Page 1 of 1

Newbie here

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:09 am
by stevo96
Hi,
Has anyone tried the Oral Chromotogrpahy machine (like the halimeter)? I have. 3 weeks ago I visited an orthodontist on the sunshine coast (Australia). I did the test for the 3 VSC's. It came back with 86 PPB of Hydrogen sulfide and 4PPB of Dimethyl sulfide - the 86 was within the congnitive threshold which means people will be able to smell something and the Dimethyl was well below. I had a thorough clean with the orthodontist which was pretty painful! I was given the Kbliss gel and a toungue scraper and some Closys mouth wash.... I went back 2 weeks later and my results are as follows. Hydrogen sulfide at 40PPB and Dimethyl zero. I'm wondering if the scale and polish generated these resluts or the Kbliss tounge gel stuff??!! Has anyone else used one of these machines - Im wondering how accurate they are and if I should be worried about my BB? I asked my youngest son last night if could smell a farty smell when I spoke to him - he said no (He's 4!) Can't risk asking anyone else hence why I turned to the machine and I needed to know for definite if i had a problem or not. I dont understand how people on here know if they have a problem or if something has worked if they don't get tested unless they are asking partners / friends? Not sure if BB is heriditary but my dad has chronic bb. Just thought i'd share my limited story so far.....
Ps A great site by the way - very informative!

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:07 pm
by stevo96
Anyone use the Oral Chroma machine?

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:35 am
by halitosisux
This isnt answering your specific question, but since nobody has replied to that I would like to make a couple of points that I hope will help.

First of all, you've used the most accurate diagnostic equipment of all, the nose of a 4 year old with absolutely every reason to say YES if he could smell anything, but yet he said no!

If you have bad breath caused by oral bacteria, then the oral chroma test is a reliable way to measure the concentration of typical gases that these bacteria produce in excess that cause bad breath. Your measurements indicate that your concentrations are well below the cognitive threshold. Infact your readings even before your treatment were below the cognitive threshold.

Did the person who performed these tests ensure that you took no oral hygiene measures on the day of your tests and ensure that you refrained from eating or drinking anything but water for the correct amount of time before the tests? If you feel condident in the professionalism of your orthodontist and the tests that have been performed, then its highly likely that the thorough cleaning you had is all you needed.

You'll be amazing how many adults have the beginnings of gingivitis requiring such a cleaning and better ongoing care. Such problems with your gums are all it takes to produce bad whiffs on your breath.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:18 am
by halitosisux
I guess not then.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:25 am
by stevo96
Hi
Apologies for the late reply - it's been a long weekend here in Oz and i only access this site through work. The orthodontist asked me not to eat anything or drink anything for 4 hrs prior. The meeting was at 4pm so I still did my normal routine that morning. What I thought was great news when my son said he couldnt smell anything went the other way the day after with my older son (7yrs). I thought id test him... it didn't go well as I was only 6 inches from him and he backed off and went Eww.. Im confused now - it's amost like it's intermitent even though I do exactly the same routine each day. I finally got the balls to tell my missus the other night as I couldnt avoid her not seeing all the different chemicals and viles I have in the bathroom cupboard! That went OK although she stated that she's never noticed (been together 12 yrs) - I said that's because I never speak to her directy or closely...or kiss - it's been a long time. I feel much better for telling her and for sharing on here. I'm currently taking the 5 day Kbliss treatment then onto the 28 day course. The 5 day course tastes like bleach but Im on the last day today, then I start the probiotics for 28 days. I will see how I go after that. I have a deviated septum from a fight years ago so I'm going to got to a ENT for peace of mind.....
Has anyone else been on the Gas Chromo machine??

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:06 pm
by halitosisux
If your BB is of an intermittent nature then that may help you to discover what triggers your problem through experimentation.

If its purely random then it might indicate that its aspirating from somewhere like your sinuses (particularly with something like a deviated septum) or other area where odour can build up and get released in whiffs, such as pouches that can sometimes form in your esophagus, or maybe even your tonsils if they are packed with tonsil stones.

Are you certain that the problems with your gums have been completely dealt with? Diseased gum pockets can release intermittent strong whiffs of odour that dont show up during breath gas analysis.

If your breath gets worse when you eat something hard and chewy like toffee, that's apparently a very good way of identifying a source of odour coming from the gums.

Good luck with the probiotics anyway, please keep us informed.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:08 am
by stevo96
I can't really try the toffee test as I can never smell my own breath and I can't ask the missus..... I'm going to book in to see an ENT about sinus's / tonsil stones etc... I do have what look like holes in my tonsils and I've always thought, what stops the food from getting in there - I used to get tonsilitus alot when I was younger. I'll get it all checked out anyway. Thanks for your feedback - it really is appreciated to talk to someone about this.
If you could recommend one mouthwash - which one would it be given your experience?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:34 am
by ruch
you can test for smells between your teeth by smelling your dental floss after you use it between each tooth.

dioxi rinse and chlorhexidine/peridex have been the most effective everyday rinses for me

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:36 am
by halitosisux
You're welcome stevo and good luck.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:30 am
by halitosisux
The best mouthwash in my opinion is no mouthwash. The only thing I can recommend is perhaps something containing zinc chloride or zinc lactate. Triclosan works well too. Anything else is just a temporary mask or neutralizing effect that only makes things worse eventually. Most important too is very gentle physical removal of built-up tongue slough that are soaking up the odourous chemicals and shielding off saliva. As much as we all wish we could remove or kill these bacteria, we actually need them. The body has evolved to allow the colonization and development of a microbial flora for various beneficial reasons, but unfortunately when things go wrong they produce a stink that is unacceptable in this modern clean fake world that most of us live in.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:59 pm
by Phantasist
Most mouthwashes contain a sweetening agent, and that makes breath odor worse. Most of them are also alcohol based, and that dries out the mouth. Saliva is important because it contains antibacterial components.

Do you have a white coating on your tongue? If yes, then you should scrape it off before using an antibacterial rinse, because the coating shields the anaerobic bacteria living on the surface of the tongue.

The floss will pick up the odor of the plaque in the spaces between the teeth, but the odor from plaque is not really bad breath. You can only smell that odor from about an inch away. It doesn't seem to carry farther than that.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:49 am
by stevo96
No bleeding gums and no smell on the floss.... I'm trying the alkaline diet at the moment as I do eat a lot of crap (Rice, pasta, meat, spicey sauces) etc... So it was watermelon for breakfast - has anyone tried this before and stuck to it? I'm wondering if we only ate vegetables and fruit if that would help!? I have also booked to see an ENT in 3 weeks so he can have a gander at my tonsils as they do have a few pits in them, probably from tonsilitus as a kid...
I recall when my nose was broke and the ENT guy had a look up there, he asked if I smoked - I've always wondered why he asked that, he may of seen something that wasn't right?
I love my missus but it doesn't half annoy me when she brushes her teeth with a normal toothbrush for 30 seconds and has perferct breath! How lucky some people are. It takes me about 15 minutes with everything I currently do!

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:38 am
by danger
stevo, do you know if your tongue has any odour on it?

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:05 pm
by stevo96
Not sure if my tongue has an odour - the Gas Chromo machine had my Hydrogen sulfide at about 40 parts per billion but that could have been eminating from my gums / teeth / throat / tongue etc. He did say that this particluar gas was more attributed to poor oral health....
My BB is defo intermitent - it gets a lot worse if I drink beer and other days no smell at all (according to my kids).... At the moment I'm taking the internal probiotics (inner health) and the K somethng or other from Dr speiser (oral probiotics), I'm also changing my diet to a more alkaline diet although ive since read that this hasnt been scientifically proven but in general is a much more healthy diet consisting mainly of fruit and veg with a touch of protein and carbs.... Does anyone know any really healthy people with BB? I guess what I'm getting at is that it could be down to diet but then again I know obese people who eat crap and do no exercise and still have decent breath! Very confusing.....