Page 1 of 3

Update on bad breath...seem to be cured but lets see

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:12 pm
by smellslikedodo
Started topic here viewtopic.php?t=3787

I finally broke down and bought metronidazole from online. Was nervous as all hell but figured WTF, may as well try it. Was quite cheap, only $15 for 100 tablets. I got 200 mg.

Got it almost 3 weeks ago. Just been using it as a mouthwash cuz i read some people on here tried that and it worked. Plus I don't really wanna swallow it whole cuz i'm really only focusing on my mouth and I figure less side effects if i do it the mouthwash way.

I've been crushing up a 200 mg tablet every morning and night, mixing it with filtered water, and then swishing it around my mouth for as long as I can stand it. It tastes TERRIBLE. I gagged the first few times. But figure it ain't gonna be easy gettin rid of bb so just stand it. Also read a study where they mentioned mixing it with OJ, but i decided mixing with plain water might make it more effective.

So far bb seems to be a lot less. I'm not getting any reactions from what I can tell. I'm constantly payin attention trying to see if people back away or turn their head but haven't noticed it. I also keep doing the lick wrist test and it doesn't smell nearly as bad as it used to. Actually it doesn't really smell like anything.

Only been 3 weeks though, i'm half expecting it to stop working any day now but i'm trying to think positively. Lets see what happens in another 3 weeks. I'll keep everyone updated.

Re: Update on bad breath...seem to be cured but lets see

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:46 pm
by hopelessone
smellslikedodo wrote:Started topic here viewtopic.php?t=3787

I finally broke down and bought metronidazole from online. Was nervous as all hell but figured WTF, may as well try it. Was quite cheap, only $15 for 100 tablets. I got 200 mg.

Got it almost 3 weeks ago. Just been using it as a mouthwash cuz i read some people on here tried that and it worked. Plus I don't really wanna swallow it whole cuz i'm really only focusing on my mouth and I figure less side effects if i do it the mouthwash way.

I've been crushing up a 200 mg tablet every morning and night, mixing it with filtered water, and then swishing it around my mouth for as long as I can stand it. It tastes TERRIBLE. I gagged the first few times. But figure it ain't gonna be easy gettin rid of bb so just stand it. Also read a study where they mentioned mixing it with OJ, but i decided mixing with plain water might make it more effective.

So far bb seems to be a lot less. I'm not getting any reactions from what I can tell. I'm constantly payin attention trying to see if people back away or turn their head but haven't noticed it. I also keep doing the lick wrist test and it doesn't smell nearly as bad as it used to. Actually it doesn't really smell like anything.

Only been 3 weeks though, i'm half expecting it to stop working any day now but i'm trying to think positively. Lets see what happens in another 3 weeks. I'll keep everyone updated.
I soooooo pray this continues until the entire malady is banished to the nether regions of Never Never Land. God bless you.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:38 pm
by mike987
Yeah, just be sure to keep us updated.

Did you get this without a prescription?

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:19 pm
by Jimi Stein
I think antibiotics will not stop working, if you keep on using them. I see this as a day to day solution. You might swallow only 1 %, so that is still ok if you ask me.

I am doing it too with augmentin. Yes metrodinazole is really cheap here in thailand. I will test it too.

The only thing that decreaed my bb for longer tiime than 1 day are antibiotics, raw food, macrobiotics......

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:12 pm
by Free2breath911
where can i those same pills at?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:39 am
by clara0
@smellslikedodo So you do not eat them? just wash your mouth with the solution? and where you did the get them online, could you please give the link?

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:06 am
by smellslikedodo
@mike987 - Yeah i got it without prescription. As if my dickwad doctors would actually write me a prescription. THey think i'm making my bb up.

@clara0 - No i don't swallow them. I don't think it's neccessary plus i'm scared of side effects. I think using it as mouthwash is better since i think my problem is bad bacteria on my tongue so i figure no need to swallow it. Just swish it around in my mouth as long as i can stand it.

Don't think i can post links on the forum, but if you just Google "Metronidazole mouthwash" you'll find it on the first page...

bb

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:01 pm
by exume
cool might try these out i also smell like doodoo :(

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:56 am
by foxhound
Is it not unhealthy to use metronidazole mouthwash permanently?

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:57 am
by halitosisux
I would imagine that bacteria eventually become resistant to the metronidazole in the same way that they do if taken systemically. The only reason why metronidazole works so well (when it does) against BB when taken systemically is because it's being constantly secreted in saliva. This is not the same case if you turn metronidazole into a mouthrinse. It's like using a mouthwash designed to kill only anaerobic bacteria - which any oxygenating mouthwash will also do, such as hydrogen peroxide or chlorine dioxide, and anaerobic bacteria cannot become resistant to these oxygenating chemicals, unlike metronidazole and other antibiotics.

I think the reason why most antibacterials lose their effectiveness (of reducing odour) is not because bacteria become resistant, its because microorganisms which are less affected by any given antibacterial chemical, including fungi, begin to dominate. The tongue coating thickens, resulting in even more microbial activity than before. So it just forms a vicious circle.

Even if you then introduce an antifungal chemical, you'll only end up with the eventual development of fungal resistance too.

Trying different probiotic blends while using hydrogen peroxide or chlorine dioxide could provide a solution, as it did for one member who is still cured months after. I would first try the Bliss-K12 if you can, otherwise try going through as many different blends as you can to see what helps. This probably wont lead to a permanent cure, but it could provide you with a sustainable daily system that reduces your BB to acceptable levels.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:18 pm
by angst-ridden
How much water do you use when you crush 1 tablet? I used to ingest metronidazole before, and my saliva stopped to smell in an instant. But i stopped when i started experiencing side effects, like getting getting those tingly sensations.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:33 pm
by smellslikedodo
angst-ridden wrote:How much water do you use when you crush 1 tablet? I used to ingest metronidazole before, and my saliva stopped to smell in an instant. But i stopped when i started experiencing side effects, like getting getting those tingly sensations.
I don't really measure it. Just enough water to fill my mouth so i can rinse with. I use one of those small dixie cups, about the same size as you always get at the dentist when they tell you to swish with that flouride rinse.

Still seems to be working. Not gettin any reactions and am talkin to people more and more now without freakin out about my bb. Wonderin if it's a dream i'm gonna wake up from soon though. Also wonderin if and when i should stop the mouthwash. I'm takin probiotics now too. I'm thinkin the probiotics will help once I stop the mouthwash but at this point not sure if i should stop yet. If it isn't broke...

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:27 am
by halitosisux
You definitely should keep going at this stage if there isn't a reason to stop. I've always wanted to know if using metronidazole as a mouthwash could work for type-1 BB and I dont know of anyone else on here who has tried it. What type of probiotics are you using and how do you take them?

How often do you use the rinse?

This is actually a perfect way to discover whether your BB has anything to do with TMAU or your gut, because all it's doing is very effectively killing the anaerobic bacteria in your mouth, it's not neutralizing any odourous chemicals like chlorine dioxide or hydrogen peroxide would do which could disguise odourous chemicals being secreted as they would do in the case of TMAU.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:28 am
by hali_grl
i hope this continues to work for you when you come off the metro bc w/ my experience my bb came right back once i stopped i think its important to get to the main cause or the root of your bb to really cure this thing.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:28 am
by foxhound
bump, any updates on this? I really think to try it the same way.