My Journey begins: a full-on assault on Bad Breath
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 am
Okay everyone. April 19th, 2011, Just found the forum and dropping my story in here to add to the mix.
My personal background:
Basically, I'm 31 years old, I started to get feedback about my breath in my early 20's but it really hasn't become a strighforward problem till the last couple years. My girlfriend says I have bad breath, and it seems to be consistent for the last 2 years, but wasn't around during the first year of our relationship. It's not SO bad that it kills people when I walk into a room, but rather when I talk to them face-to-face its hard for some people. My sister also has bad breath but nothing that she notes too much.
My general gealth background:
I have seasonal allergies, and take Zyrtec + D (with pseudoephedrine) for 3-5 months out of the year, am lactose intolerant (take lactaid when I have to, but try to avoid whenever possible, although it is somewhat hard to avoid ice cream, cheese and chocolate, but have a good tolerance for most hard cheeses and small quantities of other stuff), and other than that have a fairly clean bill of health.
Here's what I have done so far to try and attack Halitosis:
- years ago I tried "breath assure" pills (now called "mint assure", available on Amazon.com), which don't work, but make my breath more pleasurable to myself. (no help)
- recently tried gargling olive oil a few times for about 15-20 sec which only temporarily masked or relieved BB for about 10 minutes (no help) I did this because I read somewhere that oral bacteria dont' stick to water but do stick to oil molecules. (no help)
- tried a lot of mouthwashes, flosses, including tea tree oil mouthwash (no help)
- Went to a Periodontist and got a deep dental cleaning. They checked everything in my mouth, cleaned all, and gave me a clean bill of oral health. Said any bad breath problems aren't due to anything they can see (no help)
- 2 months ago: Went to an ENT doctor (ear/nose/throat doctor). He examined me and sent a scope up my nose and down the back of my throat (for those interested, the scope really was pretty easy, actually). Suggested I may have Silent GERD and put me on 20mg of Omeprazole daily (AKA: Prilosec, available over the counter) which I tried for a month and did not help. For the record I do not have any other symptoms of gastric reflux, just bad breath.
- 2 weeks ago: went to a GI doctor (gastroenterologist). He suggested quadrupling the dose of anti-reflux medication and suggested that Nexium was better. I'm two days in to Nexium and will post results in a couple weeks. He also prescribed an endoscope which I will do in a few weeks and I also asked that we do a barium-swallow xray test to check for Zenkers Diverticulum (wikipedia it) because I'm trying to rule out stuff.
Next steps:
- do endoscope to see if this is GERD or not (Endoscope will show scarring in esophagus if it is GERD.
- do barium swallow to rule out Zenkers Diverticulum
- if Nexium doesn't work, I will try an allergy test, also investigating if this is the same as a VEGA test, or if that is a food tolerance test
- I will investigate candida by trying the candida diet
- I will investigate other elimination diets to see if that helps
- I will eventually try going to double doses of Prilosec OTC instead of Nexium, if it is GERD, because Nexium is extraordinarily expensive (30-days of 40mg pills, 2x per day, was like $450, though insurance paid $350 of that)
My personal background:
Basically, I'm 31 years old, I started to get feedback about my breath in my early 20's but it really hasn't become a strighforward problem till the last couple years. My girlfriend says I have bad breath, and it seems to be consistent for the last 2 years, but wasn't around during the first year of our relationship. It's not SO bad that it kills people when I walk into a room, but rather when I talk to them face-to-face its hard for some people. My sister also has bad breath but nothing that she notes too much.
My general gealth background:
I have seasonal allergies, and take Zyrtec + D (with pseudoephedrine) for 3-5 months out of the year, am lactose intolerant (take lactaid when I have to, but try to avoid whenever possible, although it is somewhat hard to avoid ice cream, cheese and chocolate, but have a good tolerance for most hard cheeses and small quantities of other stuff), and other than that have a fairly clean bill of health.
Here's what I have done so far to try and attack Halitosis:
- years ago I tried "breath assure" pills (now called "mint assure", available on Amazon.com), which don't work, but make my breath more pleasurable to myself. (no help)
- recently tried gargling olive oil a few times for about 15-20 sec which only temporarily masked or relieved BB for about 10 minutes (no help) I did this because I read somewhere that oral bacteria dont' stick to water but do stick to oil molecules. (no help)
- tried a lot of mouthwashes, flosses, including tea tree oil mouthwash (no help)
- Went to a Periodontist and got a deep dental cleaning. They checked everything in my mouth, cleaned all, and gave me a clean bill of oral health. Said any bad breath problems aren't due to anything they can see (no help)
- 2 months ago: Went to an ENT doctor (ear/nose/throat doctor). He examined me and sent a scope up my nose and down the back of my throat (for those interested, the scope really was pretty easy, actually). Suggested I may have Silent GERD and put me on 20mg of Omeprazole daily (AKA: Prilosec, available over the counter) which I tried for a month and did not help. For the record I do not have any other symptoms of gastric reflux, just bad breath.
- 2 weeks ago: went to a GI doctor (gastroenterologist). He suggested quadrupling the dose of anti-reflux medication and suggested that Nexium was better. I'm two days in to Nexium and will post results in a couple weeks. He also prescribed an endoscope which I will do in a few weeks and I also asked that we do a barium-swallow xray test to check for Zenkers Diverticulum (wikipedia it) because I'm trying to rule out stuff.
Next steps:
- do endoscope to see if this is GERD or not (Endoscope will show scarring in esophagus if it is GERD.
- do barium swallow to rule out Zenkers Diverticulum
- if Nexium doesn't work, I will try an allergy test, also investigating if this is the same as a VEGA test, or if that is a food tolerance test
- I will investigate candida by trying the candida diet
- I will investigate other elimination diets to see if that helps
- I will eventually try going to double doses of Prilosec OTC instead of Nexium, if it is GERD, because Nexium is extraordinarily expensive (30-days of 40mg pills, 2x per day, was like $450, though insurance paid $350 of that)