I tried EVERYTHING and I'm finally cured!!
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:53 am
Just some background on me: I'm a 36 year old female, slender, exercise regularly and eat healthy.
I first discovered I had bad breath in high school. It wasn't as bad then and I believe it got worse as I aged. My parents occasionally mentioned that I had bad breath but no one else would say anything. I finally was told by my boyfriend of a year(who rarely kissed me) that I had bad breath all the time. I had no idea until I began paying close attention. I realized that he was right. I would regularly lick the back of my hand and smell my saliva and it was not pleasant. I was so embarrassed and self conscious. I was determined to find a cure.
I began trying different things beginning with oral hygiene- brushing more, flossing, mints, gum, chewing mint, parsley, gargling with everything from vinegar to baking soda. None of it worked.
I soon ruled out that it was a hygiene problem so I went to an ear nose throat doctor. He said I had post nasal drip. I received several nasal sprays and added a neti pot saline cleaner to my daily habit and the post nasal drip began to disappear. My bad breath did not!
The conclusion was that it had to be digestive. I went on many different diets from gluten free, fat free, vegetarian, high fiber. Nothing seemed to matter. No matter what I ate, how often, or how much it still persisted. I even tried various antacids, Prilosec for 2 weeks, various Probiotics, yogurt, vitamin C. Still no relief.
Finally I went to a Gastroenterologist and told him my situation. He ran some tests(not pleasant) but found that I tested positive for H Pylori, a bacteria which about half the world has. It is widely know to be linked to halitosis. Sometimes it has no symptoms and people go years until they get a peptic ulcer or stomach cancer. A large portion of people in developing countries and in the U.S. have H Pylori. I have been on a 10 day treatment which includes 2 antibiotics, 1 nexium and pepto bismol 4 times a day. There are several "triple treatments" available for it. Anyway, I am at the end of day 3 of treatment and I haven't had bad breath in 2 days! In just the first day of treatment my years of halitosis disappeared! I urge you to go to a specialist to get to the root of your problem because it may be more than just your diet or brushing your teeth more. I can't believe so many years of embarrassment could have been erased by just seeing a doctor sooner. Wikipedia or Google- H. Pylori. Good luck!
I first discovered I had bad breath in high school. It wasn't as bad then and I believe it got worse as I aged. My parents occasionally mentioned that I had bad breath but no one else would say anything. I finally was told by my boyfriend of a year(who rarely kissed me) that I had bad breath all the time. I had no idea until I began paying close attention. I realized that he was right. I would regularly lick the back of my hand and smell my saliva and it was not pleasant. I was so embarrassed and self conscious. I was determined to find a cure.
I began trying different things beginning with oral hygiene- brushing more, flossing, mints, gum, chewing mint, parsley, gargling with everything from vinegar to baking soda. None of it worked.
I soon ruled out that it was a hygiene problem so I went to an ear nose throat doctor. He said I had post nasal drip. I received several nasal sprays and added a neti pot saline cleaner to my daily habit and the post nasal drip began to disappear. My bad breath did not!
The conclusion was that it had to be digestive. I went on many different diets from gluten free, fat free, vegetarian, high fiber. Nothing seemed to matter. No matter what I ate, how often, or how much it still persisted. I even tried various antacids, Prilosec for 2 weeks, various Probiotics, yogurt, vitamin C. Still no relief.
Finally I went to a Gastroenterologist and told him my situation. He ran some tests(not pleasant) but found that I tested positive for H Pylori, a bacteria which about half the world has. It is widely know to be linked to halitosis. Sometimes it has no symptoms and people go years until they get a peptic ulcer or stomach cancer. A large portion of people in developing countries and in the U.S. have H Pylori. I have been on a 10 day treatment which includes 2 antibiotics, 1 nexium and pepto bismol 4 times a day. There are several "triple treatments" available for it. Anyway, I am at the end of day 3 of treatment and I haven't had bad breath in 2 days! In just the first day of treatment my years of halitosis disappeared! I urge you to go to a specialist to get to the root of your problem because it may be more than just your diet or brushing your teeth more. I can't believe so many years of embarrassment could have been erased by just seeing a doctor sooner. Wikipedia or Google- H. Pylori. Good luck!