my finger. sometimes the finger smells straight away, like in the morning, other times i have to let it dry and bit first to notice the odour. the last couple of days though i have just stuck my tongue out and let it dry and have got like an eggy taste
how strong? it varies, some parts of the day i think it is very bad, other times maybe not so bad
3 of my wisdom teeth have been out just over a year now. the other one about 7 months
cool
Junior

Post by cool »

danger wrote: chx?
i rub the area with my finger and then smell my finger. sometimes the finger smells straight away, like in the morning, other times i have to let it dry and bit first to notice the odour.
chx is like a dentists very strong antibacterial mouthwash, which is not recommended for daily use, because it might create immun bacteria.
its also available without alcohol and as a gel.
my english aint good enough to explain in detail, but google will probably explain it more understandable.

when your finger smells, what does it smell like? maybe you just answered this question in your post later but im not sure if you ment your breath generally or the smell of your tongue, when you said its real bad.
did you ever try to rub the area of your tongue with a cotton pad made to remove makeup?
to me i notice a different smell on the finger then on a cotton pad. when i let it dry its not bad but somekind of sour or maybe milky like sperm.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

cool wrote:
danger wrote: chx?
i rub the area with my finger and then smell my finger. sometimes the finger smells straight away, like in the morning, other times i have to let it dry and bit first to notice the odour.
chx is like a dentists very strong antibacterial mouthwash, which is not recommended for daily use, because it might create immun bacteria.
its also available without alcohol and as a gel.
my english aint good enough to explain in detail, but google will probably explain it more understandable.

when your finger smells, what does it smell like? maybe you just answered this question in your post later but im not sure if you ment your breath generally or the smell of your tongue, when you said its real bad.
did you ever try to rub the area of your tongue with a cotton pad made to remove makeup?
to me i notice a different smell on the finger then on a cotton pad. when i let it dry its not bad but somekind of sour or maybe milky like sperm.
i have all but given up on mouthwashes. i am sure it made my breath worse when i used it ages ago

most of them time my finger smells like the bad morning breath you usually smell on people.
when i said bad i meant the smell on my tongue. i dont know how bad my breath is to other people, i am guessing still bad. i knew my breath stunk when my wisdom teeth were in because i was told, and i was definitely getting a bad taste from that area. now i dont know whether the bad breath was from my tongue all along or from these bad wisdom teeth.

the middle third of my tongue is coated, but the thing is not all of my coating smells really bad, just right in the middle of my tongue around the area where the little triangle of bumps start
cool
Junior

Post by cool »

have you been told again that your breath does stink since you had your wisdom teeth removed?

i am not sure if not a certain kind of smell on anyones tongue is regular and does occur to non bad breath people too without affecting their breaths.
we might be too aware about any odors that we forget that a human is not a sterile area. this aint meant ignorant its just a reminder.

i found dairy based products to extend the smell on my tongue like yoghurt or cafe latte, this might be a regular process or even has to do with some Lactose intolerance, which i imagine everybody to suffer from (at least in a hardly noticable way.)

a pnd for example caused by problems with your sinus might also be a reason for the tongue to smell.

did you ever try to catch an example of the smell on your tongue from inside of your throat to somewhere the direction ehrre the tongue does start?
if you can tell that the smell is just on the middle third of your tongue as you described maybe the traditional chinese diagnostic of tongue coatings might be helpfull to dicover the source.

again on chx, its not comparable with a regular mouthwash like listerine etc. maybe i just explained it wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorhexidine#Dental

it does for example make sense to use it temporarily to fight gum bleeding. but because of its side effects its not recommended to use for a longer period of time.
i have to add that i am on the opinion that not drinking enough fluid is in correlation with tongue smell.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

cool wrote:have you been told again that your breath does stink since you had your wisdom teeth removed?

i am not sure if not a certain kind of smell on anyones tongue is regular and does occur to non bad breath people too without affecting their breaths.
we might be too aware about any odors that we forget that a human is not a sterile area. this aint meant ignorant its just a reminder.

i found dairy based products to extend the smell on my tongue like yoghurt or cafe latte, this might be a regular process or even has to do with some Lactose intolerance, which i imagine everybody to suffer from (at least in a hardly noticable way.)

a pnd for example caused by problems with your sinus might also be a reason for the tongue to smell.

did you ever try to catch an example of the smell on your tongue from inside of your throat to somewhere the direction ehrre the tongue does start?
if you can tell that the smell is just on the middle third of your tongue as you described maybe the traditional chinese diagnostic of tongue coatings might be helpfull to dicover the source.

again on chx, its not comparable with a regular mouthwash like listerine etc. maybe i just explained it wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorhexidine#Dental

it does for example make sense to use it temporarily to fight gum bleeding. but because of its side effects its not recommended to use for a longer period of time.
i have to add that i am on the opinion that not drinking enough fluid is in correlation with tongue smell.
i have not been told directly that my breath stinks since my wisdom teeth removals but i do my best not to speak in people's faces so that might be why

i have seen people on here with bad breath say that they get no odour on the tongue, so it cant be normal. i started a thread a while back asking for people to do a certain test like i do on the tongue. not one ****ing reply. so much for people helping. so i assumed that nobody got any odour from their tongue

i have thought in the past it could be PND, but i thought that would make the very back of my tongue smell, which it doesnt, so i dont think it is that

i am not sure if that mouthwash would help me. i think my gums are in good state, so my dentist said

i do notice that eating chcolate makes it a bit worse, though i did used to drink 6 pints of water a day and it didnt make much difference. i only drink 2 or 3 pints a day now

thanks for your help
cool
Junior

Post by cool »

danger wrote:
i have not been told directly that my breath stinks since my wisdom teeth removals but i do my best not to speak in people's faces so that might be why
i do this too, but i force myself from time to time to get over it to see if reactions do occur. but then on the other hand your yery obsessiv about a possible reaction that you might misinterpret the regular gestures of the one your talking with.

danger wrote: i have seen people on here with bad breath say that they get no odour on the tongue, so it cant be normal. i started a thread a while back asking for people to do a certain test like i do on the tongue. not one ****ing reply. so much for people helping. so i assumed that nobody got any odour from their tongue
i do believe that a tongue is not ment to smell complete neutral, a mouth not either. but it shouldnt smell bad i guess. if you are very aware of tongue odor then you will probably even think a slight smell is enough to say that your tongue has a bad odor. this slight smell on thge other side wont even be recognized by anybody else on their tongue simplay because they arent that focussed about it. thats just a theory btw, i might be wrong on this one.
on the other handside you say the back of your tongue does not smell...then i figure the middle third should not smell different.

danger wrote: i have thought in the past it could be PND, but i thought that would make the very back of my tongue smell, which it doesnt, so i dont think it is that
i agree.

danger wrote: i am not sure if that mouthwash would help me. i think my gums are in good state, so my dentist said
i just mentioned it because people use it too to get rid of the tongue coating temporarly. so i thought you did try that too not to cure yourself just to see how long it takes the tongue to become coated again.

danger wrote: thanks for your help
your welcome, but im really interessted in this topic so i try to help you and that might help me too in the progress.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

The reason why the bad odor is coming from the middle of your tongue is that's where the anaerobic bacteria are concentrated. That's where they usually are.

The reason why your breath odor is worse in the morning is because the saliva flow stops during sleep. Saliva contains about a dozen antibacterial components which normally keep the anaerobic bacteria in check. With less saliva during sleep, there is less antibacterial action, so the anaerobic bacteria proliferate. Naturally you can smell that in the morning when you wake up. In "normal" people this so called morning breath disappears when the normal flow of saliva is restarted.

So far, your symptoms including the coating on the tongue are exactly as expected. What we don't know is the underlying cause of this. By the way, no commercial tongue scraper does a good job. I actually use a knife. I also brush my tongue with TheraBreath toothpaste and then rinse with TheraBreath rinse. This helps quite a bit for a few hours. It is not an actual cure because the tongue coating always comes back. I don't know what the underlying cause of this problem is, but I suspect two possible areas: my saliva and my intestines.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

i am sure certain types of food makes my tongue smell worse. my tongue did not seem too bad earlier but then i had a bar of chocolate and then about 30 minutes this middle third of my tongue smelled quite bad. i also think milk makes it smell a bit worse than normal, though not as bad as chocolate

is it possible to be lactose intolerant with just this as a symptom? the only other symptom i can recall is when i had really bad stomach pain about 2 years ago. this happened twice where my stomach pain lasted about 10 minutes and then just disappeared, it has not happened since

i was tested for gluten intolerance last year because a couple of family members have it hoping this might be it but it came back negative
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Danger, that's why the mere presense of tongue odour is not a reliable way of knowing whether or not you have bad breath. Most people have some tongue odour and dont even know it, but unfortunately when someone has become aware at some point in their life that their breath smells bad, then they become conscious of things they otherwise would never have become conscious of, like the odours on their tongues. Why do you think there's so much advertising now on tooth scraping, its to make people paranoid about their breath so that they start wasting their money on things they dont need, like mouthwash.

Exactly as cool has said, no mouth is completely sterile and free of odour, Aydinmur referred to this as background odour.

Every type of odour has different characteristics that determine how far and how easily they can travel and how pungent they can seem while they are still sitting on your tongue - It just depends on what chemicals are involved and the concentrations.

If its possible for you to get someone else to smell your breath, you could try using the type of Zinc that Aydinmur has mentioned which completely gets rid of type-1 odour on the tongue. Using feedback from this you can determine whether or not your tongue odour is making your breath smell bad.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

halitosisux wrote:Danger, that's why the mere presense of tongue odour is not a reliable way of knowing whether or not you have bad breath. Most people have some tongue odour and dont even know it, but unfortunately when someone has become aware at some point in their life that their breath smells bad, then they become conscious of things they otherwise would never have become conscious of, like the odours on their tongues. Why do you think there's so much advertising now on tooth scraping, its to make people paranoid about their breath so that they start wasting their money on things they dont need, like mouthwash.

Exactly as cool has said, no mouth is completely sterile and free of odour, Aydinmur referred to this as background odour.

Every type of odour has different characteristics that determine how far and how easily they can travel and how pungent they can seem while they are still sitting on your tongue - It just depends on what chemicals are involved and the concentrations.

If its possible for you to get someone else to smell your breath, you could try using the type of Zinc that Aydinmur has mentioned which completely gets rid of type-1 odour on the tongue. Using feedback from this you can determine whether or not your tongue odour is making your breath smell bad.
i understand your point. the frustrating thing is not knowing whether i have always had these tongue odours. the first thing i did when i discovered i had bad breath was to search thoroughly on the internet and most of the time it came back to the tongue and things like tongue brushing and tongue scraping, so since then i became fixated with my tongue.

if only i discovered the wisdom teeth straight away, sorted that problem out and had not even thought about my tongue.

the only time i have read about zinc is when i bought the tung gel and tung brush which gave me a sore throat when i used it. do you know what thread it was that aydinmur talked about this? thanks
cool
Junior

Post by cool »

yes thats how the internet does work.
if you search for tongue and coating or tongue and smelling youll end up on 2 mio sides that say : this does mean bb without any differentiation.

to avoid these we should be very carefull about what we write about this topic, because acording to google a tongue with a odor is automatically bad breath which im sure is not right in every case as halitosux just said.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

after having a quick search through some of aydinmur's posts i can only assume that this tongue odour is type 1. and is because of the way my tongue is structured. my tongue is smooth apart from the very middle of my tongue where this odour comes from, where there are like crevices on my tongue

i am not sure actualy coating has much to do with it because at each side of my tongue i have some coating, but that does not smell

i am not sure how some type of zinc mouthwash would help. surely something would have to come in contact with the tongue for it to make any type of difference

also, when does somebody's tongue appearance stop developing? i only ever started paying atention to my tongue in the last couple of years. would i have had these crevices since childhood?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic