Page 1 of 2
I just want a chance at an abnormal life...
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:23 am
by LJ
I clearly have no interest in a normal life or normal way of thinking...but yes, I would like to be set free to enjoy my abnormal life.
I've got the cure for me; it's acceptance. And their are others that feed me the same remedy when they accept me and my "distance problem" They make my life even better than that of others.
If someone likes you; spends close up time with you; and you smell like shit; Hell they really, really like you. You're special. You have something good going on.
What does it take to sit down with a clean smeller type of feller? nothing; but to enjoy the company of an odor production plant means you have something that offsets or overrides your little odor issue. I think we should build on that.
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:11 pm
by noptical
I'm not going to accept this problem even if I have to fight it for my whole life. Which Im not.
Oh Noptical
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:26 pm
by LJ
Nop, nop!
who's there?
halitosis
halitosis who
halitosis is your neurosis....
Definition of neurosis: poor ability to adapt to one's environment, an inability to change one's life patterns, and the inability to develop a richer, more complex, more satisfying personality."
Re: Oh Noptical
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:48 pm
by noptical
LJ wrote:Nop, nop!
who's there?
halitosis
halitosis who
halitosis is your neurosis....
Definition of neurosis: poor ability to adapt to one's environment, an inability to change one's life patterns, and the inability to develop a richer, more complex, more satisfying personality."
Is this supposed to be funny?
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:05 am
by thanatos
relax
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:50 am
by LJ
Relax. It was a silly statement about the fact that we have some disorders here on this board other than halitosis. We tend to blame halitosis for everything that's wrong in our lives: "halitosis changed my personality" No, you let that happen.
But we've got a responsibility to ourselves to accept the condition and not work against our own mission of finding a way to be less odorous. (the cure as some call it)
We are clever people because we have to find a different way to live; it's no cakewalk I'll tell you; as a matter of fact this is very much a leprosy kind of condition.
But when you overcome your own fears; paranoia; (fear of rejection is the number one fear; even our beloved Tyra Banks checked her own breath in that breif video) you get stronger within yourself; your spirit; and people can see it and hear it in you. You no longer are controlled by it; people want to be with you in spite of it. They accept you; and you, if you're healthy enough, accept you as well.
This disorder can consume you if you let it though. It makes you think less of yourself; erodes the foundation of life which is survival; you're different; you're jealous of others without it; you'd take anything else; you'd die to avoid this problem. (I've been down this road trust me)
The more you fight it; the more desperate you become; the more tangled up you get; the less likely you are to get what you want; a complete remission.
You are too frightened to ask others what you smell like so that you can actually obtain useful data that may some day take you to that place you want to be; free from this condition.
But to really beat this you need courage and patience; and you need to cure yourself of the side effects of halitosis; such as neurosis and obsession and rejecting yourself before others do.
Isn't it crazy, but it's our lot folks; I just like to stay positive; and look there's a positive side to everything. I wish everyone the best and hope you find yours.
(not funny, ridiculous, caustic, bitter) Laura
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am
by Busted
Uhh LJ, about the "you let that happen" part. I think there isn't really much you can do about it. I mean are we all suppose to go out and pretend we never had bb at all ? I don't think there are many people who can be a hypocrite like that, unless u put yourself full of drugs or something. There are some people that can do it. For those who can do it, I must say good job, since they will probably have a bit more happier life. Being a hypocrite would just make me more depressed than I already am.
I'm pretty much sure as soon as someone hears about other people complaining about their bb. You pretty much become more self-conscious about it automatically. You start to interpret other people's reactions, which some members of this forum never even get, but unfortenately I do. If you read through this forum, you will see a lot of people show similar behaviour which can pretty much be called a psychological disease which is a consequence of halitosis. Something which you pretty much cannot avoid. They automatically start to avoid unnecessary conversations, because they feel like when they talk, they make th otehr person feel uncomfortable. Some people can deal with it better than others of course. I know the reason why i hate talkin to people is because when I see those reactions, it just kills me. It makes me so pissed of that almost no one suffers from it but me. I just makes me think I'm not normal, like I'm from another planet or something. I'm pretty much sure that the chance u will meet another person like u in real life by coincedence, is extremely small.
There is somethin a lot of members can say: And that is if bb never existed or they never suffered from it. Their Lives would be completely different.
"If u won't let IT happen, then society, relationships and communication will make it happen."
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:42 pm
by baguio
Busted wrote:Uhh LJ, about the "you let that happen" part. I think there isn't really much you can do about it.
I agree with Laura in that most long term complainants of this disorder have other issues - but they are related. However, I would be more inclined to agree with Busted as regards an opinion on the 'you let that happen' bit.
Basing my opinion on my own experiences, we all develop coping skills to deal with the effects of bb - which are all social problems. I mean, if bb was somehow acceptable to the general populace, we wouldnt have any problem would we?
So, whilst I think i was always more aloof, theres no doubt in my mind that this has been exaggerated because of this condition. I relax more when I'm on my own - and really enjoy my own space. For those that dont understand, i'm anti-social. I don't think its a case of me 'letting this happen' so much as its just the way I deal with bb. Sure, I could force myself to be more outgoing, but why should I do that if a. i am not relaxed in the company of others or b. they are not in mine specifically because of the effects of bb. I don't want ot surround my self with people who are going to pass comment (either directly - or more likely indirectly). Not to put too fine a point on it, it upsets me. For those of you who are thicker skinned, thats great - its a very important trait to have when you suffer from bb.
But given that it does annoy me, why should I force myself into situations that are supposed to be enjoyable but i'm not left alone to relax and enjoy?
my two cents...
I do understand....
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:42 pm
by LJ
By the way busted you need to learn how to utilize the word hypocrite. It would not be accurrate that I'm a hypocrite; try something else and I may agree with you.
As far as BB causing problems with our social lives; our state of mental health; it's obvious from so many I've talked to that they believe they are "stuck."
I decided many years ago (and maybe I've just had more time than the rest of you to think this through and decide what kind of life I"m going to have) that was it. No more hiding; though I very much enjoy my time alone. But I really enjoy other people too. I like having friends; and I'm lucky enough to have many.
Do they smell me? Yes, some do. But there are others with allergies; damaged senses of smell; and these people aren't bothered in the slightest by my presence.
That's an adaptation. I found who I could be around comfortably.
I do feel sorry for the people who have isolated and developed severe psychological problems; paranoia; general negative attitudes;depression; anxiety;feeling victimized; that's not a good place to be. But my point is to treat yourself well in this life. You are worth it.
Don't let yourself believe that just because you have bb; you are subhuman; you deserve nothing; you can't have a life. That's where our responsibility to ourselves come in. That's what I meant when I said, "you let it happen."
Victims are those who hide from an experience that could potentially unlock their inner strength that would amaze them.
Yes, you may have to endure some amount of comments; It's not going to kill you. I've been going thru it for decades. does that mean I don't like myself, because I don't care what others say? On the contrary I've spent the last 7 years becoming amused by it.
Laughter is some strong medicine. I take a daily dose of it; (Busted I don't need to dope up on drugs to deal with it; I just need a good sense of humor; and the idea that I am working to relieve the disability as best I can; proactive responses make you feel more in charge of your life. Not paralyzed in fear and stuck.)
I remember one lady telling me I needed to brush my teeth. So, I did. Then I went right up in her face and talked. She was shocked. I brushed but yet I smelled. (I just let her figure it out).
Question is: are you shutting down your own life out of fear? Are you allowing the bb to control you?
Do your best to find a way to live until the day comes that you have discovered your remedy. Wishing you all a sense of humor that gets you thru your day; and the strength to endure what you fear the most.
Laura
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:41 pm
by thanatos
two things...
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:53 am
by LJ
Thanatos;
Just to let you and all the people you need to speak for; on this site and I'm sure all the sites around the world; (I can speak for myself, apparently you need to have back up); I did not write my thread to mock your thread AT ALL. That was your interpretation.
I simply picked up on that line about a normal life; and arranged it to fit me. I gave no thought whatsoever to angering or unsettling you with it.
since you spent such extensive time to simply call me a bitch; I thought I would let it go at that and not see you spend your energy on things that really don't matter. Laura
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:43 pm
by austuser
I think LJ is the only one making any sense in this thread.
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:52 pm
by Jimi Stein
yes thano behave
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:55 pm
by Busted
LJ, what I meant was that this bb will always have some influence on that person's behaviour. You can't pretend you don't have it, because you always see those reactions of other people. There are people out there who just pretend they don't have it at all, and like I said, for them it's a good thing, because they will live a much happier life. They are hypocrites, but in this case I don't think it's a bad thing, since there aren't many other possibilites to live a happy life.
Btw I never said you were a hypocrite since i don't know you. I just said a person can't pretend nothing is wrong with him/her. I think you just talk to people in spite of the fact that you have bad breath. That's a good thing of course, but I hope you're not telling yourself that there's absolutely nothing wrong with you, and that you don't have bad breath at all, cause that would make you a hypocrite. But I don't think you are, otherwise you wouldn't be on this forum looking for cures
yOU can't blame people for their reactions, but at the same time you can't blame the victim for his/her sudden change in anti-social behaviour, as that person is a bit unsure if other people want him/her or not.
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:02 pm
by Jimi Stein
we are all antisocial not because we would like to be but because the envirinment has spit us out
i mean nobody never begins a conversation with me because of bb
i am banned from society also when i go out people become angry because my breath smells